Curse of the Crimson Throne Adventure Path

nyteshade_xt

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for Curse of the Crimson Throne Adventure Path

Curse of the Crimson Throne starts off a bit slow in my opinion and feels just a bit disconnected from the first adventure to the second. Otherwise it's fun to play and GM.

Ackbladder

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for Curse of the Crimson Throne Adventure Path

Although there are a few weak spots (see below), this is one of my favorite AP's that I've read to date. It's got a compelling storyline, a lot of decent city-based adventuring, and a compelling big bad guy (er gal actually).Weak points are the whole Shoanti ritual section (for me, I didn't find that very interesting) and the kind of underwhelming finale. I've heard some people complain about the big meaty dungeon crawl that is Scarwall, but I think it's really well done, and to me it seems like the real highlight of the AP. There are lots of bits that seem worth elaborating on (Blackjack, the nosferatu, chaos running rampant throughout the city, that psychotic elf cleric who is the best NPC ever) - it's almost an embarrassment of riches. As a GM, my big problem would be picking and choosing what to spend time on fleshing out. Of course, now there is also the problem of converting to a more modern rules system - either Pathfinder or whatever floats your boat. I really despise the mess that 3.5 became, so I'd personally be disinclined to play it as is under 3.x D&D rules. If I was playing Pathfinder, I might not judge CotCT to be worth the effort in converting, since there are other ready to roll AP's that I think are almost as strong (Shattered Star, RotRL AE). But if you're looking for an AP to convert to 5E or some other system, I'd put this near the top of your list, especially if your group is in the mood for some swashbuckling urban plotlines.

mxyzplk

Explorer

Even though it's written for 3.5e, we played it using the Pathfinder Beta rules, and it was my favorite AP. You get to defend your city, party with barbarians, and commit regicide. Book 4 is a bit lead-by-the-nose but the city of Korvosa, the NPCs, and the overall plot were a huge amount of fun.

Crucius

First Post

This is a good AP in terms of RP, and storyline; But mechanically it's just too challenging. Getting destroyed by Blood Veil for the vast majority of the beginning of the game is difficult enough, but the end of Book 2 dungeon is nearly impossible in it's vanilla form. Fighting a leukodaemon at level 5 or 6, as a miniboss, is insane. Followed by the boss of the dungeon you have to kill twice? Just too much. From other perspectives, though, the AP is well crafted. Interesting NPCs, a great storyline, and fun encounters make this a great AP. Just be careful with the vanilla encounters.

Greyson

Explorer

It's hard to follow-up withe the amazing Rise of the Runelords. But, Curse of the Crimson Throne does a pretty good job. The adventure Path moves south to the city/state of Korvosa and explores that interesting region, its people and its unique queen. This is a must-play adventure path to get to know western Golarion.

Rorryn

First Post

Great time, I felt kind of like I was Ned Stark from Game of Thrones........you know, minus the execution part.

Navior

First Post

Read my full review on Of Dice and Pen.

It was perhaps inevitable that Curse of the Crimson Throne would one day also receive a similar treatment to Rise of the Runelords. There’s no special anniversary to celebrate this year, but does there really need to be? Much like its Runelords predecessor, the new hardcover compilation of Crimson Throne updates the adventure path to Pathfinder rules and also expands on the story where beneficial and streamlines in other areas. It also takes advantage of the most recent rules supplements, making use of newer monsters, classes, and feats where appropriate.

At nearly 500 pages in length, it is actually a substantially larger tome than the hardcover Runelords (a good 50 pages or so longer), and its extra length is certainly put to good use. Indeed, it manages to make one of the best adventure paths even better.

Daramere

First Post

Curse of the Crimson Throne is a masterwork adventure, weaving extensive thematic components throughout, effectively using memorable NPCs, expertly working PCs into the larger story in significant (but level-appropriate) ways, and just providing a good adventuring time.

Enrico Poli

First Post

Memorable story and characters. Fourth installment is much weaker then the others but the overall story is still superb.

zztong

Explorer
3 out of 5 rating for Curse of the Crimson Throne Adventure Path

This AP had an interesting plot, but the execution was too drawn out. This is a two-book plot spread out over six books. There's lots of unimportant encounters and a couple of missed opportunities for more inspired encounters/situations.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases