The Arena (OOC)

Jemal

Adventurer
OK, I can't stop, so here goes another game :

At the moment of your death, you were visited by a strange being of light, who gave you a choice - Come to the Arena or he would let you die.
For whatever reason, you decided to come.

Since you've arrived, you have found out about that The Arena is a small plane like the prime material plame in most aspects, but no magics/psionics allow you to leave, that can only be accomplished by dieties and Greater Beings. You now 'live' on this plane.. You don't eat, sleep, age, or drink, but still breath and heal normally. You can interact with the other beings here, which vary from intelligent animals to humanoids to dragons and giants. Occasionally you are scheduled to participate in battles, decided by the greater powers of the plane, these battles take place in the Battlegrounds, which is also where you take someone when you have a disagreement with them.
Any Violence other than Verbal Insults that takes place outside the battlegrounds results in the expulsion of all parties involved to the lowest depths of the abyss, for eternal torment.

There are hundreds of battlegrounds all over the place, some open, some enclosed in rock, some forested, some set on sloping grounds, some on/under water, whatever Battlefield you can think of - it exists.

Create a character, 3rd edition, following rules:
ECL To Be Determined, I'll take a vote after I've described everything else.
Standard point Buy with 30-40 stat points (Depends on lvl).
Race - Any PHB, plus templates TBD after lvl
Class
Money will be the standard for whatever your lvl is, you can have any equipment that doesn't cost more than half that amount.
Alignment - Any Good/Evil, Law/Chaos... It doesn't matter, you're all here for similar reasons and don't have to get along... In fact, it's usually best to not, as theres a good chance you may end up facing your best friend in mortal combat.
Books - PHB, DMG, MM, Quintessential Series, Dragon Magazines(3E stuff), and the series which includes "Tome and Blood", "Sword and Fist", "Song and Silence", etc.
Anything else is a 'maybe', ask for it and I'll think about it. But absolutely NO netbooks (Yes, that includes the netbook of feats)
Each character starts with 1d6+Cha mod 'Arena Points'. These will be explained later.

I'll be creating several NPCs that you'll be able to interact with, and they may be anything - Dopplegangers, Dragons, Kobolds, whatever.

THE BATTLEGROUNDS:
When you go into the Battlegrounds (Whether by order of the gods, or just to settle a dispute), here's how it works :
The battleground you arrive in will be determined by the Greater Beings.
You will each be given a piece of a key, and there will be a gateway hidden somewhere near the center of the level (For smaller levels it should be easy to find, for larger ones, not so easy). The winner is the one who goes through the gateway first. Unfortunately, you need the full key to activate the gateway, and your opponent has the other half. Get it from him/her however you want. When one being arrives at the Gateway with both parts of the key, they are transported to the Winners room, and the looser (Or their remains) are sent to the Loosers room.

Some battles are 1 on 1, some are teams, some are Free for alls.
In a 1 on 1, it's pretty simple, follow the abovementioned rules.

In a Team battle it's the same, except each TEAM has 1 key-part (Carried by the team leader), and when one member of either team gets to the gateway with the key, then both teams are sent to their appropriate (Winner/Looser) spots. Anyone on the Winning team who is dead is instantly Ressurected, before being transported to the Winners Room.

Free For Alls - Similar to 1 v 1.. Each person has a half-key, still takes 1 key to get through the gateway. The difference is that there can be multiple winners/loosers, so you can make allies within the game and hope they don't betray you. There is a benefit, however, to not leaving as soon as you have a key - the winning benefits are divided among the winners according to how many keys they have (Thus if one person were to emerge from a 4-being FFA with both keys, they would get twice what a normal winner would get.

The Winner gains arena points and the Loser looses the same amount, on the following scale :
Winner 2 or more lvls higher: 1 point
both within 2 lvls of each other: 2 points
Winner 2 or more lvls lower: 3 points.

The Winner(s) also gain Experience based on the beings they got their key from, and a Monetary Reward from the Greater Beings, which can be spent in the (VERY well stocked) Store in the arena.

The Looser doesn't loose anything extra.

Anyone killed in the Battleground is Ressurected 24 hours later by the Greater Beings (With apropriate lvl/con loss)

Anything that happens to you in the Battlegrounds stays with you as it normally would, and some beings have had to go back in while still feeling the effects of their last battle.

Arena Points : These determine your rank in the Arena. The top 10 each year compete in a free-for all, and whoever emerges gets whatever they came here for (The Equivalent of a Powerful Wish Spell, the favour of your diety, being returned to the Prime Material Plane alive, etc).

Now, about lvl - I'ld like everyone to post what level they want to play. There will be NPCs ranging all the Lvls, so it doesn't really matter what you are, you'll always be put against beings with similar lvls to you.
So, anyone who wants to play Post the LVL you vote for.

This game will be mostly Combat, but there will be roleplaying, etc, outside of the Battlegrounds, as well as alliance making so that you're not by yourself in the FFA's (Which are the most common type of battle.)

Last edited:

Keia

I aim to misbehave
I'm interested as well. I would say anywhere between 7-12th levels will allow every one to have some diversity.

Keia

Wippit Guud

First Post
I got questions already.

How will consumable magic items be handles? (potions, scroll, ammunition). Does it get replenisted? Or are we given money to spend or something?

And can we loot the dead? :)

Rino

First Post
i'm in

(i'm a newbe with PbP, i play D&D for about a year now and wanting to play more often then with my DM, who is mostly partying)

GWolf

First Post
Damn Jemel, I think me, you, Kit, Garyh, and a few others have a rare strain of disease that forces us to join a sick amount of games....or is it a blessing?

Count me in!

Odd Ball Character

Level 10 is good

Last edited:

KitanaVorr

First Post
GWolf said:
Damn Jemel, I think me, you, Kit, Garyh, and a few others have a rare strain of disease that forces us to join a sick amount of games....or is it a blessing?

Count me in!

Odd Ball Character

Nyah what I have is the DM disease...I have five games in the works that haven't even made it to the boards yet that I'm ready to DM...I'm only limiting myself to saying that I can't have more than 2 on the boards in the works at a time....once one of them is off in the IC thread....I will post another one up.

hehehe.....

And phooey on you Jemal....LOL this Arena game was one of the ideas I was thinking about...damn....must move faster....

Dalamar

Adventurer
I want in!

For level I'd say somewhere around 10 or up.

And is psionics in? If yes, is the Mind's Eye considered a Netbook or 'Tome & Blood of psionics'?

Corlon

First Post
Any room for me? This game sounds cool.

hmm, I like levels 10, 12, 15, 27, and 72. :D

So, is this a make a cool character game, or a make a really-cheap-uber-power-guy game?

And can we ask you if we can use other stuff from different books, or is what you posted at the beginning final, and no changing whatsoever?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases