D&D 5E [5e] The Lichway - Old School Dungeon with new school rules.

Dr Simon

Explorer
This is combining two things I want to have a go at playing. The 5th Edition rules, and an adventure from White Dwarf issue 9 (from 1978) called The Lichway, by Albie Fiore. If you read my WD reviews from a couple of years back, you'll have seen me raving about this adventure, which is a neat little dungeon crawl of the old style, but with some great touches, and easy enough to convert to other rules.

IC Thread
Rogues Gallery

Adventure background, to be used to provide motivation to your characters:

The Sandlanders were a dour coastal people who valued their material wealth above all else. Their dead, and their wordly goods, were ferried across the vast Korm Basin to a cavern at the end, where their priesthood received them into the Crypt of Life, a complex otherwise known as the Lichway. For many generations now, however, no barges have travelled down the Korm Basin to the Lichway. An earthquake and successive assaults by lizardmen, drove the Sandlanders away and the Lichway was abandoned, but it is rumoured that the vast wealth of the Sandlanders remains hidden somewhere within.

That is not to say that others haven't tried to find it. A few months ago the wizardess Dark Odo and some of her henchmen set off in search of the Lichway and never returned. Just a day or so ago, some local men of dubious reputation took a boat down the Korm Basin. And the local woodsman Ferro reports seeing a band of Green Star goblins pursuing some kobolds in that direction.

The adventure begins with the party's boat crossing the Korm Basin towards its southern end, where cliffs rise and the great tidal lake continues into a huge vaulted cavern...

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I'm throwing my hat in the ring. I've never played 5e, but have been dying to try.
I'm tempted by a warlock with criminal background.
Would that work?

Cheers,

Steve Gorak

toasterferret

Explorer
I'm down, been itching to try out 5E.

I'm thinking of playing a Cleric/Wizard maybe? Or a cleric/rogue if we need someone sneaky. Any particular preference?

Dr Simon

Explorer
Steve Gorak, yes, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work, go for it!

Toasterferret, I believe I wore your shoes once in Hayabusa's Dawn of Defiance. Either of those would work - a rogue is always useful in 1e-based stuff, but not essential to this adventure, I would say. Note that as 1st level characters you wouldn't be able to multi-class yet (although there are some feats that allow a bit of crossover between classes, also a criminal background cleric, or an acolyte background wizard, would give you a close approximation.

toasterferret

Explorer
Ok, I pulled the trigger and made up a character.

Introducing Nissa "Flyleaf" Nackle, a shy gnome knowledge domain cleric interested in exploring the Lichway for its historical and archaeological value!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20432493/Nissa.pdf

c180c64bb009fc0f54bae1880359037c.jpg

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
Ah, cool! I like the idea of Stormhaven Library - that's something I should have mentioned in the initial post; aside from the Lichway background there's no particular setting or background so whatever you bring with your character goes into canon.

I'll see if I can recruit any others: [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION], [MENTION=93196]Axel[/MENTION], [MENTION=1231]Kaodi[/MENTION], [MENTION=2710]jkason[/MENTION], [MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION], [MENTION=29558]Mowgli[/MENTION], [MENTION=51271]Voda Vosa[/MENTION], [MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION], [MENTION=30034]ghostcat[/MENTION] - as players in my other games, any of you interested in a simple 5e adventure?

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
My intent wast to multiclass into sorcerer, but working on the background, it makes more sense to me to start off as sorcerer. So If ok, I'll start as a level 1 sorcerer, and the second level will be warlock. I'm targeting to have a character sheet ready by tomorrow.
Cheers,

SG

Kaodi

Hero
The one 5e adventure I was in died because the DM was not satisfied with our glacial posting pace (I do not blame him, either, but long periods of nothing just seem to be how PbP here works often). So I guess I could whip something up with the basic rules. I could probably go for a rogue too to fill that role, and apportion ability points appropriately for a more combat based one.

Kaodi

Hero
Hmmm... One Lazy Dwarf: Mountain Dwarf Folk Hero Rogue 1, Str 17 Dex 12 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 10 Cha 8, Animal Handling, Deception, Intimidate+, Perception, Stealth+, Survival, Brewers' Supplies, Thieves' Tools.

jkason

First Post
Thanks for the thought, but I've not even glanced at the 5e rules, I'm afraid, and my current schedule makes it unlikely I'll have the time to do so anywhere near what someone would call soon, so I'll have to pass. Thanks for thinking of me, though!

Remove ads