Fellowship of the Flute (Complete)

Crothian

First Post
This is the story of five friends and their quest to retrieve a musical instrument. The game was played at the First Ohio Gameday. The module is the Whispering Woodwind by Creative Mountain Games.

Cast of character:

Mardnab Beren (Played by Quickbeam): Mardnab is from a small gnomish village west of Nibbleheim. They are looked down on by most of the other gnomes for their ways, but her tribe has always risen to the challenge to be self-sufficient and not need anyone else. Marnab is considered one of the most stubborn of her generation. She left the village to prove to the world the worth of her people.

Feng (Played by dshai527): Feng was raised in the town of Thesden listening to stories of the great Orcish invasion hundreds of years ago lead by Rak the Black. Feng felt the need to defend his orcish heritage by learning the age-old tales of the orcs and specifically Rak the Black. He has been rather successful as many people seem interested in the stories, as much time has passed since the invasion. Many people don’t recognize Feng as a Half Orc since Orcs are very, very rare after the invasion of their land shortly after Rak invaded the kingdom

Dell Thorne (Played by Clear Dragon): Dell’s Family is very influential in Thesden and in many towns and cities. The Thorne’s have been making quality furniture and wooden goods for centuries. Dell is a follower of Voltar, the god of Fire, Magic, and Crafts. He has decided to leave the village to try to define himself and not be defined by his family and their longstanding traditions

Seriphina Tealeaf (Played by Aurora): Seriphina was raised in Marsis’ Grove away from the Halfling people. She has always been a loner, being one of a very few halfling on the continent. She meet her snake on a trip to the south and has had it for over a year a now. The people of the grove encourage their students to take time to wonder the lands to become more familiar with its people and places, and that’s what she is doing.

Aust Siannodel (Played by Alex): Aust’s people are mostly sailors, as his family has been on the water for hundreds of years. However Aust always preferred dry ground, he’s uncomfortable on the water. He found he has a knack for riding and fighting from horseback, a trait very rare in his people. So, he went to the human kingdom and trained under them. However, he lost his horse and much of his money in the barracks playing cards. So, now he’s looking for opportunities to get some money and another steed.

The Fellowship of the Flute

The story begins as our group enters the town of Jalston after a nice, long journey. They are dirty and tired from their trip. Their change purses are a little on the light side and they enter the town in silence. They smell the sea air of the port town and then another smell separates; the smell of smoke. They approach the far side of town and see a boat that is on land up in flames. There is a line of people severing as bucket brigade but they have far too few buckets to do any good. There are a few adventurous souls running into and out of the burning wreck. Those that exit are carrying bottles and supplies. They take them to an older man who is yelling at people and demanding things be done about his inn.

“Why did you bring out the beer? I told you the scotch is much more valuable. I can’t believe how stupid you are!!” he bellows at a young man who just came out of the fire. The young man coughs a bit, and puts his cloak out as he’s being scolded. “Here’s a few coppers, but don’t expect any more. Can’t follow simple orders; I’m going to lose it all!!”

Aust’s elven ears perk up. “I think we should help this man retrieve his stuff, there is money to be gained here.” He walks up to the man say “My Good man, if I could…”

“What do you want? Can’t you see I’m a little busy here with my Inn burning?” He interrupts.

“Well, then perhaps I could inquire about how to help you.” Aust replies without missing a beat.

“Well, go into the building a retrieve some things of value before they get destroyed. I can’t believe I have to spell this out to people.” The man says.

“Well, I will be needing this tarp,” Aust says as he grabs the tarp and goes over to burning building.

“Hey you can’t take that!!” yells the man as Aust walks away but Aust ignores him. He then takes some of the water that is to be used to throw on the fire and tosses it on the tarp. He then wraps the tarp around him and runs up the gangplank and down into the fire.

Mardnab follows him up grumbling things under her breath. Feng follows as well but it’s clear he doesn’t actually want to go inside the burning building. Aust makes a dash inside as the smoke really starts to billow up. Mardnab follows and Dell reluctantly goes on the ship and into the fire as well. Aurora watches from the safety of the street.

