Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: GameMastery Guide

5 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: GameMastery Guide

This is one of the few books that does a great job of introducing refereeing and honing existing skills for the experienced referee. Useful far beyond the scope of simply Pathfinder.

Zeitgeist

First Post

I would highly recommend this book to anyone doing any kind of GM'ing/DM'ing. I found it useful for more than just Pathfinder. While there are things that are specific to Pathfinder, the advice covers just about every kind of situation , players and kind of games I have had experience with. For those who are experienced GM'ing, this book may not be as useful, for those new to the experience it is perhaps the best guide I have read on the subject. Many of the things that were Pathfinder specific I found I could use in others games just fine, especially fantasy based. The world build, place names, NPC creation, etc. was easily adaptable, and while probably not really needed if you have any sort of imagination, I found it helpful. I love the cover and most of the art within. Overall this was a fantastic book and I would highly recommend, especially to new GMs.

JLant

First Post

Even though it's for PF RPG, excellent advice for *any* RPG.

Starfox

Adventurer
3 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: GameMastery Guide

This is "Gamemastering For Dummies", a book of tip and advice for how to run a game in Pathfinder. Much of the content is generic, and works for other games with a similar narrative structure. That is, this book would probably work less well for games with more of a narrative structure, like Fate. But it does say Pathfinder on the cover, so that is not a weakness.

Overall the advice is sound. There are few surprises here for for an experienced gamemaster, but there is a lot of moments of fond recognition and every reader will likely get a few epiphanies. The book is also reasonably structured, so if you have a specific problem you want a solution for, you can probably find it quickly.

This is a fluff kind of book, it has a few rules near the end, but these are neither particularly important or particularly good. The drug rules in particular seem written more to teach kids not to do drugs than to actually be a serious game option. This is not a book you'll need to the game session, and perhaps that is its greatest weakness; if you can borrow this book to read it that is generally quite sufficient. Still, as the latest in the long series of reference books for gamemasters, this has a niche to fill. Newer GMs will find solutions to a lot of problems in here.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases