Serpent's Skull Adventure Path

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
3 out of 5 rating for Serpent's Skull Adventure Path

I played it through book three. It's okay, but no more. There are some good moments, but I do not catch fully. The DM probably has to dao a lot of extra work to make it attractive past book 2.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous

The starting adventure which could also be played alone is a sandboxy shipwrecked on an island scenario. The rest is much more railroady and needs the GM to ump through some hoops, add stuff and leave other things out fitting to the party to keep things interesting. It still has a sandbox feel which can be employed if the story or lack thereoff behind it all isn't taken too seriously. I enoyed it still, but enoyed it more playing it with a good GM than GMing it myself.

Dragovon

First Post

The first part involves a shipwreck and was amazing. The second part was supposed to be a race, but you never felt like it. If I ran it again, I'd change up this part to make it more of a race. Parts 3 and 4 both involved searching a lost city. The city is not fleshed out at all well, and you should combine those 2 books together and add more to flesh out the city. Book 5 another lost city needs serious fleshing out. Book 6 was fun.

Starfox

Adventurer
4 out of 5 rating for Serpent's Skull Adventure Path

First, I've only read this adventure path, not actually played it. With the exception of the first and last parts, this is a story of jungle exploration. It could have worked just as well in a horror, pulp, or steampunk game, and uses some conventions from those genres. Read like this it is an excellent story.

The first part begins with a shipwreck leaving the players stranded for a bit of survival training. It is a good standalone, but actually quite separate from the plot. The players do have a chance to make connections and enemies that become important later. Parts 2 to 4 detail finding and exploring an ancient city deep in the jungle. The final two chapters are about discovering the caverns under the city and are less true to the exploration genre and more normal dungeons. I'd consider skipping at least part six, or possibly combine parts five and six into one shorter adventure, but I was never one for long dungeon slogs. Others might love this part and want to skip parts 1-4 as pure introduction.

Last edited:

JLant

First Post
2 out of 5 rating for Serpent's Skull Adventure Path

I'm an Africa-phile so this should have really been in my wheel house. Uncharacteristically bland for a Paizo AP and totally lost the wonder of its Africa-inspired setting.

mxyzplk

Explorer

This AP starts out with an interesting shipwreck and leads into a faction-filled trek through the fantasy-African jungle. Unfortunately, once you get to this part they manage to suck both the interest and exoticism out of the trip - it feels like many other cross-country fantasy trips - and once you get to the lost ruins they had an author bail on an AP chapter and someone else had to fill in at the last moment, making it a chapter full of super boring grinds just to get XP. Would have been better as a level 1-10 AP with more focus on the African travel and culture component.

marroon69

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for Serpent's Skull Adventure Path

Great delve in to the pulpy world of jungles and dark secrets! I love the players choices, the open use of the lost city, the emphasis on exploration, the competing factions and the use of the sanity rules!! Lol playing a paranoid rogue was one of the mist fun I have had in long time!

UNSpectre

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Serpent's Skull Adventure Path

I really enjoyed running this adventure. Main theme for the first half of the adventure the many opposing factions that try to stymie the party and be the ones who reap the rewards of the lost Azlanti city. As the factions lose or get annihilated, the adventure can get really interesting. The other half of the adventure is to defeat the plans of the serpentfolk. Party stayed interested all the way to the end. I did have to put a lot of work into the overall adventure but it was worth it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases