Immortal's Handbook continuation thread

Immortals Handbook FAQ

Hi all! :)

Here is the initial responses; expect answers to questions #1 and #9 to be greatly expanded over the next day or so.

If you have any further questions or want certain points clarified feel free to post in this thread.

Immortals Handbook

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the Immortals Handbook?
A: The Immortals Handbook is a body of work that expands; explains and outlines all aspects of using deities within a campaign.

2. Is this a d20 product?
A: Yes. As well as presenting a plethora of new material it seeks to marry ideas from Deities & Demigods and the Epic Level Handbook.

3. Is this a standalone game?
A: No. It requires the Core Rulebooks and the Epic Level Handbook. Deities & Demigods is compatible but not necessary.

4. Who is publishing it?
A: The publisher will be announced after Deities & Demigods and the Epic Level Handbook are entered into the System Reference Document.

5. Will this be an electronic product, a print product or both?
A: Initially the book will be released as four electronic products (Apotheosis; Grimoire; Bestiary and Chronicle); which will then be conjoined as a print product.

6. Where should we expect to see it?
A: The pdf will be available from websites such as www.rpgnow.com

7. When should it be finished?
A: The first pdf should be available shortly after the SRD is updated.

8. Why has it taken so long?
A: Aside from multiple expansions and numerous revisions throughout its inception it was decided last year that the work, which was already compatible with the core rulebooks would benefit a greater audience if it was fully compatible with Deities & Demigods and the Epic Level Handbook. As such we have been forced to wait until this material entered the SRD, though during this time the work has been further developed and refined.

9. I’ve played in immortal campaigns before (Amber RPG; D&D Immortals; Primal Order) - how is this different, or better?
A: The key difference between this work and previous material on the subject is that the focus is not solely on the gods themselves, but rather, the relationship between mortals and immortals.

10. I don’t really want to run an immortal campaign - why should the Immortals Handbook interest me?
A: Firstly, the bulk of the material could just as easily bless any Epic campaign. Non-epic campaigns will also find a wealth of ideas helping them develop their worlds religions from both divine and mundane perspectives.

11. I’ve heard you are making some changes to the core rules just what are they and why are you making them?
A: The only major change to the core rules are revisions to the Challenge Rating/Encounter Level Rules.
Some of the dynamics of divinity itself have been changed, and a number of divine abilities have been redressed from how Deities & Demigods presents them.

12. Are the changes optional or required?
A: The changes are optional, but strongly advocated.

13. What support can we expect in the future?
A: There is already a wealth of support material planned; some already underway in fact. However, at this juncture it wouldn’t be prudent to reveal its exact composition.

14. What are your main inspirations/sources?
A: Primarily religion; mythology and the occult. Though certainly comic books; fantasy literature; movies and roleplaying games have also proved inspirational.

15. Shouldn’t gods be beyond stats?
A: If the Gamesmaster so wishes. However many Gamesmasters prefer to use deities in a more physical (rather than ephemeral) capacity.

16. Is the system modular, if so, to what degree?
A: Practically the entire body of work is modular.

17. Will it be easy to incorporate into an existing campaign?
A: Yes, with minimal effort.

18. Do you have methods to convert existing gods from my campaign to fit your new and expanded rules?
A: Yes, however to avoid copyright issues I must be circumspect in how I outline such conversion.

19. I have heard about some weird stuff like Cosmic Abilities and Esoteric Divine Abilities, what are those and are they easy to add to existing gods?
A: Cosmic Abilities are the powers attributed to Sidereals (also know as Cosmic or Over-deities) who could be described as the gods of the gods.
The term Esoteric is applied as a prefix to abilities beyond the power of deities to manifest in and of their own power. Immortals who gain Cosmic Abilities do so through esoteric means.

20. How will the release of the Revised Core Rulebooks affect its contents?
A: No more so than they will affect the current rules. With the provision for updating the print version of the Immortals Handbook in light of any pertinent changes.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
Ars Magica, I believe.

Not that I can add something to that topic.

I think I'm drawing closer to favor dropping Epic Attack Bonusus...

Bjorn Doneerson

First Post
I'm not dead!

I really don't have much else to say except: Krust-o, I read that you don't know what stuff you'll be able to use and stuff (SRD stuff I think, I dunno, I never quite understood that). Any way, if I were you (which they tell me I'm not) I'd have something prepared for everything just in case (Justin, Who? I think I went to school with that guy). Better to have what you don't need than need what you don't had. Although you may be overworked, or who knows what...

Well, yeah, thats it.

Hey Knight Otu mate! :)

Knight Otu said:
Ars Magica, I believe.

Not that I can add something to that topic.

I think there is both good and bad in the "Vancian" D&D magic system but I would be happy with a change for 4th Edition.

Knight Otu said:
I think I'm drawing closer to favor dropping Epic Attack Bonusus...

You mean I hadn't already convinced you! :p

Actually in a day or so I will post the FAQ for the IH herein (I'll probably edit my opening salvo in the process so that its at the top of the page)

Hi Bjorn mate! :)

Bjorn Doneerson said:
I'm not dead!

I should certainly hope not!

Otherwise your ability to still post would be quite frightening. :p

Bjorn Doneerson said:
I really don't have much else to say except: Krust-o, I read that you don't know what stuff you'll be able to use and stuff (SRD stuff I think, I dunno, I never quite understood that).

I'm going on the assumption that everythings going in but I really only need SDAs; epic feats and epic spells.

Bjorn Doneerson said:
Any way, if I were you (which they tell me I'm not) I'd have something prepared for everything just in case (Justin, Who? I think I went to school with that guy). Better to have what you don't need than need what you don't had. Although you may be overworked, or who knows what...

Well, yeah, thats it.

Well if they don't include the epic spell system (unlikely) then my Magic chapter is going to need one hell of a rewrite. :D

If they don't include epic feats (very unlikely) some of my examples will need attending too.

If they don't include SDAs (and lets face it why add D&Dg without them!?) I will have to rewrite a number of abilities.

Other elements may warrant a mention but are certainly not fundamental.

Gez

First Post
'd morning, sirs.

Upper_Krust said:
I think there is both good and bad in the "Vancian" D&D magic system but I would be happy with a change for 4th Edition.

Me too. I would not like to see the "fire&forget" way of casting disappear totally. Although, arguably, classes like the Bard, the Sorcerer, the Harper Scout (FRCS prestige class) or the Sugenja (OA base class) are not anymore Vancian; and the Psion and Psychic Warrior are even less (not even spell slots).

But all these classes still works with a rigid magic system (spell list-based) rather than a dynamic one (with magical improvisation). I'd love to see a good adaptation of the Ars Magica magic system for D&D. This would start with a skill-based magic system, rather than a level-based one.

Gez said:
'd morning, sirs.

Bonjour mon ami! :)

Gez said:
Me too. I would not like to see the "fire&forget" way of casting disappear totally. Although, arguably, classes like the Bard, the Sorcerer, the Harper Scout (FRCS prestige class) or the Sugenja (OA base class) are not anymore Vancian; and the Psion and Psychic Warrior are even less (not even spell slots).

But all these classes still works with a rigid magic system (spell list-based) rather than a dynamic one (with magical improvisation). I'd love to see a good adaptation of the Ars Magica magic system for D&D. This would start with a skill-based magic system, rather than a level-based one.

The way I see it they have the perfect opportunity.

They can retain the Vancian system for the Wizard class but create something infinitely more flexible for the Sorceror class.

In fact when you think about it you could have variable system for all the classes (I know you have certain ideas on clerical magic yourself).

Personally, I would like to see perhaps a difference between Black and White magic more pronounced (Black Magic might be more powerful; but also more dangerous and taxing). I have read that the Book of Vile Darkness may have ideas along those lines but I still haven't seen that book.

kkoie

First Post
Upper_Krust said:

I have read that the Book of Vile Darkness may have ideas along those lines but I still haven't seen that book.

BoVD has spells where part of the casting requirements actually reduce an ability score. The most horrible of the lot being a spell called Apocalypse from the Sky (imagine a fireball spell that covers everything within a multiple mile radius) that reduces wisdom and con by... I forget... something like 4d6 each or worse. Anyway I'm sure you get the idea.

They also have spells where its required you be under the influence of a specific drug, or afflicted with a specific disease, to be albe to cast the spell.

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
Salut à vous, belle compagnie !

(This greeting © Pen of Chaos, in Naheulbeuk's Dungeon).

I believe the idea of spells reducing ability scores when cast comes from the Call of Chtulluh d20 book (written by, unsurprisingly, the same author, Monte Cook).

I've seen the BoVD in a hobbyshop, however at 46 ? it was a bit too much (I rather took the Tome of Horrors, at 32 ?). Although I have ordered it at another shop, who promised me to get it for less than 40 ?, but I know that'll take about 3 months before they do get it (last time I ordered something there, it was Seas of Blood, and that was about the time they needed to get it). It's quite sad it's so easier to get this kind of stuff via Kazaa & co. than through legal means.

Hmmm. To be more on-topic, have you had news from WotC about the progress of the SRD ?I know you had already exchanged mail with some WotC official in the past about that, are you kept informed ?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases