Will you be gaming in 20 years?

Will you be gaming in 20 years?

• Yes. And I'm going to be writing the books to!!

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • Yes. I'll be playing and/or DMing forever

Votes: 137 60.9%
  • No. I imagine by then family/work/etc will keep me too busy.

Votes: 16 7.1%
  • No. I'll be tired of it by then.

Votes: 8 3.6%

Templetroll

Explorer
mr.brown said:
no. i think im the first to say that. i love gaming but would like to stay out of the life style because i find it is unhealthy to base ones life around a fantasy world. but im speaking from my experience with gamers for abut the past 4 years and i have found that most of the older gamers are fat unhappy and live for one thing(the oppertunity to game more). im not trying to insult you folks though if you love it enough to spend your life on it well more power to you.

It's not insulting so much as dismaying that you took the question to mean "I'll make gaming the main focus of my life". I didn't get that idea from it at all.

Even during the most intense gaming period, when I had more free time and money, I didn't limit myself only to gaming. My social circle was mostly, but not exclusively, gamers. We found that doing things like movies, Christmas shopping, visiting nearby tourist attractions with our friends was more enjoyable than doing it without them.

In future, I expect this to continue. Having kids alters the amount of time that can be spent on gaming and brings along lots of other activities for an involved parent to participate in with their child. Gaming happens to be a cool way to spend time with your family, to be surprised and delighted by them.

I've found that the TV is much more like to interfere with a relationship since it requires more concentration from you. People who base their lives around a TV schedule are also likely to be fat and unhappy, from what I've seen.

Anything in excess is bad for you, although excessive exercise isn't likely to make you fat. :) Those people you refer to are making a decision to limit themselves, which is unfortunate.

zero skill LPB

First Post
Dude! Save your teeth!

I can't *wait* to be a gamin' oldie!

Just think of all the money we'll save using our rotted out teeth instead of WotC minis! YES!

It's a fine thing, by crackey.

:D

Lela

First Post
I hope you people don't really expect me to find any other way to relax.

I've tried. It doesn't work.

Oh, and I love it.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Will I continue my RPG hobby 20 years from now? I honestly do not know. I'm already thirtysomething. The only way I can continue my hobby past the fiftysomething/midlife crisis phase is to be professionally or actively involved in the RPG community: write articles that will be published in well-known gaming magazines, become a gaming event organizer, operate a local gaming society club, or run a small FLGS.

Zander

Explorer
Hand of Evil said:

Over 40
Over weight
Short (5' 4")
Stress
Male

Ceteris paribus short people live longer. Your other characteristics are risk factors though.

With regards to whether I'll be gaming in 20 years, the answer is 'yes' barring death, disease or injury that prevents me. I've been gaming for 20 years. When I started, I was sure I would still be gaming 20 years on - and I am. People don't normally change their personality much during adulthood. I liked it when I started, I like it now and I'll like it when I'm old and grey (if I ever am).

Some posters have suggested that they'd like to be playing when they're in retirement homes. Gaming does have some risks for the elderly, however. The shock of your character dying might actually kill you. :D

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Probably. I've clocked up twenty years since my first game.

Do I want to be gaming in twenty years? I've tried giving up gaming a couple of times, but something keeps luring me back again and again. I'd want to be gaming less in twenty years, that's for sure :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases