Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook

Jhaelen

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook

If you've seen FFG's Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, you already know what to expect: A great storytelling RPG system with somewhat funky dice and gorgeous artwork. I've actually taken the extra-effort to painstakingly compare this book page for page with the EotE Core Rulebook and found that about 40% of the content is duplicated. The duplication is not as bad, as it initially seemed, because many passages have been rewritten for more clarity and to better fit the changed focus of the setting: While in EotE you're playing a bunch of shadier characters trying to make a living on the fringes of the galaxy, in Age of Rebellion, you joined the rebel forces to oppose the mighty Empire. While I'm not that much interested in playing a typical rebel character, the careers and specializations this book offers are just as varied and interesting as in EotE. My two favorites are the 'Saboteur', a quite unique take on a more combat-oriented sneaky, and 'techy' character, and the new Universal 'Recruit' specialization. The latter offers an awesome package of combat-relevant skills and talents to every career that is lacking in that area, making it the go-to secondary profession for almost every character. So, even if you aren't excited about the idea of playing a rebel, this book has much to offer for your EotE campaign.

HexMaker

First Post
2 out of 5 rating for Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook

Caveat: I encountered Age of Rebellion as a player, not as a GM.

I found the special dice hard to read - some of the symbols were too similar and having multiple symbols on some sides made it more complicated to remove the ones which had been cancelled out. I've played this system a few times now, and I still find it awkward and annoying.

The scenario in the book is not well written. There was a door in an Imperial base which "swung open" (does any door in the SW universe, let alone in an Imperial installation, 'swing' open?) Assaulting an Imperial base should be the climax of a campaign, with great risk, not a casual stroll in an introductory adventure. Where is the GM supposed to go next to keep raising the stakes? Just a bad choice for an intro.

SPOILER: there's a chase involving speeder bikes and scout walkers, where the drawn out tension hinges on the speeder bikes being able to catch up with the walkers. For no reason other than artificial tension, the bikes only went 50% faster than the walkers. I was left wondering whether the writer had actually seen the SW movies before coming up with this.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases