console rpg recommendations

messy

Explorer
i've been a little (ok, a lot) out of the console loop for the past 15 years, and i'm thinking of picking up a console to play some rpgs. my favorite game is the baldur's gate series and i also love the final fantasy series (but haven't played it since ff7).

can anyone recommend a console and some good rpgs?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Personally in your situation, I would buy a used or cheaper new Playstation 3.

Ton of great back catalog games in the genre you are looking for. Inexpensive. You can also download the early FF games from the playstation store.

Use it a a blu ray playery, AND so far, all the good games for the PS4 have been simo released for the PS3.

Win/win.

Janx

Hero
the funny thing there is that when my PS3 worked, there was a void in the RPG category. Turned my wife off the PS3 completely.

Now the PS2 was the king of RPGs.

dbm

Savage!
Bioware have put out Dragon Age and Mass Effect games for the PS3 - they are generally considered good examples of RPGs. Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is also available for the PS3 and another great game.

That's about 500-1000 hours of game play right there!

On the PS3 you can also buy FF8 and 9 to play if you fancy a little retro RPG action!

Mallus

Legend
You okay with portables? Probably the best deal for a JRPG fan is a Nintendo 3DS, which also plays the entire library of DS RPG's.

If you're after living room console, I'd go PS3, if only for Ni No Kuni (they're are other good JRPGs, but not as many as during the PS2 era).

Quick question -- you own a tablet? Plenty of great older JRPGs have been released for iOS (and I'm assuming Android).

Lindeloef

First Post
The Question is, for what console you are looking for.

The Gamecube had some amazing RPGs with Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos and Skies of Arcadia Legends (the Dreamcast remake).

On Xbox 360 I really liked Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases