Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition Core Set

Emirikol

Adventurer
4 out of 5 rating for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition Core Set

I enjoyed 3rd edition as much as 2nd edition. The artwork was superb. I wish they had playtested it longer. You can see why they made their Star Wars game from this interesting system.

Taarkoon

First Post
2 out of 5 rating for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition Core Set

Expensive, core rules spread over many supplements and too D&D like.
The recharge mechanics for the character's actions give the feeling you are playing a computer game more than a RPG.

Last edited:

Apollwn

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition Core Set

An rpg in my favourite setting, with great mechanics and amazing custom dice that make every roll exciting.

k7e9

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition Core Set

My gaming group and I have enjoyed WFRP3ed for years, and probably will for years to come.The dice are what sets this game apart from other RPGs, and the system works great overall.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

FFG makes very beautiful stuff, with exceedingly high production values. Unfortunately, that works against them sometimes. I struggled to get to grips with this game with its multitudes of cards and tokens and counters and odd dice; it felt very over-engineered and more an exercise in space management and organization than a fun game. It's a shame, because it is very, very pretty, but I found it to be a largely confusing enterprise.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane

A bold attempt to recast the WFRP experience as a storytelling focused game. The trappings of cards and special dice makes the game difficult to approach for a player entrenched in conventional rpgs (sheet and standard dice). The WFRP atmosphere is present and given good attention, but for players of the earlier versions, the rules might prove to be just too much of a challenge to understand without unlearning the previous paradigm. Still, after prolonged play the rules start to make sense and sometimes even shine when it comes to creating fun and diverse experiences.

I understand, from a marketing point of view what FFG were trying to do with this. WFRP2nd edition had run it’s course with Black Industries, and although popular and successful FFG deemed that it really didn’t have much more direction to expand upon as it stood. So they experimented the game design and packaging - based upon their own experiences with other boxed tabletop games. We can see the results of this experimentation, in as much as the dice mechanic being retained for their Star Wars RPGs, but the reality was that WFRP was essentially sacrificed in the system development process as a lesser license. The game has a great visual appeal, but real issues at the game table where the various fiddly bits from the box just don’t quite hit the mark as play aides. It was notably repackaged into conventional hardback books, without the fiddly bits, sometime after before FFG eventually finished the line.

Last edited:

GullyFoyle

First Post

A very enjoyable game system. Ran an ongoing campaign for a year and a half that the players thoroughly enjoyed. The biggest hurdle is the preconceptions players bring to the game about how an RPG needs to be formatted.

Wolvercote

First Post

I put in countless hours of prep time for this system. Created player aids and notes and read the rules ad infinitum and after 2 years, I never got to play the darn thing due to lack of interest in my local area. An interesting concept but too far off the path for the general audience and too fiddly.

Remove ads