Inside the building is on fire. It’s obvious that this place is a lost cause. Aust jumps over some of the fire to get to the bar. Dell watches from just inside as the smoke is starting to get to him. Mardnab has a smile on her face as she too crosses the fire to the bar. Aust looks around the bar, but the smoke is just to thick so he grabs some bottles. Mardnab and Dell then run out. Aust thinks about leaving then goes back and looks around the bar some more. He thinks he spots something better and grabs it and then runs out of the bar choking on the smoke.

They gather at the bottom on the gang plank and cough up all the smoke and get their breath back. The tarp Aust has is smoldering in a few places, ruined. As Aust puts it out he looks at Mardnab and says “Your boots are on fire.” She flashes him a look and does nothing about them. “Your boots are burning,” Aust repeats and she continues to pretend to not hear him.

Feng looks over, “Maybe Gnomes are fireproof?”

They walk over to the man. Aust is beaming as he carries the bottles over to him. Mardnab pauses for a little while to put out her boots while no one is looking. The man looks up with a frown and before Aust has a chance to speak says “This is all you could get?”

Aust stares at him blankly. “Good sir, we risked out lives getting these fine bottle for you.”

“Fine bottles? You can’t be serious!! This is the stuff I serve to the likes of them,” as he motions over to the bucket brigade. He reaches in his purse and pulls out a couple of silver pieces and places them on the table.

“No sir, I realize that you have lost a lot today but I really think these are bottles are worth a little more then this amount of coin.” Aust says trying to still be polite.

“Sure, why not rob a man on the day he lost everything!!” he says but does add some gold to the silver coins.

“If we may get your name sir… And what happened here?” Aust asks.

“My name is Tardak and what happened was a stupid bard. He burnt down my inn and now I’ve lost it all. He wanted to fix something special in the kitchen. I knew it was a bad idea, but he begged in that dratted annoying way and I knew he would not cease. So, I reluctantly agreed and not even three minutes pass before smokes comes out of the kitchen. He runs out, straight out the kitchen and out of the inn. I look in and the kitchen is covered in flames. I got everyone cleared out, thank Voltar, but I lost everything. Now I’ve got to get him back here and see if there’s any compensation he can come up with.”

Aust’s eyes grow wide at that. “So, sir, would it be possible that you need a group such as us to retrieve the bard?”

“Hmm, maybe you can do that. But frankly the only think of Contel’s, the bard, I can think of worth anything was that stupid flute of his. So, just bring the flute back and that will be enough. I’ll reward you of course. And I could care less what happens to Contel. He went south probably to the small town of Parvue”

“Excellent, well, we accept and we’ll be on are way this very night,” Aust replies at the sun slowly sets and storms clouds gather to the west.

The group then heads to a local general store to stock up on some items. Aust tries to get the merchant to gamble with him but the merchant refuses. Mardnab demans Seriphina to use any weapon besides her sling, which Mardnab feels are completely useless. So Mardnab buys Seriphina a scimitar. They get some rope, lanterns, and some other minor items and go on their way.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Sniktch said:
Hey, keep it up, Crothian. I can tell you guys had a good time playing this one :)

We sure did. I'm going to space out the updates to one a day I think. It's not that big of a story and I want to get the most out of it.

Crothian

First Post
Part 2

They head south along the road. It isn’t long till Aust seems a little bored. He turns to Dell and get a wicked little smile on his face. He fishes inside his produces a few items.

“Hey, Dell,” Aust says, “It’s the shell game, just tell me where the little marble is and win some gold."

Without missing a beat or even looking at the interchanging shells Dell says, "It’s in your belt pouch."

Aust has a little frown cross his face but it quickly turns to a smile as he replies, “Ummm....best 2 outta 3?"

Dell scows at Aust and Aust puts away the items. The journey south starts okay but then the storm breaks. It gets really dark fast and aside from their lanterns they have zero light. They hear some dogs barking off the road somewhere but they trek on. They then come to a small light coming from a guard shack near the road at the point the wilderness really starts up. Feng decides to go talk to the guard. He goes up and knocks on the door. He here’s movement coming from inside.

“What’s ya want!!” he here’s a voice from inside.

“Sir, I was wondering if you had seen anything this night?” Feng answers.

“Seen?? Seen anything you got to be kidding. Its night and the storms going off. What’s there to see??” The guard opens the door and there’s a man standing there with his hair a wreck and sleep marks on his face.

“I’m sorry if I awoke you.” Feng replies.

“Woke?? What makes you think I was sleeping? I’m a guard; I’m awake and ready for anything.” He replies venomously.

“Of course you are. We’ll be on our way.” Feng turns to the others and they start to leave. The door slams shut as the guard goes back inside.

They continue on their way down the muddy road. The storm lets up a little to a miserable drizzle after a few hours. They are all soaked to the bone, cold, and tired. A flash of lightning brightens up the whole area for a split second and they can briefly see a few forms on the road ahead. They really have no idea what they say, just that something is ahead. Mardnab goes into the woods and goes forward there while Dell and Aust approach on the road. They move forward to where they think they saw the forms. Then another flash of lightning goes off and they can see that there are two bears on the road, and they are too close for comfort. The larger of the two puts her head up and begins sniffing. She then lets out a roar and turns to face them. The bear gets up on her hind legs, towering over the elf and half elf. However before anyone can do anything Seriphina comes forward and quickly soothes the bear.

“Everyone slowly back up” she commands and they all do.

“Well, we should be able to simple go around them,” Aust suggests.

“What about the horse?” asks Mardnab as she joins the group.

“What horse?” everyone asks.

“The horse the bears are dining on. It has a saddle, bit and bridle, and saddle bags. It might be Contel’s.” she answers.

“Did you see a body there? Maybe Contel’s dead.” Dell asks.

“No,” Mardnab answers shaking her head. “All I saw was the dead horse.

“Maybe the flute’s in the saddlebags.” Feng suggests.

“And how do we get the saddlebags away from the bear?” Aust asks.

Mardnab takes some food and places it as near the bears as she dares. She retreats back and they wait a few minutes hoping the bears go to it but they do not. Next see uses her magic to create sounds of prey off in the woods behind it, and when that doesn’t work she conjures three glowing, flying balls and tries to scare away the bears. That just seems to piss them off though. Then, she gets down low and crawls on her belly really close to the bears. She then magically drags the saddle bags to her, picks them up, and goes back to the party. They look inside and find clothes of bright colors but no flute.

They circle around the bears and continue their journey to the south. The rain lets up to a sprinkle with in a few more hours. They spot as bunch of large fires well of the road. Aust and Mardnab go to investigate. They see a dozen wagons with large tarps over them and nine bonfires going. There are a few men sitting around the bonfires. One sees them approaching and calls out to them.

“Terrible night to be out and about. Come on over and dry yourselfs on the fire. Give me a few minutes and I can gather some left overs from dinner and heat them up so yous can also have a warm meal.” He throws a few more logs on the fire and it quickly gets a raging bonfire going. The other three make there way on over and they are all welcomed and get some good hot food in them. As they warm themselves by the fire Mardnab walks over to Seriphina nd takes her sling. Then Mardnab starts chewing on it till it’s ruined. With a triumphant smile Mardnab hands the sling make to Seriphina. Then man breaks out some ale and Mardnab speaks up.

“Good sir, we thank you for your hospitality. Would you care for a small drinking contest?” Without waiting for an answer she drinks hers down really fast, her eyes roll in the back of her head and she collapses.

The others laugh. “Not good at holding her liquor is she?” They place her beneath a wagon out of the rain. And soon the rest get some sleep as well. But before they do they heat up a bowl of warm water to place Mardnab’s hand in while she sleeps.

They all awake with the sun as the camp is very active. Mardnab’s pants seem to be all wet with her own urine.

“So that’s how gnome’s are fireproof, they pee and put the flames out’” Feng says chuckling as he sees Mardnab.

There seems to be about fifty or so people here including many women and children. Seriphina magically fixes her sling as breakfast is being made. Feng then starts up on an old classic song. Within minutes the whole camp is singing along and dancing with Feng leading it all on his lute. This goes on for about an hour before Feng brings it to a climatic halt and everyone claps and thanks him for that. The group gathers up their few belongings and heads back to the road to continue on their journey.

Last edited:

Sniktch

First Post
Re: Part 2

Crothian said:
But before they do they heat up a bowl of water to place Mardnab’s hand in while she sleeps.

lol.gif
laughpf.gif
xxrotflmao.gif

Remove ads