Hell's Rebels Adventure Path

delericho

Legend
3 out of 5 rating for Hell's Rebels Adventure Path

I found "Hell's Rebels" somewhat tricky to rate - as with all the Paizo APs, it's extremely well put together, the story is well told, and there's no doubt a lot of fun to be had here; however, I'm afraid this path also left me cold, and left me with no burning desire to run it. (Indeed, unlike most paths, this one didn't have a single "must run" adventure, which is quite unusual - even those paths I haven't liked have usually had at least one outstanding part. So in the end, I've rated this at 3 stars - below "Giantslayer", "Princes of the Apocalypse", or "Out of the Abyss". It's rather better than "Tyranny of Dragons" (both as a compiled storyline and also each part individually)... but I have no desire to play that one, either.

There's not really much else to say: the synopsis of the path, and also of the individual volumes, give a pretty decent idea of what to expect - the PCs are rebels against the powers-that-be in a city in Cheliax, with the potential to make a real difference in their entire region.

Perhaps one thing worth noting: the last part of the last adventure has a "Content Warning" as it's somewhat more adult-oriented than the norm for Pathfinder (well, apart from the "Hook Mountain Massacre" adventure in "Rise of the Runelords"). I found myself a little uneasy about this - it's not that I object to adult-oriented material (I don't), and I agree that if it is present then there probably does need to be fair warning. However, by placing the warning before the last section of the last adventure, it potentially meant someone could play the entire campaign to this point only to find they couldn't enjoy the climax - the effect is akin to producing a series of films all at PG-13 rating and then jumping to an R for the last. I think I would have preferred the content warning to be given right at the outset, and then (potentially) they could have taken the gloves off throughout.

Starfox

Adventurer
5 out of 5 rating for Hell's Rebels Adventure Path

Its a pity Ultimate Intruige was not finished in time for this - it seems to fit almost as well as Wrath of the Righteous fit the mythic rules. That said, this is still one of the best urban campaigns I've had the pleasure to read. No part really stands out, as each issue is really a number of events or mini-adventures, often culminating in a finale at the end. Unlike Curse of the Crimson Throne, the main competitor for best urban adventure path, this is not bait-and switch, it stays true to its theme throughout. Unlike Council of Thieves, it rarely feels contrived or forced. Overall one of the best adventure paths available.

Last edited:

Starfox

Adventurer

This is a series of adventurers, like chapters in a book. In each chapter, the players have rather a lot of freedom, but the whole thing is still run within a framework. It is all a city adventure, with only minor forays outside the city walls.That said, the framework is lovely! It is full of lovely situations, plots, and NPCs. You can talk your way out of at least half the encounters presented if you want to. You can weave your own plots, and the GM will have enough information on the NPCs to make them react sensibly. Overall, the best intrigue/plot/city adventure path so far.

4 out of 5 rating for Hell's Rebels Adventure Path

Great adventure path - I'm seeing this one from a player's perspective (only played the first book as of now). I find the plot a bit weak at times and the rebellion tracking onerous, but the rest is regular Pathfinder quality, and I'm thinking some of the cool, more dangerous stuff will come later.

DocShoveller

First Post

The adventures are inventive, exciting, and packed with roleplaying opportunities. The narrative stays focused, the rebellion sub-system isn't too time-consuming and has the potential to enhance gameplay rather than detract from it. Some excellent set-pieces. Extra value from AP #100 (book 4) that enhances every other AP.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases