D&D 5E Multiclass: Warlock / Bard - thoughts?

I currently have a Warlock. But out of fun/curiosity I looked at other Classes that has Charisma as their spellcasting ability, I picked Bard.

I have never played a Bard before, but...

1. what are your initial thoughts on this?

2. Also say I have a Warlock 11 / Bard 6 character. Bard level choose College of Valor

For College of Valor, at 3rd level this will make my Warlock gain proficiency in medium armor, shields and martial weapon right?

3. For Bard: Extra Attack (attack twice on an attack action)
For Warlock: Eldrich Blast (lvl 11 / 3 beams)

This will make an Eldrich Blast attack fire (3 beams x 2 attack=6) 6 beams per attack right?

As a background story - sure my warlock writes songs for his patron. ;)

Last edited:

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
1. I'm a big fan of multiclassing Warlock with another casting class. Because you can cast spells from that class using Warlock slots (which refresh every short rest). Very powerful with a class that has healing spells.

2. Yes you'd get those proficiencies.

3. No. Eldritch Blast requires the Cast a Spell action. So it doesn't interact with the Extra Attack class feature at all. See page 192.

1. I'm a big fan of multiclassing Warlock with another casting class. Because you can cast spells from that class using Warlock slots (which refresh every short rest). Very powerful with a class that has healing spells.

I agree, this is what I hope for on this build (if ever), someone who can drop enemies and when needed provide relevant support as well.

When you say you can cast spells from a class using warlock slots, do you mean the Bard school that lets you choose a number of spells from other classes? Or you mean casting Bard spells (or other spellcaster class) that uses the warlock spell slots (which refresh every short rest)? Is that allowed for multiclassing?

Have to read rules for MC...

3. No. Eldritch Blast requires the Cast a Spell action. So it doesn't interact with the Extra Attack class feature at all. See page 192.

I somehow kept my hopes up on a 6-8 eldrich blast per action lol. Checked the rules and you're right, thanks!

This build got me interested. Figuring out some other cool combo or advantages/disadvantages may bring to the table. I'm open to suggestions. :)

Last edited:

kerleth

Explorer
I'm currently dming, but I love the idea of a warlock/bard. It works right out of the gate at level 2. I may be overestimating this, but I think being able to cast healing word and have it recharge on each short rest is gonna come in real handy. At Warlock 2/Bard 1 you can have a 1d10+Cha eldritch blast for decent ranged damage. Vicious Mockery is instead a good ranged debuff. Also, since it is a saving throw you can use it against a melee enemy without any penalty. The Temporary Hp granted by fiend pact or Armor of Agathys combined with healing and/or vicious mockery from bard allows you to absorb some attacks yourself in a pinch. If you go 50/50 Fiendpact Warlock and Lore Bard you can learn spells of any class and have them recharge on a short rest. At 20th level (10/10) you would have 5th level spells for both, the possibility of combining a repelling, agonizing eldritch blast with a 5th level healing word twice per short rest. Also, the obvious utility possible from college of lore.
AND, you can actually say that your character sold his soul to learn how to play guitar. 'Nuff said.

Riley37

First Post
College of Valor is all about hitting your foes with a sword or similar weapon. It gives you weapon and armor proficiencies; a level in Fighter would do that too. But you'll need STR and/or DEX to make effective use of those proficiencies, rather than just cranking out the Eldritch Blasts. The big synergy with Bard is the use of CHA as spellcasting stat.

Is there RAW about multiclassing and whether warlock spell slots are interchangable with other class's spell slots?
I'd expect them to require separate tracking, since they work so differently, as well as coming from different sources.

College of Lore, however, gives you two awesome synergies:
(1) warlocks have a limited spell list, and College of Lore gives cross-class spells starting at level 6.
(2) if your Pact is with a Great Old One, you could be a student of *forbidden* lore. Secrets that Man was not meant to know. Songs that were sung before mankind existed, atonal melodies played on instruments designed for webbed hands... you could have fun with that, thematically. Take the Sage background too, and ask your friendly local librarians disturbing questions until they flinch every time they see you. Invent the "Lawful Chaotic" alignment! Cthulhu ftagn!

kerleth

Explorer
In the pact magic section of multiclassing, it says you can cast spells from other classes in your pact magic spell slots. Also, I really like the "songs sung before mankind existed" idea.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Just wanted to chime in and say I'm taking my own advice, and adding a level of Bard to my primary character (currently Rogue 1 / Warlock 3). Great Old One, Chain pact, mask and chain lord invocations.

Skill: arcana.
Instrument: pipe. Pied Piper vibe seems to go with Great Old One & Chain pact.
Cantrips: True Strike and Friends.
Spells: Cure Wounds, Disguise Self, Sleep, and either Dissonant Whispers or Tasha's.

After picking up Disguise Self, I'll petition my patron to swap the Mask invocation for Repelling Blast. Agonizing Blast is more optimal, but knocking a target 20' (if both blasts hit) just sounds fun.

Keep in mind that when you use a warlock slot to cast a bard spell, that slot is likely a high level slot. Warlocks with healing spells can get the whole party back to full hp in a few hours. And Sleep is scary when cast with high level slot.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Multiclass with Sorcerer. 2 spell points lets you cast a spell as a bonus action. Normally you can't then cast a second spell with your regular action...unless it's a cantrip, which Eldritch Blast is! Now if we can find some way to get Hex as a spell... :)

Remove ads