Kingmaker Adventure Path

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
5 out of 5 rating for Kingmaker Adventure Path

Kingmaker is controversial, but in the end it deserves a 5-star rating.
It is a great sandbox, as the party has to hexcrawl. This is also a weakness because most of the encounters will be very easy for a well-rested party.
There is a great Quest system: every installment has 8 major quests and a number of lesser quests to be completed. This is fun!
The kingdom-management mini-game is fun and, at first, interesting, but after a pair of adventures becomes broken and boring. The players could also exploit it for money = unbalanced magic items.
The mass battle subsystem is crap.

Anyway, the first two adventures are really great. The third and fourth are problematic, because, in my opinion, the balance between exploration and dungeon-crawl is no more, and the hexes are only there as a background for the final dungeons, so they lose the unique feel of Kingmaker. The fifth adventure returns to the right spirit, and then we have the tournament, and some great villains! The sixth adventure is like a fairytale! In itself is a fantastic adventure, but it is very different then all other installments of the AP; plus, the BBEG hasn't been properly anticipated.

To make the Kingmaker experience, one could just play the first two adventures of the campaign. That said, this is enough to make Kingmaker one of the GREAT Paizo adventure paths that deserves to be played once.

zztong

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for Kingmaker Adventure Path

I enjoyed the premise and execution of the Kingmaker AP through the early modules. The DM did not care for the later modules and changed the plot, so I did not experience those as written.

We had a great experience with this Adventure path. We did make extensive changes and skipped almost everything in the final module, but the modules gave us a fantastic playground to play in.

Aluvial

Explorer

I have been running this for 5 years now. We are just finishing book 5. I think it is a great setting and I'm really happy for a reasonable system for running kingdoms and sandbox play. The hardcover that expanded the system along with other 3rd party publishers made for a really robust system. I tweaked mass combat however.... 2d10 rather than d20 for mass combat attacks. It made all the difference in the world.

Adunaphel

Villager

We played throug to level and I loved this AP. Don't know how much extra work our DM put in, but the struggle between building and adventuring was cool.
I missed this empire-building since D&D blue box and now it's back. This AP is my top priority to be continued.

Defender_X

Explorer
3 out of 5 for me. The last module was a dungeon crawl and I felt that a big final battle with armies would have been better. Covid, some players not in the game anymore, phoning it in and general fatigue with the whole path didn't help.

The need for fight after fight after fight in order to meet the XP requirements becomes a real grind by book 4.
We're engaged in sidestepping that entirely by running it under GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. In some senses we're "too tough" for parts of it, but every fight involves real risk, because GURPS criticals can be pretty deadly.
The second element is managing the kingdom. This is kinda fun, but can be rather hard to manage without multiple spreadsheets...
One of our players is a recently retired senior accountant. We've just left it all to him, apart from accepting roles in the government.

4 out of 5.
Still my fav PF AP ( have run 5 to completion, abandoned 2 as they were poor, and played 2 to the end).
Only posting as I am 16 sessions into running it for a 2nd time, so well worth joining a thread ressurection.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
4 out of 5 rating for Kingmaker Adventure Path

Kingmaker was the first (and only) Pathfinder AP we played to completion. I was down on it at the time (back in 2010), but it’s turn into a favorite in retrospect. I did go quite a bit off script in terms of adventure. I added a lot of stuff between the books when the PCs were taking care of their kingdom. The exploration rules were pretty bad though, and our experience with Kingmaker has informed my current opinion on player-facing hexes (just say no) to this day.

Starfox

Adventurer

The hardcover that expanded the system along with other 3rd party publishers made for a really robust system. I tweaked mass combat however.... 2d10 rather than d20 for mass combat attacks. It made all the difference in the world.
Is that finally out? I was in the kickstarter and haven't had any news of it in ages!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases