D&D 5E [5e] The Lichway - Old School Dungeon with new school rules.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Likewise, Dr. Si - thanks for thinking of me! I'm not looking at 5E right now (probably not ever :(). Nothing at all against 5E - I've just gotten to that point where I don't have the time (or money) to invest in another game system.

Brother Dave

First Post
I'm interested if you don't mind adding someone who hasn't played for you before. Most of my games are moving along pretty slowly, so I'm fairly confident I can handle one or two more.

I've been thinking about making up a 'gentle giant' type of character - a heavy weapons fighter or barbarian with an acolyte or artisan background, raised as an orphan by the church but without a true calling or aptitude for the clergy. Maybe with a tie-in to Nissa (if toasterferret has no objections), going along as a protector / unlikely-friend / someone-to-reach-things-on-the-top-shelf? :)

I'll try to get something worked up and posted later today or tonight (probably tonight since I don't have my phb with me and I want to look at some of the feats).

Axel

First Post
Thanks for thinking of me Doctor Si. The general answer is yes! I'd love to get in on the act.

The difficult part is being stuck on Koolan Island (you can see it in google maps, about an hour's flight north of Derby, off the West Australian coast - remote doesn't do it justice). It's lucky to have internet, though I only have my phone.

If you can wait till next week, I'd throw in with an elven bard.

toasterferret

Explorer
I'm interested if you don't mind adding someone who hasn't played for you before. Most of my games are moving along pretty slowly, so I'm fairly confident I can handle one or two more.

I've been thinking about making up a 'gentle giant' type of character - a heavy weapons fighter or barbarian with an acolyte or artisan background, raised as an orphan by the church but without a true calling or aptitude for the clergy. Maybe with a tie-in to Nissa (if toasterferret has no objections), going along as a protector / unlikely-friend / someone-to-reach-things-on-the-top-shelf? :)

I'll try to get something worked up and posted later today or tonight (probably tonight since I don't have my phb with me and I want to look at some of the feats).
No objections here. Nissa always does have trouble with that top shelf, and a gentle giant type would fit her demeanor perfectly. The concept reminds me of that one picture in the PHB with the gnome and the human looking at the map, haha.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Axel, sure, I think we can wait til next week, welcome aboard!

Brother Dave, I'm always open to new players, sounds like a fun concept to me.

Kaodi, that was fast, shows the ease of character creation for 5e!

Mowgli, jkason, no probs - not to worry, I'm still sticking with PF in my other games and I can quite see where you're coming from!

Brother Dave

First Post
I deviated a bit from the heavy weapons idea - I see Ren as having a strong protective streak, a sort of self-imposed protector for his friend Nissa, so he spends a lot of his time training with heavy armor and shields.

I also kind of merged the Acolyte and Guild Artisan backgrounds to create a background as an artisan for the church.

I took the equipment from his background and class - I didn't see any need for more than that - but I can redo it based on average starting gold if you prefer.

I have my character mostly done, though the background is still only a rough draft. How do you want our character sheets?

612853-bigthumbnail.jpg
Ren of Istus
[sblock=background]Ren (he doesn't know his last name, so he just goes by Ren or Ren of Istus) was orphaned at a young age and lived on the streets for a while until the church took him in. He was tall and strong for his age, and showed a natural affinity for stonework and sculpture, so he was put to work maintaining the stonework in the temple and library in exchange for room and board and martial training (and of course daily lessons and devotions). His natural curiosity led him to an interest in the history of the buildings and the extensive stonework he was working on, which led to an interest in both sculpture and in general history - which ultimately led to Nissa.

Ren met and befriended Nissa while repairing a crumbling bit of wall in the library, and began finding excuses to visit with her in his free time. Before long he was spending all of his free time not already devoted to his sculpture following Nissa around, helping her fetch books and scrolls, and asking endless questions about her research. He didn't always understand everything she said, but he found it fascinating, and couldn't help but get caught up in her passion for restoring the library. Over time he developed a great fondness for her (not anything romantic, but more as the sister he never had) and took on the self-imposed role as her assistant and protector.

When Nissa announced her intention to seek out the Lichway, Ren immediately requested leave to accompany her.[/sblock]
[sblock=stats]Neutral Good Human Male Fighter 1 (Church Artisan background)
Age 19, 6'4", 230 lbs, blond hair, green eyes, tanned skin

STR 16 [14+1+1], DEX 10, CON 16 [15+1], INT 12, WIS 13, CHA 8

Passive Wisdom (Perception) 13; Initiative +0

HP 13
AC 18 (Chain Mail + Shield)

Melee: Warhammer +5, 1d8+3 bludgeoning, versatile (1d10)
Melee/Ranged: Handaxes (x2) +5, 1d6+3 slashing, light, thrown 20/60

Personality Traits: I'm a bit shy and have little practical experience dealing with people outside of the temple, but I'm fiercely protective of my friends. I also believe that anything worth doing is worth doing right. I can't help it - I'm a perfectionist.
Ideals: My talents were given to me so that I could use them to benefit the world.
Bonds: Nissa is my best friend. I will do anything to help and protect her and the church that took me in.
Flaws: Once I start a project, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.

Human (variant)
  • +1 STR, +1 CON
  • Languages: Common, Giant
  • Skill: Perception
  • Feat: Heavy Armor Master (+1 STR, -3 dmg from non-magical B/P/S weapons)

Church Artisan
  • Skills: Insight, Religion
  • Tools: Mason's Tools
  • Language: Gnomish
  • Equipment: Traveller's Clothes, Holy symbol of Istus (amulet), Mason's tools, Belt pouch with 15 gp
  • Feature: Shelter of the Faithful (as Acolyte)

Fighter 1
  • Hit Dice: 1d10
  • Saves: STR, CON
  • Skills: History, Athletics
  • Equipment: Chain Mail, Shield, Warhammer, 2 Handaxes, Dungeoneer's Pack
  • Feature: Second Wind (1/rest, bonus action to regain 1d10 + lvl hp)
  • Feature: Protection Style (reaction to impose disadvantage on attacks vs allies within 5' when using shield)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I was also thinking of my character being an orphan, to tie-him in with your character and Nissa's church. I think this could work nicely, and our characters could have known one another for a while, perhaps having been brought up together and being friends. I'll also take your lead and merge the accolyte and criminal (spy) backgrounds for flavour.

Ethian never knew his father, and his elven mother died when his sorcerous powers started manifesting as a toddler. He later learned that he was responsible for her death, shock-grasping her during a toddler's tantrum. His elven family forsook him, and left him to be raised by the priests of knowledge, hoping that they could better help him learn to control his powers. He has not yet gotten over the guilt of his mother's death and has never had the courage to meet his elven kin.

He grew up in the orphanage, but was somewhat aloof during the priest's teachings, preferring to learn how to harness his own powers and sharpen his skills. He has put his knack for influencing others at the disposal of the church, by learning how to gather information and bringing it back to the priesthood. He is friends with Ren and Nissa, with whom he grew up with, and considers them as family.

[SBLOCK=My character]
Ethian.jpg
Name: Ethian of Istus
Sex: Male
Race: Half Elf
Class/Level: Sorcerer/1
Alignment: Neutral Good
Size: Medium
Type (Subtype): Humanoid (Human, Elf)
Init: +3
Senses: Darkvision (60 ft.)
Passive Perception: 13

DEFENSE
AC: 16 (+3 draconic resilience, +3 dex)
HP: 9 (1d6 +2 con, +1 draconic resilience)
Saves: Constitution & Charisma
Special Defenses: Fey Ancestry: advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

OFFENSE
Speed: 30ft
Melee: Dagger +5 Attack, 1d4+3 Piercing
Special Attacks: Spells (level):known/slots - (0):4, (1):2/2

(0) minor illusion SM (A bit of fleece) up to 1 min duration, 30 ft range
(0) prestigitation VS, up to 1h duration, 10 ft range
(0) fire bolt VS 120 ft range 1d10 fire damage
(0) shocking grasp VS touch 1d8 electricity, advantage if metal armor, no reactions till start of next turn

(1)shield VS 1 reaction when hit, 1 round duration, +5 to AC
(1)sleep VSM (a pinch of fine sand, rose petals or a cricket), 90 ft range, 1 min duration 5d8 hp of creatures within 20ft radius

STATISTICS
Str 8 (-1), Dex 16 (+3) , Con 14 (+2), Int 10 (+0), Wis 14 (+1), Cha 16 (+3)
Base array 15-14-13-12-10-8 +2 half elf to charisma, +1 half elf to constitution and dexterity

SKILLS Proficiencies in bold: 2 half elf, 2 Sorcerer, 2 background
Mod Attribute Name of Skill
+3 (dex) Acrobatics
+1 (wis) Animal Handling
+0 (int) Arcana
-1 (str) Athletics
+5 (cha) Deception
+0 (int) History
+3 (wis) Insight
+5 (cha) Intimidation
+0 (int) Investigation
+1 (wis) Medicine
+0 (int) Nature
+3 (wis) Perception
+3 (cha) Performance
+5 (cha) Persuasion
+0 (int) Religion
+3 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+5 (dex) Stealth
+1 (wis) Survival

RACE FEATURES
Darkvision: Can see in dim light within 60' as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it was dim light
Fey Ancestry: Advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep
Skill Versatility: proficient in two skills of your choice
Languages: Common, Elven, Goblin (half-elf), Draconic (sorcerer), Orc (background)

BACKGROUND FEATURES Church Spy
Feature: Shelter of the Faithful as acolyte
Skill Proficiencies: Deception, Stealth
Tool Proficiencies: thieves’ tools
Language: 1 extra language

Traits: I would rather make a new friend than a new enemy
Ideal: I’m loyal to my friends and to the priests that took me in, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care.
Bond: Someone I loved died because of a mistake I made. That will never happen again. Also, I owe my life to the priest who took me in when my
mother died
Flaw: I put too much trust in those who wield power within my temple’s hierarchy

CLASS FEATURES
- Spellcasting: Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your spells. The saving throw DC to resist a spell you cast is 13. Your attack bonus when you make an attack with a spell is +5.
- Draconic Ancestry: You can speak, read, and write Draconic. Whenever you make a Charisma check when interacting with dragons, your proficiency bonus is doubled if it applies to the check.
- Draconic Resilience: +1 HP per sorcerer level

Proficiencies Daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows

Gear:
Arcane focus (Wand)
Holy symbol (amulet, kept hidden)
A dungeoneer’s pack
One dagger

A crow bar, a set o f dark common clothes including a hood, and a belt pouch containing 15 gp

Also, as backup:
A bit of fleece (minor illusion), a pinch of sand, kept in belt pouch

Money: 15 gp

Physical Appearance:
Ethian is a thin half elf, 5 foot 8 inches tall, and weighs 150 poinds. He has pale skin, gold eyes and dark brown hair.

Backstory:
Ethian never knew his father, and his elven mother died when his sorcerous powers started manifesting as a toddler. He later learned that he was responsible for her death, shock-grasping her during a toddler's tantrum. His elven family forsook him, and left him to be raised by the priests of knowledge, hoping that they could better help him learn to control his powers. He has not yet gotten over the guilt of his mother's death and has never had the courage to meet his elven kin.

He grew up in the orphanage, but was somewhat aloof during the priest's teachings, preferring to learn how to harness his own powers and sharpen his skills. He has put his knack for influencing others at the disposal of the church, by learning how to gather information and bringing it back to the priesthood. He is friends with Ren and Nissa, with whom he grew up with, and considers them as family.

On a recent mission, he retrieved a tome of ancient history describing long lost rituals and ancient entities. He couldn't resist consulting the manual before bringing it to the priesthood, and his mind has been racing ever since. He's been having strange dreams too... (setting things up for warlock)

[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

toasterferret

Explorer
I'll follow form and post Nissa in spoiler block form, with an updated backstory.

[SBLOCK=Nissa]
Name: NIssa "Flyleaf" Nackle
Sex: Female
Race: Rock Gnome
Class/Level: Cleric 1
Alignment: True Neutral
Size: Small
Type (Subtype): Humanoid (Gnome)
Init: +1
Senses: Darkvision (60 ft.)
Passive Perception: 14

DEFENSE
AC: 17 (14 Scale Mail, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
HP: 10 (1d8 +2 Con)
Saves: Wisdom & Charisma
Special Defenses: Gnome Cunning. You have advantage on all Int, Wis, and Cha saving throws against magic.

OFFENSE
Speed: 25ft
Melee: Handaxe +1 Attack, 1d6-1 Slashing; Dagger +3 Attack, 1d4+1 Piercing
Ranged: Light Crossbow +3 Attack 1d8+1

STATISTICS
Str 8 (-1), Dex 12 (+1) , Con 14 (+2), Int 17 (+3), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 8 (-1)

SKILLS Proficies in bold, expertise in italics: 2 Cleric, 2 Knowledge Domain (E), 2 Background
Mod Attribute Name of Skill
+1 (dex) Acrobatics
+2 (wis) Animal Handling
+7 (int) Arcana
-1 (str) Athletics
-1 (cha) Deception
+5 (int) History (+7 if checks concern items)
+4 (wis) Insight
-1 (cha) Intimidation
+5 (int) Investigation
+2 (wis) Medicine
+3 (int) Nature
+4 (wis) Perception
-1 (cha) Performance
-1 (cha) Persuasion
+7 (int) Religion
+1 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+1 (dex) Stealth *Disadvantage*
+2 (wis) Survival

RACE FEATURES
Darkvision: Can see in dim light within 60' as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it was dim light
Gnome Cunning: You have advantage on all Int, Wis, and Cha saving throws against magic.
Artificer’s Lore: Whenever you make an Int (History) check related to magic items, alchemical objects, or technological devices, you can add twice your proficiency bonus, instead of any proficiency bonus you
normally apply.
Languages: Common, Gnome, Celestial, Draconic, Abyssal, Infernal

BACKGROUND FEATURES Sage
Feature: Researcher
Skill Proficiencies: Investigation, History

Traits: Soft-spoken and shy, although if you get her talking about a subject she is passionate about,
she will talk your ear off.
Ideal: The pursuit of knowledge is not only a path to self improvement, but our duty to both our ancestors and our descendants.
Bond: I work to preserve the library of Stormhaven where I studied, and hope to contribute my own works one day and restore it to its former glory!
Flaw: I am easily distracted by the promise of information. It can be quite a challenge to tear me away from my work

CLASS FEATURES
- Spellcasting: Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your spells. The saving throw DC to resist a spell you cast is 12. Your attack bonus when you make an attack with a spell is +4.
Proficiencies Light armor, medium armor, shields, simple weapons
Divine Domain (Knowledge) Blessing of knowledge: add two languages known, select two skills (Arcana, Religion), you double your proficiency bonus for those skills

Physical Appearance:
Nissa is a fairly tall (by gnome standards) gnomish woman. She is dark of hair, with hazel eyes and a bright smile. Her complexion is more tan that one would expect from someone who spends at much time pouring over old tomes as she does, a fact which she attributes to the numerous skylights that provide the illumination of Stormhaven during the daylight hours.

Backstory:
Nissa came to Stormhaven to study a a young age. No tragedy or twist of fate landed her on the doorstep of the library, just an unending well of curiosity about anything and everything. Poor of coin and devoid of any marketable craft skills, Nissa elected to join the priesthood of the temple that oversaw the library. She spent many years pouring over old tomes on the arcane, history, religions, and anything else she could get her hands on. It was during this time that she befriended several of the orphans that the temple had taken in. They all had very different stories,but together they made a strange sort of family.

Nissa was eventually appointed curator of the great collection, and it was at this time that she realized just how much the library and temple were in decline. Stormhaven had been built to shelter the followers of Istus from a foretold tragedy that had never come to pass, and academic interests were a luxury that few could afford in a violent war-torn world.

Fearing the decline and stagnation of her home, Nissa hatched a plan. With the help of her good friends Ren and Ethian, she was going to set out and uncover the secrets of the fabled Lichway. If the legends are true, the old Sandlander burial ground should house more than enough treasure and forgotten knowledge to both fill the Temple coffers and provide ample subject material for her first original work.

[/SBLOCK]

Brother Dave

First Post
Heh...so I guess Kaodi's rogue could be the shady looking scoundrel we all meet down at the docks...you know, the one who offers to 'guide' the poor naïve temple-ites to the Lichway...for a 'small fee', of course... ;)

I'll update my background to include Ethian when I get a chance.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases