Curse of the Crimson Throne Adventure Path

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast
3 out of 5 rating for Curse of the Crimson Throne Adventure Path

Do you like Varisia? Do you want to know more about Korvosa? Play Curse of the Crimson Throne. Do you detest linear quest lines, dungeon delving, and intrigue? Don't play Curse of the Crimson Throne. This solid but often uninspiring adventure path suffers from having been eclipsed by the more recent adventure paths in quality and content simply because of all the lessons learned while writing adventure path after adventure path. I have no doubt that when Curse was originally released it was great, but better modules have been released since.

4 out of 5 rating for Curse of the Crimson Throne Adventure Path

I've only played chapter one: Edge of Anarchy on this one, but so far the AP has offered an intriguing setting in the city of Korvosa, which is plunged into chaos at the death of the monarch, under suspicious circumstances. The players are hired as additional help for the Korvosan Guard, and spend most of the adventure carrying out missions for the Guard in the hopes of quelling the unrest in the city. This chapter has a very episodic feel to it, and has enough "ewww" moments to impart the grim, gritty feel of this urban adventure to the players. I'll be starting the second chapter: Seven Days to the Grave" after the holidays are over, so I can post more info later.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous

While the first half of this AP has a lot of city sandbox elements, the second half is much more fixed, although the adventures contain advice to the GM how to adapt or leave out certain things. If a group either dislikes sandbox style play or totally abhors railroading, this is probably not the right AP. Also, some of the dungeon elements added seem a bit far fetched and ust there to have a dungeon at all. With the right group and the right GM it is a delight to play.

Zil

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for Curse of the Crimson Throne Adventure Path

I really enjoyed running the Adventure Path. In the initial three volumes, the focus is urban adventuring in Golarion's Korvosa. GMs running this adventure should consider picking up Paizo's guide to Korvosa as it can help in fleshing out the city. After the completion of the third adventure, the focus moved beyond Korvosa before returning again in the sixth. My players quite enjoyed this adventure and some of the special rules for the AP such as the harrow rules and some of the other rule systems contained within such as the rooftop chase rules. My only nitpicks are that the Harrow rules specific to the final installment made the end encounter a bit too easy in our game. Also, the final resolution with the group's harrow deck was unsatisfying to the group. Overall though, one of the best Adventure Paths and highly recommended.

P0L

Explorer

Really brings to life the city of Korvosa. This AP will work best if you manage to make your players LOVE their hometown. When the s**t hits the fan, they should want to stay and fight, and only grudgingly leave the city for the 4th adventure.It has colorful characters, including the city's own "batman" that if you manage to involve with the players can make a very satisfying side plot.The revolving dungeon of Arkona is one of the best I've run!The second part feels a little railroaded out of the city, but takes you to exotic locations, including the cinderlands barbarian lands and a deadly high level haunted castle that will take quite a few sessions to clear.Finally, you come back to your hometown for an epic showdown with the Big Bad.

Talysian

Explorer

If I could take out the Shoanti chapter and the nothing but a huge dungeoncrawl chapter this would be my favorite ap hands down.

Dragovon

First Post

This was lots of fun to run. Was built well to make the PCs care about the town and maybe even have one become the new ruler.

Starfox

Adventurer
5 out of 5 rating for Curse of the Crimson Throne Adventure Path

As so often, this is an adventure path of two different parts. It looks like a city adventure, and the beginning is one. Parts 4, 5, and half of part 6 are set outside the city, and require a pretty different set of skills than the rest, testing city-bred rogues and investigators severely. The three first parts are great, lovely situations and lots of opportunities for role-play. The fourth and fifth parts are set outside the city and is a survival adventure and a huge dungeon respectively. Both are interesting, but feel a bit out of place. The final part is a summing up and feels a little hurried. Combining parts 4 and 5 and splitting the final part into two books would have been a better use of pages. Still, this is a kick-ass series of adventures and makes for some very memorable villains. Highly recommended. Personally, I have used this as the core story of a 4-year campaign (with lots of other filler, among them half of the Council of Theives AP), and it has filled my expectations and the story has been strong enough to stay compelling despite all the distractions.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases