Musings on Time

Are you familiar with potential energy? It is energy that could be released. If you lift an object, you give it greater potential energy, because it is higher, with more distance to fall. When it falls, that potential energy is converted to kinetic energy, and so when the object stops falling, it has less potential energy than when it was raised high.

Now, onto the actual musing.

Spacetime is one constant entity. Space and time are the same thing, which can be detected by experiments involving Einsteinian General Relativity.

Gravity causes objects to fall through space, and the objects achieve ever lower levels of potential energy. Objects do not fall up, because gravity attempts to make matter have the lowest possible state of potential energy.

Time flows forward. Why? We have never perceived time to flow backward. Since space and time are united, perhaps matter falls down through space in one direction (toward lowest possible potential energy) just as matter travels through time in one direction (toward the lowest possible potential energy). Since the universe is expanding, and the law of the conservation of energy states that the universe cannot gain or lose energy, only convert it from one form to another, that would mean that as we progress forward in time, and matter becomes less and less dense, and the same amount of energy is spread over an ever-larger volume of space, then would not the potential energy in any given 5-foot cube be continually decreasing?

As space expands, energy is spread over a larger area, and the local potential energy is reduced. Space falls toward the state of lowest possible potential energy. Time and space are the same thing. Thus, the reason time moves forward is that that the universe, as a whole, is moving asymptotically toward the least possible state of energy. Time moving backward is like an object falling up. It just doesn't happen, because the universe seeks to have the least energy possible (even though the sum of energy never changes), and it attempts to do this by expanding.

Cool, huh? I had this thought after being awake for about 20 hours. Neat how 20 seems to be a pretty important number, eh? As in the D20 system. ;)

But, right before I head off, one last thought. Time is supposed to go in one direction, just as matter is supposed to fall in one direction. But we can lift matter, make it move against gravity by increasing its potential energy. If we could increase matter's potential energy in a different way, would it be possible to move matter backward in time? Time and space are the same, afterall, so this really shouldn't be as hard as it looks.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There are a few... problems here that ought to be addressed. My apologies for the large sections of quoted text, but I find them invaluable to keep references obvious:

Originally posted by RangerWickett
Spacetime is one constant entity. Space and time are the same thing, which can be detected by experiments involving Einsteinian General Relativity.

Yes and no. General Relativity puts time and space on the same mathematical footing. That is not equivalent to saying they are the same thing.

Time flows forward. Why? We have never perceived time to flow backward. Since space and time are united, perhaps matter falls down through space in one direction (toward lowest possible potential energy) just as matter travels through time in one direction (toward the lowest possible potential energy).

There is a major breakdown in your analogy here. In the process of moving from high to low gravitational potential energy by falling, an object accelerates - it's speed of motion increases. We have no evidence that the "rate" at which objects "move through time" is increasing. Our observations are consistent with all objects in the universe coasting through time at a constant "rate", analogous to an object moving with constant speed in space - with no change in potential energy.

Note: having a "rate" of motion through the time dimension is not a well defined concept. Speed is normally measured as a distance covered per unit time. Speed through time would be, what? Time covered per unit time? Thus I use quotes.

Since the universe is expanding, and the law of the conservation of energy states that the universe cannot gain or lose energy, only convert it from one form to another, that would mean that as we progress forward in time, and matter becomes less and less dense, and the same amount of energy is spread over an ever-larger volume of space, then would not the potential energy in any given 5-foot cube be continually decreasing?

This question has more than one answer...

Being very picky about how you write it, the answer is, "Generally, no." The amount of potential energy in a given 5-foot cube will continually decrease if and only if said 5-foot cube is completely and perfectly isolated from all other space. The statement holds only for very specific 5-foot cubes, not any cube.

Attempting, instead, to read what you probably want to mean, the answer is, "That rather depends what you mean by a 5-foot cube." Note that in an expanding space, what is meant by a foot is not necessarily well defined. As the space expands, so do all the rulers. Whether or not you say that the amount of potential energy in the cube decreases depends on how you account for the change in rulers.

WanderingMonster

First Post
Here's my musing on Time

DM: "Okay. You set out from town on horseback. The ride is uneventful, aaaaaaand...you're there."

Player: "How much rations should we check off?"

DM: "Uuuuummmmmm...two days? No. THREE days."

Player2: "Do we have TIME to heal?"

DM: "Uh, yeah. Okay. You're at full."

Player3: "I want to make a suit of chainmail with my Craft skill before we enter the dungeon, can I do that?"

Player4: "And I'll enchant it to plus one!"

Player3: "Cool! Thanks."

Player4: "You owe me."

DM: "Okay, Okay. You do that. When you enter the dungeon..."

drnuncheon

Explorer
Re: Re: Musings on Time

Umbran said:
There is a major breakdown in your analogy here. In the process of moving from high to low gravitational potential energy by falling, an object accelerates - it's speed of motion increases. We have no evidence that the "rate" at which objects "move through time" is increasing. Our observations are consistent with all objects in the universe coasting through time at a constant "rate", analogous to an object moving with constant speed in space - with no change in potential energy.

I'd just like to note that my own personal observations are consistent with the Eath being completely stationary and I am sitting completely still. It is only when you get "outside" that system that you are able to see that the Earth is actually moving at a staggering rate.

Frame of reference is an incredibly important thing. If everything we can detect is "accelerating" at the same "rate" it will look like it is standing still.

J

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases