D&D 5E IG's "It's a Brand New World" [IC]

industrygothica

Adventurer
pirate-ships-27239-1366x768.jpg

Nissa is able to retreat to the quarterdeck for a better vantage point while Aedon backs up toward the port side and tries to make sense of things.

[sblock=Nissa]Aedon's back is to the water and he's obviously distracted by the scene playing out before you. He doesn't immediately notice the two men climbing over the port-side rails, but you can make spot them well enough.[/sblock]

[sblock=Aedon (Perception DC 15)]Even though the scene before you has your complete attention, you somehow notice the two men slipping quietly over the port-side rails behind you.[/sblock]

J'hanna is the first to see action as one of the men charge toward her the instant he notices her armor through the lifting fog. She's ready for him though, and he runs head-on into the edge of her blade. Garrison seizes the moment and seems to appear from thin air behind the assailant, finishing him off with a quick strike of his short sword.

Maighan awakens the old wood momentarily and is able to hinder that avenue of approach at least for the time being. One of the assailants manages to dance his way through the conjured foliage bury his scimitar into the first crewman he sees.

"No!" It was Jon's shouting voice that stole her concentration only for an instant. Maighan turned, and he pointed. "Get them. Find a way!" She saw what he was referring to: on the other ship stood three men together, watching. One was in a wizarding robe not unlike those of the visitors from Blackthorn. The other two wore mail armor, and it was the one in the center who appeared to be giving the directions.

#​

"Take her out," the captain said, placing a hand on Justice's shoulder. That caster's going to be a thorn until we get rid of her; she's likely the one who set our sails alight. Grab another board, and Thomerin will cover you from here.

[sblock=Justice, Perception DC 15]The captain mentions the burning sails and you can't help but look up to the flames. While some of the sails are indeed burning, and subsequently being dealt with by the crew, that particular sail, you notice, is completely intact with no immediately obvious signs of ever having been on fire.[/sblock]

OOC: Just to recap and make sure everyone's on the same page:
Nissa and Aedon secure a better position.
J'hanna and Garrison take out one of the attackers
Maighan cripples further boarding (as long as she maintains concentration)
Justice gets his orders.

1 attacker is dead. Two are entangled. Three more are on the ship getting into positions of their own.

Aedon and Justice each need to make a Perception check to look in the sblocks. Everyone else stay out (or at least respect player vs. character knowledge if you decide to read).

Last edited:

sithramir

First Post
[roll0]

Aedon does not notice the men climbing the ship. He is still focusing to see if this fight needs to use deadly force.

OOC: Let me know how timing will work. Will they get to me first, will the warning allow me to react? I would likely use a cantrip attack on them since clearly they would indicate that this requires lethal force

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
[sblock=Perception Check]Invisible Castle is down, so I rolled in front of my wife for verification. Rolled a 14 +2 for perception is 16 which makes the check.[/sblock]
Justice glances up at the flaming sails... the sail that's on... 'What? Where's the fire?', he thinks to himself for a moment before putting the pieces together. His eyes narrow as he quickly decides his next course of action.

[sblock=Deception Check]Rolled in front of daughter for confirmation. Rolled 19 +3 for total of 22 on Deception to convince the Captain and the mage that he is still on their side.[/sblock]
Glancing at the Captain, Justice nods and smiles before jokingly saying "Permission to leave the ship, sir?" When he gets a nod back, he crosses in front of the Captain and past the wizard before stopping and turning around as if he just remembered something. He ends up standing beside Thomerin, with the wizard between him and the Captain. Holding out his left hand as if to shake it, he tells the man "Cover me well and I'll take out the other caster before you know it!" If the man takes his hand, then Justice stabs his longsword up trying to gut the man under their interlocked arms. If the wizard refuses to take his hand, then Justice shrugs and turns around as if to walk away, but instead keeps turning and slashes out with his blade at neck height trying to take out the wizard quickly. Now that his deception is no longer needed, he snarls at the wizard and his Captain- "Filthy pirates! At least I'll have lived to kill a few more of you if nothing else!"

[sblock=Attack/Details]Longsword attack= 1d20+5= 22 to hit, 1d8+3= 10 slashing damage to the wizard.

AC: 16 (assuming just the chainmail, since no shield was mentioned as available)
HP: 11[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
Aedon doesn't notice the two men climbing over the rail, but Nissa's warning alerts him quickly enough so that they don't get the jump on him from behind.

"Cover me well and I'll take out the other caster before you know it!" The captain is please at Justice's excitement for battle. And the grin on Thomerin's face is...

The captain is speechless as the mage slumps to the deck, now littered with his own entrails. But his voice comes back soon enough. "Men! There's a traitor among us!" Just as quickly Justice finds himself engaged with two of the captain's lackeys, while the captain himself backs out of harm's way.

Back on Weeping Mary Jon howls with excitement. "Did you see that! They're turning on each other! Now's our chance men!" Several men lay another plank and begin boarding the pirate ship, Jon leading the charge.

OOC: This is a sort of mass battle, so it could get confusing. I'll try to simplify things. The PCs have to deal with 8 pirates before the encounter concludes. There are many more pirates on board both ships, but we can assume anything other than those 8 are being dealt with by NPCs. Currently there are 2 dead (we'll count the wizard as one), and 2 entangled. 2 more are on Aedon, and another 2 are on Justice. You can either help out with those, or you can assume that there is another pirate somewhere within your range.

It's the PC's turn.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Nissa goes to Aedon's side and tries to distract his opponents to give Aedon a better chance at taking them down.

OOC: Using the "Help" action, PHB page 192, to give Aedon Advantage on his next attack.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Garrison is heartbroken that the fighting continues, and is sorry that no one is able to hear him over the clamour and confusion of the fight. He heads towards Aedon, hoping to help. He is unnoticed, but as he strikes, he hesitates, drawing back because he is certain this is all a mistake.

[sblock=rolls]Attack is 1d20+5=7, no damage...[/sblock]

sithramir

First Post
Aedon, seeing as his options are limited states to the men, "I suggest you go back whence you came or pay the consequences". He whistles a call for his Celestial Hawk to attempt to distract one of the men while he chants one of his deadlier spells aiming it at the second. Nissa's help hopefully allowing him to succeed.

[roll0] (Attack 16)
[roll1] (Attack 13)
[roll2] (Damage 13)

OOC: Aedon would like to move back if he can avoid an AoO and he will have his hawk show up (perhaps next round?) to aid his ally in melee for the next attack being that he won't have much else useful to do

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
The last remnants of "fog" and the swirling chaos of the fight kept J'hanna locked in place for the moment- despite her intentions, she didn't even notice the fight developing around Aedon. It was tough enough for her to tell friend from foe, since even the faces of her own ship's crew weren't exactly familiar.

But when one of the pirates came charging across the deck, she reacted instinctively, lashing out with her heavy blade....

[sblock= OOC] Perception roll to see what was going on near Aedon was glorious 3, so she will take on a random pirate nearby. Longsword attack 1d20+5= 19, damage is only 4 though. Rolls http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4752570/ [/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
Aedon, seeing as his options are limited states to the men, "I suggest you go back whence you came or pay the consequences". He whistles a call for his Celestial Hawk to attempt to distract one of the men while he chants one of his deadlier spells aiming it at the second. Nissa's help hopefully allowing him to succeed.

[roll0] (Attack 16)
[roll1] (Attack 13)
[roll2] (Damage 13)

OOC: Aedon would like to move back if he can avoid an AoO and he will have his hawk show up (perhaps next round?) to aid his ally in melee for the next attack being that he won't have much else useful to do
OOC: What spell is Aedon using?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases