Will you be gaming in 20 years?

Will you be gaming in 20 years?

• Yes. And I'm going to be writing the books to!!

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • Yes. I'll be playing and/or DMing forever

Votes: 137 60.9%
  • No. I imagine by then family/work/etc will keep me too busy.

Votes: 16 7.1%
  • No. I'll be tired of it by then.

Votes: 8 3.6%

What's scary is when I think of whether I'll be playing Magic in 20 years. I've been playing for 8 already, sold all my cards once, and I still have thousands of cards. The thought of a collectible card game going on for 20 years is almost nauseating.

Garmorn

Explorer
My wife reminded me, in twenty years we will be retired (her for the second time) and almost in our seventies. So if any one finds, starts a nice nursing home for gamers lets us know. Being able to game more the twice a week would be great.

:)

chillrb

First Post
Could you imagine that? I can see the schedule right now.

Mon: 6ed AD&D Really Forgotten Realms campaign 5-8pm
Tue: Discussion of Dragon Magazine issue #2455
Wed: Minitures for Seniors

Where can I sign up?! :D

Now to answer the question. I've been rpging almost 23 years now and couldn't imagine ever quitting.

blackshirt5

First Post
F'heck yeah, I'll still be gaming!! And writing my own stuff, even if it doesn't get published, for me, that's not what this hobby is all about, it's about fun with my gaming buddies, and destroying people in the tradition of Black Mage(and I don't think that in 20 years, my fondness for the Artifact "Spellbook of the Lejendary Black Mage" will have cooled off either).

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Silver Moon said:
I figure in another decade our next generation will be at the table as well...

It looks like I have early confirmation on the statement I made before, and that my gaming group will be in good hands with the next generation.

My 4th grade daughter is doing a book report for her class. She picked the Legend of King Arthur for her book, and instead of just writing a report she has decided to act it out for her class using miniatures. She spent the last hour choosing appropriate plastic figures for each of the main characters. She also seems to have developed my warped sense of humor, as for King Arthur she decided to use Arthur from the PBS children's cartoon, which she then covered in tin foil as armor.

Creamsteak

Explorer
GnomeWorks said:
I won't stop gaming until someone pries my dice from my cold, dead fingers... and then I'll come back as an undead and take them back! :D

Yep, same here. And once I get myself off the ground (FFT D20 and such) it'll finally be time to start writing material of my own. That'll be fun, afterall I'll be the same guy who designs software for what I write... at least, in my dreams.

Lizard said:

Not so silly as you might think. The curve of the population is towards increasing age. There's a lot of old-people-to-be out there, and some of the work being done with nerve regeneration implies we'll have sharp minds even as our bodies start to require more attention. 'Themed' rest home (gamers, sports fans, cat people, etc) may be a big thing.
Great idea... but a sports themed retirement home doesn't sound that wise... er... oww...

mr.brown

First Post
no. i think im the first to say that. i love gaming but would like to stay out of the life style because i find it is unhealthy to base ones life around a fantasy world. but im speaking from my experience with gamers for abut the past 4 years and i have found that most of the older gamers are fat unhappy and live for one thing(the oppertunity to game more). im not trying to insult you folks though if you love it enough to spend your life on it well more power to you.

TeflonBilly

First Post
I have to say that i hope that i will be playing D&D in the future. and i really hope that one day i have kids that i can teach the game to. Every one talking about their kids reminds me of my very first experience playing D&D. my mom brought the AD&D board game sometime when i was in the third grade. we started to role up and my brother roled 3 or 4 stas under 5. and so he started crying. it is probably on of my fondest D&D moments ever. i hope in 20 years that i have a good group hopefully my brothers who i still play with when they are home from college, an maybe come kids to teach as well

Templetroll

Explorer
I met my wife at a game of D&D, our daughter has gamed with us since she was 10 (she's 13 now) and in 20 years it is possible there will be grandchildren to be gaming with in some fashion. I know I plan on reading them The Hobbit as a bedtime story, just like I did with my daughter.

Roleplaying doesn't get stale if you bring fresh eyes with their own imagination to spark yours. I know my daughter has shown me that it is not a bad idea to choose "Run away!" as the first option when suddenly faced with some horrid unknown thingie.

:)

Remove ads