D&D 5E DMG Preview: POISONS!

Ziusnafallion

First Post
I don't see where it says that a poisoned is exhausted from a weapon after the first attack, and the basic poison in the PHB suggests it might be good for a full minute. Is it possible that Purple Worm and Wyvern poison might turn you into a combat monster with insane damage potential for an entire combat?

I was wondering this, also. How long does a single dose of injury type poison last if applied to a weapon? One strike? A minute? Also, how long before combat could the poison be applied to a weapon and still retain its potency? As in, does it dry out, etc?

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Running to a swamp to grab the flower to cure sight rot could make for an interesting quest hook. I always thought having specific cures were more interesting than making a certain amount of saves.

Really looking forward to the madness section.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I don't see where it says that a poisoned is exhausted from a weapon after the first attack, and the basic poison in the PHB suggests it might be good for a full minute. Is it possible that Purple Worm and Wyvern poison might turn you into a combat monster with insane damage potential for an entire combat?

I was wondering this, also. How long does a single dose of injury type poison last if applied to a weapon? One strike? A minute? Also, how long before combat could the poison be applied to a weapon and still retain its potency? As in, does it dry out, etc?

In 1e, I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly, poisons applied to weapons for combat (and the infamous Dagger of Venom) functioned for 3 rounds, before it's exposure to the air rendered it inert and/or it was used up/wiped off the blade. These poisons don't sounds like they become inert ever.

I suspect, 5e's DMG will have details on poison use somewhere (though I would certainly agree with the poisons would have made more sense).

Otherwise, "poisoned" is a condition. The PHB is explicit that the duration of conditions are a)until they are countered or b) a duration specified by the effect. That doesn't really have anything to do with how long the poison on the weapon [injury type?] lasts though.

I suppose, without other clarification in the DMG, one could say that poisons, if harvested as the book specifically states, could conceivably last forever..."until countered", as by antitoxin or a Neutralize Poison spell.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Love what I'm seeing here!

As for using poison, my ruling would be one action to coat, and it's used up on a successful hit. Ie insane awesome for ambushes, but not always practical in combat outside that (but then some of that poison incapacitates etc- it could be worth it, just depends).

Nebulous

Legend
The only thing that i don't like is how against these lethal poisons you get a saving throw every 6 seconds to make it all better. I know it's for balance reasons, but still. It irks me.

Aside from that it's awesome!! :)

Tormyr

Adventurer

I imagine that it will be very similar if not the same as the Basic Poison in the PHB.

The only thing that i don't like is how against these lethal poisons you get a saving throw every 6 seconds to make it all better.
The lethal poisons just kill you outright. Most people aren't walking around with more than 10hp, after all. There are debilitation poisons that get you for at least a day, and lethal poisons that kill you outright... I'm not sure what the 6 second poisons are supposed to represent.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
It would be nice, just once, to have clear and specific poison rules. You know, just a SINGLE SENTENCE noting that a single dose of poison only lasts one hit when spread on a melee weapon. Or lasts beyond several melee strikes for a full minute until drying. Or how about inhaled poisons? So a single dose of poison fills a 5 foot cube. Ok...but for how long? Instantly? A minute? Until dispersed? Pathfinder I suppose was just as bad, but..

Very disappointed.

Remove ads