D&D 5E IG's "It's a Brand New World" [IC]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Life on the open sea is something Garrison has come to treasure, and the steady wind from the Northeast means they are practically running for much of the journey. Garrison completes his duties ably -- he climbs among the rigging, as needed, but he will admit that he has made a one or two showy leaps, when he has seen Maighan on the fo'c'sle. He possesses more grace than one might expect for a being his size, and he does like the open sea.

Garrison is one of the crew who take the night watch -- his eyes work fine in the dark, and he doesn't mind the solitude. It means his rotation is slightly different than much of the crew. He wakes around noon; mends or reinforces sails through to evening; and he often takes the second watch at night, heading to bed with first light.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Soft... warm...'What!?!?' the man thought as he came awake with an inarticulate scream, sitting up so quickly that he bashed his head on the wooden bunk above him. With stars exploding in his vision to blind him and his head aching mightily, he groans and rolls sideways to fall on the wooden decking. 'Wooden decking?? The SHIP!' he thought with joy as he slumped to the deck and felt the roll of the ship on the waves, so different from the hectic tossing of his small raft. Eventually, his head stopped spinning and his vision cleared enough for him to look around and see that he was alone. His burnt hands and other wounds were bandaged though, so he had been tended to.

With a mighty effort, he made his way to his knees, and then to his feet. Leaning on the walls, he staggered and slid forward until he found a hatch leading to the deck and the salty smelling air which felt so good in his lungs. The daylight dazzled his eyes and he stumbled and fell out onto the deck after tripping on the last step up. His muscles shook as he straied to rise again to his hands and knees. With his head hung low, his unruly mane of long black hair hid his face and his shame.

pathfinderq1

First Post
- Kingsport
The Blackthorn Arcanists respectfully raise the casket onto a newly conjured floating disk and lead it onto Weeping Mary. A pair of crewmen guide the wizards below deck, and soon the casket is out of sight. A tall man approaches you all and extends his hand. "I'm the captain of Weeping Mary, and this is Jon, my first mate. This'll be his last journey with us, as he'll be calling Silverport home with his new baby boy there.

Jon, too, extends his hand in greeting. He stops at J'hanna and looks at her solemnly. "We're deeply sorry for your loss, dear. Please let us know if there is anything you need."

Soon the greetings are over, the sun begins to peek over the horizon, and Weeping Mary sets out to the open Grieving Sea.

J'hanna twitches, just a bit, at the man's condolence, obviously momentarily jolted out of her own thoughts. "My thanks, good sir. The best thing we can do is to get him home. He, we have been away too long." After a momentary smile, though, the despondent, hangdog look returns to her face.

During the first few days of the voyage, J'hanna tries to stay out of the way. While not as seasick as some of the others, she is obviously queasy and uncomfortable, far more used to the comfort of solid ground. She knows the value of hard work, and tries to keep out of the sailors' way as much as possible- much as she would expect a sailor to stay out of her work if they were on a farmstead... Each day she makes a bit of time to go down into the hold, standing beside the carefully stowed coffin and reporting the events of the day, like she had told the old man of her "adventures' in Kingsport, back when he was first confined to a sickbed.

With the rolling motion of the ship, and the busy deck, she has little time to practice, but she does what stretches and exercise she can- she would not have her hard-earned skills wither any more than necessary. And, of course, she spends more than a little time each day as close to the prow of the ship as she can get, peering eagerly across the rolling waves, hoping for the first glimpse of land...

industrygothica

Adventurer
"Aye! You're up!" A gruff voice met him as he opened the hatch, and a strong, meaty hand followed. "Come on up here, get some strength back into those bones of yours. We got some food and drink when you're ready." His strong hand claps you on your back. "You'll be at home here on Sea Bride for as long as you need."

OOC: Handwaving a few days into the future....

The crewman from the merchant ship Sea Bride call you Justice because that's what you were muttering with they scooped you from the ocean. It seems good enough. They nursed your wounds, fed you, clothed you, and reminded you of what it was like to be in the company of other living beings. And for the first time in a long time, despite the passion for justice you feel inside, you've felt yourself smile.

The mood changes quickly, however, when someone spots the grayed silhouette of another ship in the distance. "Justice, if you remember anything at all about the Grieving Sea, you'll know that it's full of pirates. Can't trust anyone other than your own shipmates. That boat's heading this way... how's your sword arm?"

###​
"All hands, be ready!" Jon stood next to the captain gazing out over the Grieving Sea. Another ship had crested the horizon, and this wouldn't be the first time that Jon and the captain had to defend Weeping Mary from pirate activity. "Could be nothing," Jon says to whoever may be standing by. "But it's best to prepare just in case."

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Nissa stayed below deck. The thought of a confrontation made her stomach churn...not because she was afraid of whatever was out there but of what she might do in the thick of combat.

sithramir

First Post
Aedon makes way to the captain, "If it's alright with you, I'm going to send my Falcon to scout it out for us and hopefully understand what's out there."

Aedon whistles for his familiar who's been roosting on top of the mast and sends him towards the oncoming ship.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Garrison stands by the port gunwale, his short sword ready but still sheathed. He pulls on a few ropes and checks a knot. His eyes look up to the sails, and he estimates their trim -- the captain is clearly doing all he can to avoid conflict, and, from his position on the deck, it seems to Garrison that the seams he stitched in the jib staysail the previous week were holding well. He has no station, and so he is merely ready to repel boarders.

[sblock=ooc]Okay, I'm not entirely sure what Garrison's position on the ship is. He's part of the crew,and not a galley slave. I'm treating him as if he were an able seaman, but perhaps he's more? Been made midshipman, perhaps? In any case, if *I* knew, then *he'd* know, and he might have more detail in his posts. :D[/sblock]

Phoenix8008

First Post
He liked being called 'Justice'. It kept reminding him of his purpose. This was a good crew, but they weren't his crew. He was happy to have gotten his sea legs back and to have recovered some measure of his strength by the time the approaching ship was spotted a few days later...

"My arm would feel stronger if it held a sword in it's hand. And perhaps some armor if there's any to spare?" Justice asks. "If they be pirates, then let 'em come forward and help me quench my thirst for justice on their kind!"

Shayuri

First Post
Maighan spent most of her time on deck. The motion of the ship took a little getting used to, but it wasn't THAT far different from being perched high in a tree when wind blew through. And the view was rather spectacular. The sheer novelty of seeing so FAR, with nothing to block one's vision...it was like staring off into forever.

So she slept on the hindcastle, near the helm, unrolling her bedding and curling up inside. She took to the rigging naturally and easily, and most of her shipboard duties involved rope and climbing and...it was all rather entertaining really, once she started getting a feel for the alien jargon that sailors employed. When not on duty, Maighan went to the bow of the ship to watch the horizon, and gaze down into the sea.

The cry of alarm went up just before she saw the other ship herself. In quick stides she crossed to her bedroll and plucked her bow and arrows from under it all.

"Are we sure they mean to attack?" she asked the captain as she squinted off into the distance at the smudge of the ship on the horizon.

Remove ads