Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
4 out of 5 rating for Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path

Paizo has stated that they wanted their first adventure path to be "classic" - evil wizard showdown kind of thing. They did that in spades, and the result is a fun (if dangerous depending on PCs) and engaging series of scenarios with strong enough hooks to get them to feel tied together without forcing it down your throat. Some great scenes, memorable NPCs, the evil wizard showdown at the end is very fun (if sloggy, as high-level Pathfinder/D&D 3.5 is wont to be). I've run it with Pathfinder, and the first two adventures I converted to Hackmaster 5th Edition to great result. I think I'm going to run it in D&D 5E as that flows smoother than Pathfinder for my games.

Fastjack

First Post
2 out of 5 rating for Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path

After hearing great things about this AP I was excited to get the chance to GM it for my group. We felt like the adventure setting shifted between unrealized to poorly realized and that many of the encounters and NPCs felt bland, boring, and sometimes a bit 'gamey'.

Kinak

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path

We recently finished a two year Rise of the Runelords game (and the players insisted on jumping straight into Shattered Star). That's a lot of fun and adventure for $35.

Dragovon

First Post

Lots of fun stuff here. Pretty well balanced (though enchanters can make certain things much easier).

Starfox

Adventurer
3 out of 5 rating for Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path

Rise of the runelords (the original 6 books) is a series of horror adventures. It begins with xenophobia horror, goes on to a haunted house, slasher horror, splatter horror, mystery castle, occupation by aliens, and finally Cthulhu horror. Its all pretty good, but some parts feel underdeveloped or too hastily assembled.

nyteshade_xt

Explorer

This is a great example of classic style fantasy. It has everything you could want. Depending on if you have the original or the anniversary editions your experiences will be a bit different. Anniversary is better IMO.

Ezequielramone

Explorer

two years and my players are about to fight the final boss. we had have a great time playing this.

mxyzplk

Explorer

The previous Dungeon APs were good, but Rise of the Runelords - with its take on goblins, its introduction of horror and haunts, its demented ogre hillbilly action from Nic Logue - is one of the best APs. It's certainly the most supported, with a hardback, tokens, minis, audio drama, etc.

Remove ads