Age of Worms Adventure Path

Kelanen

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for Age of Worms Adventure Path

I ran this entire AP when it was initially released. The opening adventure, The Whispering Cairn is a classic adventure that ranks as one of the all time greats. The other adventures are mostly solid but there are some issues in continuity between them.

Dragovon

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Age of Worms Adventure Path

Challenging. Plenty of foreshadowing. Lots of different times and places. Great fun.

howandwhy99

Adventurer

I've begun it twice now. The first time as it was being published and again just recently stalling this summer after spending over a year and a half. The 12 adventures are typically adventure path in design, meaning linear by event or combat encounter or both, but each can be run openly. However they require a lot of work if you run them openly together than as 12 separate installments. This last go around I tried running the first 3 as a sandbox in the Cairn Hills, the next 3 as the Grey Hawk City region, 3 as missions as discovered, and the last 3 as a linear gauntlet to the final battle. ...But I've never gotten to the end. It takes too long.

The best parts of the adventure are the references to Greyhawk and other D&D lore. Dragotha is in there, so is the Rod of Seven Parts, the Isle of Woe sunk in the Nyr Dyv, and much, much more. Some adventure are neatly designed too. As mentioned by other reviewers, the first adventure has a good dungeon and interesting components. But all the adventures have their flaws too. In general it is hit or miss when it comes to design, but there are some truly inspirational style selections here. As well as top notch pieces, like NPcs, magic items, and perhaps most often, combats.

However combat is also one of the biggest drawbacks to the design as this was an era for Paizo when they heavily inflated the encounter CR to make the game challenging as many players were mastering CharOp in '05 & '06. Inflating the PCs a level or two is a good idea. A problem I had was the starting town is practically a double adventure in itself, about 25 pages as an extra support PDF, which vastly increases the amount of difficulty running the game. There is simply too much to remember and keep track of. This "overload" document needed to cover aspects of running all 12 adventure not just the first couple.

I don't really care for adventure paths, but I do like Greyhawk and interesting scenarios full of inspiration. You will find more than enough here. My best advice is to chop up the adventures as needed to run your game than following the design as is. I know the first time I started the PCs in the first half of module 3 (a poor one). If you follow the adventures as a plot the transitions need work, some are hard to notice in the reading while others are heavy handed. The plot itself zigzags back and forth continually pointing at potential new enemies, which is thrilling for an adventure path. It gives the illusion of solving what's going on. But it's a bit "your queen is in another castle" as a sandbox.

Last edited:

Jvirtue55

First Post

I was a player in this AP Every night we played you never knew if your character was going to make it out alive. We had a table full of optimized characters and still struggled with some of the encounters. This was a great way for me to finish up playing in WOTC owned settings. I will always remember my Age of Worms Campaign

Henrix

Explorer

This AP has an excellent start in the small town of Diamond Lake. A connection they ought to have done more with. The later scenarios are generally very good, but some are boring dungeon crawls.Brilliant Greyhawk stuff.

concerro

Explorer

This AP is awesome. I actually want to run it again, but it is difficult, so I can't run it without tuning it down at the moment.

Greyson

Explorer

The second adventure path after Paizo learned the ropes after Shackled City, Age of Worms has the most classic feel, flow and theme of any adventure path. Nominally set in Greyhawk, Age of Worms brings that venerable setting to life in a fun, action packed way, with lots of interesting and notable NPCs along the way.

Gundark

Explorer
3 out of 5 rating for Age of Worms Adventure Path

This AP is a meat grinder no doubt about it, the only time that my group ever had a party wipe (several...several PC deaths). The story starts out good, but never really gets great, in fact it's always surprised me that this AP was so popular at the time. I wouldn't recommend it today as there are several better adventure path offerings out there now, maybe if you only play 3.5 then give this one a try.

3 out of 5 rating for Age of Worms Adventure Path

This campaign was overall a great campaign. Alas it suffered a bit from 3.5-ism due to over focus on undead ( and the inability for some 3.5 classes to be effective against undead ). The plot and story were, overall, very good. Some chapters seem like wild tangents flavors of the month, however. A lot of fun was had a my table, and player recruitment was easy whenever a player needed replacement. The release of the campaign also coincided with some fair amount of bloat for the 3.5 edition at the time, which detracted a bit from the campaign in the case of some players.

Remove ads