D&D 5E What is the logic behind one 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level spell?

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I'd change this slightly to "If you enjoyed games with a wider range of power, this edition (so far) will disappoint you."

Given that power level is relative to some degree, high level play in 5E will feel somewhat similar to other editions, it is just that it isn't as "cut off" from lower levels as in prior editions, especially 3E. 5E is not Dust Mites & Demigods, like prior editions.

This is also why 5E may be the ideal edition for sandboxing. Sure, low level characters will be over-matched by more challenging monsters, but the boundaries are softened and more interaction and combat is possible across tiers without instant kills.

I think for me, the ideal D&D lies somewhere in between 3.5 and 5E (and I don't mean 4E ;) ).

I think 5E goes too far in blunting the power curve, but does an excellent job with keeping low-level monsters relevant. (As one would expect since the game now really covers a shorter power curve.)

I think the lack of higher level spell slots is disappointing because so many spells scale with a higher level casting. I would like to see a hybrid system where both caster level *and* spell level matter instead of just spell level. (Which is like 3.5 with its metamagic feats, but I'd like to tap into the more elegant way 5E does it rather than have the multiple feat requirement.)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Now also let this next fact sink in. At level 13 you can cast Forcecage. You can defeat a whole squad of CR 13 warrior types with a single spell. If you could cast forcecage more than once per day, why would you even need a party?
I just had a PC forcecage an archmage, which also shut down teleportation. AWKWARD. Try explaining that to your apprentices back at your tower...

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Thinking about it more, though, you could use the alternate rest options in the DMG that allow for shorter rest periods between recharges. This would mean that while they only have 1 slot/level for 6, 7, 8, and 9 at a given time, they could recharge those during the day and thus double (or more) the amount of spells available.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
In addition to the how it works for power levels in characters and sandboxing of the world, reducing the number of high-level slots also makes high-level magic feel more potent within the world, in that a high-level caster can contain/channel less of it (ironically making a "less" Vancian system feel more actually Vancian).

Plus, if you don't put limits on a spellcaster's power, how do you expect them to go to unconscionable lengths to bypass them? ;)

pepticburrito

First Post
You'd think so, right? Except the default archmage in the MM doesn't have it prepared. That'll teach me.

I understand why they didn't put it on his spell list. You probabally don't want new GMs zapping thier players into ash. It normally doesn't go over well at the table.

In terms of game world, an Archmage would have that spell prepared or known.

Remove ads