Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition: Keeper Rulebook

4 out of 5 rating for Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition: Keeper Rulebook

If you want to find a completely alternative roleplaying experience to Dungeons & Dragons, but one that is equally proven to create a unique atmosphere, this is probably the game you will want to turn to.

The seminal horror RPG, it marries straightforward percentile mechanics to a deeply nihilistic game world where player characters face overwhelming odds against alien monsters they can barely comprehend (and to attempt to do so drives them insane!). It works by celebrating the primacy of intelligent investigation over violent confrontation.

I don’t like a number of the rule changes in the latest edition as I feel they undermine this original premise a little. The characters created and new rules added tend to emulate pulp action primarily, while the mechanics are made a tad more complex overall. They may have removed the Resistance table from previous editions, for example, but they have replaced it with an equally complex degrees of success table. The combat and chase chapters massively expand on what was previously written, and the use of Luck as a plot-adjusting currency pool is more forgiving against the stark horror that you found in older editions. The addition of these rules has meant that some of the more thoughtful prose and discussion, including the original Lovecraft story, have been chopped out to make space. I’ve dropped the rating down from the maximum because of that.

Nevertheless, the imagery and writing are very affecting and the game remains a classic that yearns to be played.

Last edited:

Loki-lie-Smith

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition: Keeper Rulebook

This new edition add a few tweaks to the BRP system including the disappearance of the Resistance Table in favor a contested roll system, degrees of difficulty and a sanity system that, instead of emulating actual metal afflictions, emulate the way the characters react when facing Eldritch Horrors.

Espen

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition: Keeper Rulebook

Som people will probably tell you that this edition of Call of Cthulhu presents a radical shift in the rules system, and that it can't be used with books from older editions. This is simply not true. It is rather a refinement of the rules system, and I've been perfectly able to use older material with it on the fly.

Diehard GameFAN

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition: Keeper Rulebook

7e is much the same as previous editions. Most of the changes for this edition are cosmetic and they work nicely. My only real quibbles with this entire book are the ill thought out build stat and the terrible choice of adventures in this edition. Otherwise the book is fantastic on every level, with excellent artwork, well written essays and easy to grasp rules. Character Creation is slightly for the better thanks to the Skill Point changes and the shift to core stats being in percentile format may take a bit of getting used to for veterans, but it looks more cohesive once you get used to it. While 7e isn’t going to be my favorite version of Call of Cthulhu, it’s a damn good one, and something well worth picking up.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases