Will you be gaming in 20 years?

Will you be gaming in 20 years?

• Yes. And I'm going to be writing the books to!!

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • Yes. I'll be playing and/or DMing forever

Votes: 137 60.9%
  • No. I imagine by then family/work/etc will keep me too busy.

Votes: 16 7.1%
  • No. I'll be tired of it by then.

Votes: 8 3.6%

Lizard

Explorer
I was gaming almost twenty five years AGO, so I see no reason why I wouldn't be gaming in the future. My wife and I plan to spend our golden years driving the staff at the nursing home crazy. "Nurse! The die rolled on the floor! Tell me if it's a 20 or not, I'm trying to kill this damn dragon!"

Think about it:RPGs are perfect for seniors. They require little physical exertion, they can be played sitting down for long periods, they keep the mind active, and provide an 'escape' from a life of lukewarm oatmeal and trying to remember which pill to take.

caudor

Adventurer
Buttercup said:
Like Elf Witch, I came to the hobby late. But I was born to game. I can't imagine not doing it. If I can't find players in the real world, then I'll DM and play online. Unless my mind goes, I will continue to game.

Buttercup, don't forget if we'll have plenty of time to play in the old folks home as well. Sure will be beat playing checkers. I'll be looking for ya.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Eric's not sad; Eric's a realist. :)

Truth is, (not to be a total downer, but) no one can say what they'll be doing in 20 years, or if we will even stil be on this earth; ask our formerly beloved and dear departed "Chairman Kaga" this question, and he probably would have said the same thing many here are - "teach my children, grandchildren," etc.

But Lord willing and fate withstanding, I'll be gaming until the nursing home attendant pries the twenty-sider from my cold, stiff fingers. :)

It's my hobby and my passion for 20+ years now. I may migrate to and fro, but I will never give it up totally.

Shadoe's Lady

First Post
See, the thing we need to do here is start pooling resources to invest into retirement homes geared towards gamers. No shuffleboard for us...we'll have the nice tables to roll dice on, an extensive gaming library, volunteers would come play or DM (we'd never be short on volunteers), all night gaming sessions (heck, all week), computers in every room (with DSL-or whatever they get up to by then). Ooh, and wait till you see the murals (no icky pastel walls for us). Who's with me?

Lizard

Explorer
Shadoe's Lady said:
See, the thing we need to do here is start pooling resources to invest into retirement homes geared towards gamers. No shuffleboard for us...we'll have the nice tables to roll dice on, an extensive gaming library, volunteers would come play or DM (we'd never be short on volunteers), all night gaming sessions (heck, all week), computers in every room (with DSL-or whatever they get up to by then). Ooh, and wait till you see the murals (no icky pastel walls for us). Who's with me?

Not so silly as you might think. The curve of the population is towards increasing age. There's a lot of old-people-to-be out there, and some of the work being done with nerve regeneration implies we'll have sharp minds even as our bodies start to require more attention. 'Themed' rest home (gamers, sports fans, cat people, etc) may be a big thing.

Shadoe's Lady

First Post
Lizard said:

Not so silly as you might think. The curve of the population is towards increasing age. There's a lot of old-people-to-be out there, and some of the work being done with nerve regeneration implies we'll have sharp minds even as our bodies start to require more attention. 'Themed' rest home (gamers, sports fans, cat people, etc) may be a big thing.

Exactly-we need to get in on the ground floor.

Daiymo

First Post
Yes vote here too. And I think those of us who came of age in the 80's will probably be playing in our twilight years. Like many have already said, its a pastime that requires little physical exertion, is social, and uses the imagination. I mean I can't imagine playing video games when I'm 65(barring any big leaps in gaming technology), as much as that pains me to think about.

WattsHumphrey

First Post
I don't know. I'd like to think so, but after college I may move across the country (or wherever jobs beckon) and I may not be able to continue playing.

Remove ads