Savage Tide Adventure Path

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
4 out of 5 rating for Savage Tide Adventure Path

The early chapters set on the Isle of Dread were a lot of fun. I would have enjoyed having more of the campaign set there.

Played Savage Tide about 7 years ago. Epic tale on the fabled Isle of Dread with a good story, great settings, a wide mix of monsters and settings, and features a sea-borne chapter, an epic trek through a dinosaur and demon-infested jungle, a visit to an aboleth city, and traipsing through the Abyss. And you get to fight Demogorgon. In case you missed that, YOU GET TO FIGHT. FREAKING. DEMOGORGON. I give it four stars because it's very combat-intensive, and doesn't allow for a ton of RP. One of the last few chapters seems to fall a bit flat (Wells of Darkness), but I would definitely recommend the AP.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer

The Savage Tide Adventure Path gets a ton of points for inspiration and innovation, but not quite as much for execution.This path boasts a ton of memorable NPC's, and a similar metric ton of references that will inspire the grognards among us. The main problem? The premise in the early going (the threat of the Shadow Pearls) is mentioned/showcased in the 2nd adventure, but then promptly discarded until a good couple of adventures later. (Granted, exploring the Isle of Dread is pretty awesome, but it feels a bit disconnected from the original premise of the path. [YMMV, of course.]

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous

Yes you get to fight Demogorgon in this AP. Pretty awesome. It starts out with a more role play heavy first part set in the city, then turns into island exploration and more. Lots of battles as well, of course. GM is required to make a few ties among the single adventures stronger, but also has the chance to add some additional encounters here and there. Only 4 stars for some disconnects in the story.

Dragovon

First Post

Lots of fun to be had here. Lots of travel. Big scary stuff to fight. Paladins probably shouldn't apply if you want to win!

Starfox

Hero
5 out of 5 rating for Savage Tide Adventure Path

I DM:ed this in a long 3.5 campaign over perhaps 5 years, using this for the core and adding about 50% filler. We had an absolutely wonderful time. That said, it has some pit traps. It consists of several parts; a town adventure, a seafaring adventure, a jungle exploration adventure, an infiltration of an evil city, and finally a long series of extra-planar adventures. This puts a very high demand on the flexibility of the characters. The initial town adventure is likely to shape the characters a lot, but it is only one episode (out of 12) and players that made characters expecting a city adventure might feel shanghaied. The same happens with each transition. You could reasonably play a new character for each part, since they are so different. Keeping this in mind and telling the players that the campaign is likely to change dramatically over time should alleviate this problem.

kevin_video

Explorer

This was my very first adventure path as a 3.5 player, and it still holds up as one of my favourite stories. I'd recommend this to anyone.

Waller

Legend

This isn't Paizo's best adventure path, but it's up there. Also one of their earliest, and they learned a few things since. Age of Worms edges it out, but this is darned good fun and a strong recommend!

Remove ads