Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
5 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook

Based on the D&D 3.5 ruleset, Pathfinder updates and improves on the original. It would not be inaccurate to describe this as "D&D 3.75". It's been the best selling RPG for years for a reason.

Last edited:

koga305

First Post
3 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook

As an update of the 3.5E rules, Pathfinder does a good job, smoothing out some of the system's rough points and adding well-written material. The system itself is comprehensive but complex, and takes a lot of mechanical know-how to play or run effectively. Additionally, mechanical balance between classes is not the best, although improved from 3.5.

The book itself is a beautifully illustrated brick and it's not very useful to new players learning the system. It's better as a reference for those who already know the rules inside and out, but you may be better off using the (searchable) PRD or d20pfsrd at the table or for character building.

Last edited:

Henrix

Explorer
3 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook

This is a very solid set of rules. Fundamentally it is a cleaned up D&D 3.5, errataing a lot of things.Had it stopped there it would have been good, but when trying to rebalance things they always add more. All classes have more abilities, you have more choices in combat, more feats to choose from, etc.It becomes overladen quickly.But if you want a complex game with lots and lots of options, don't mind book keeping, and your whole group is on the same level, go for it.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?

...Pathfinder has done wonderfully!Grappling, disarming, or tripping someone? Over here.Truly diverse player options but not 1000+ classes? This way.Alchemists? Effective rogues? Awesome new monsters? Pathfinder, Pathfinder, Pathfinder.This is hands down the best and most thorough rules system for low-to-high fantasy games, with comprehensive mechanics that are easily accessible, varied, and with a stronger balance than anything else out there today. You can check them out for free right now (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/) before you buy—all of them.

grafikchaos

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook

I fell out of love with D&D when 3rd edition came out. I think they kept the heart of the game, but it was just too much. Being a husband and father, I just didn't have time to absorb all of the rules and stay on top of the system. I saw Pathfinder, and after doing a little research, everyone was calling it D&D, only better. So, I had to check it out for myself. Yes, all of the bad issues with 3.5 where revised and corrected. The creation of the world and its inhabitants are bar none some of the best rpg writing out there.But, to me, it's still 3.5. There are a lot of rules in there. Exceptions, modifiers, systems within systems. It was maddening to learn, and just as maddening to teach. I tried so very hard to like it. I really did. But I just couldn't devote the time and energy needed to truly learn the system like it needs to be learned. Personally, use the world books and setting information to your heart's content. Just don't get in to Pathfinder system unless you really want a steeper (for an rpg) learning curve.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post

A game that simply takes all of 3.5e and makes it more interesting. Some of the flaws remain, but it improve on so many things. A great game.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic

Okay, 3E got me back to D&D but Pathfinder kept me gaming and this is the book that provided me with everything I needed to keep my players coming back to my table. Beautiful look, layout and art, with solid rules.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases