Council of Thieves Adventure Path

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
5 out of 5 rating for Council of Thieves Adventure Path

I loved this AP -- Great characterization and plot, though a bit on the brief side.

BobROE

Explorer
3 out of 5 rating for Council of Thieves Adventure Path

Books 2 - 4 of this are really solid, 1's a little odd, and it sort of falls apart in 5 and 6. Well worth playing for book 2 alone.

jcbarbarossa

First Post
3 out of 5 rating for Council of Thieves Adventure Path

This AP was hurt by a weak opening adventure and lackluster BBs, but there were definite highlights as well.

Dragovon

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Council of Thieves Adventure Path

This one runs to a lower level, but if run well provides much incentive to get the players to care about the city (and perhaps become ruler). Lots of fun.

Starfox

Hero
4 out of 5 rating for Council of Thieves Adventure Path

Set in Cheliax, this path has an definite infernal flavor. It is also a city adventure, with only half of one book set outside town. I have played this as a part of another campaign, and cut away about half to do so, but I loved the parts we did play. Lots of role-playing moments and cinematic situations, this is probably one of the most scenic of all adventure paths. It gets a little long, tough. Perhaps more so because I cut away some parts - most all of what I kept was about devils, and my players were wishing for some mundane encounters by the end.

imars

Villager
4 out of 5 rating for Council of Thieves Adventure Path

My party was looking for an urban adventure with more diplomacy and less fighting. We ran this in monthly sessions after work for a period of two years. What we got was a running story with enough mystery to keep the plot moving through all six books. Where the adventure path excelled was in the second book with the murder play. This was a unique experience that I think everyone should try, even if you have to shoe-horn it into your current campaign. A lost opportunity here was that the city could have been fleshed out a lot more. There could have been more characters who kept appearing throughout the adventure. It is worthwhile to try and engineer this yourself. The fame/popularity point system did not really work for me. You go to great pains to help the PCs gather these throughout the adventure only to realize at the end that the chart to assess the results appears hopelessly skewed to a bad result. Despite these failings Council of Thieves great mystery which plays out in a compact geographical space.

2 out of 5 rating for Council of Thieves Adventure Path

This one started with a bang, but we gave up at the end of Chapter 5. The whole 'spread over 12 levels' approach didn't work so well for us. The last Chapter felt like an add-on when it should have felt like a grand finale. A weird 'city in chaos' sandbox which could admittedly be used for home campaigns though... like a bunch of mini games to fill weeks where you have a few no-shows....The backdrop of Cheliax promised a lot, but the adventure wasn't really focused on that. A missed opportunity...

Remove ads