Fantasy Grounds

Arven

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Fantasy Grounds

Of all the Virtual Table Tops Fantasy Grounds is the only one to deliver a huge amount of functionality right from the start. I am primarily playing Savage Worlds based games like Hellfrost, Deadlands or All for One Régime Diabolique (Musketeer Roleplaying with demons ;-)) rather than all those D&D variants, and here especially the ruleset has been extended with great functionality. In my experience the other candidates only look pretty at first glance, but pale once you have looked under the hood. Fantasy Grounds is excellent!

Orange Mage

Explorer

This is an amazing piece of software that lets you play tabletop RPGs online with your friends, or with other players you meet online (who will become your friends). It's a beautifully-crafted piece of work that is updated frequently by the very responsive and helpful developers. The online community of users is also one of the friendliest I've ever come across. You can roll 3D dice on the tabletop, and apply the results automatically to see the outcome. Each player has their own character sheet, and an associated token that they can move around maps that the GM shares. There's a chat window for both in-character and out-of-character communication, and reference material for popular OGL games (such as Pathfinder and D&D 3.5E) is included. Many other game systems can be downloaded for free or bought. If you want to play tabletop RPGs with other people across the world, buy Fantasy Grounds - you won't be disappointed!

Last edited:

wemo

First Post

Thought about buying it a vouple of years ago - finally took the plunge and have been playing online ever since.

Mirloc

First Post

I've been using the tool for many years both for in person games and online games. The community is thriving and alive with old hands helping freely providing information that's relevant and very helpful.Truly you cannot go wrong with Fantasy Grounds.

nebulusuk

Villager

I have played RPGs since AD&D was released and played regularly (continuously) for many, many years. When I moved abroad and did not find a gaming group, I desperately searched for ways to keep gaming, trying anything I could find.I tried GRIP, I tried IRC, I tried playing by mail but it was just not right.I looked at d20 Pro but many games I play are not d20 based. I looked at Fantasy Grounds but was put off by the price...When Roll20 came along, I thought the problem was solved and it might have been but luckily, I saw FG get greenlighted on Steam, read some reviews, watched some videos and took the plunge.Wow! What a difference! I am sooooo glad that I gave it a try and thinking about it, the license fee was much less than I spend in a year on books for just one of the many games that I didn't get to play!The level of support for the different game systems and the inclusion of rule books and reference material means a playing becomes much easier and absorbing.Another great surprise was the community. They are so friendly and welcoming that I was quickly adopted into two different groups and really feel part of something. The only problem now is how to say no to the offers of games so that I don't end up playing 24x7!

alfarobl

Explorer

It is really good, best experience with vtt, only missing piece would be a 5e License... but that is not their fault.

JohnD

First Post

I've played (DMed actually) D&D and other systems since the late 1970s. I started using FG a little over three years ago; the time commitments of creating content for NWN and NWN2 became just to much to handle. Without FG I'd have lost out on the hobby that I've had for most of my life. FG is the Cadillac of VTTs. You get what you pay for. Take the plunge you will be extremely happy. I currently run 3.5e and Castles & Crusades campaigns weekly, and have run RoleMaster in the past as well via FG; RM in particular is a breeze using this program. I bought the Ultimate license and game for ~4 hours/week on average, so my current "cost" for picking FG over a "free" VTT is roughly $0.24/hour of actual in-game time spent as a DM... even less if you count the hours of entertainment spent as a player, or the time enjoying creating adventure content.

OTG_Wraith

First Post

This product has it all. The best appearance, the best rules support, the best payment options from one time one payment for all, to a monthly subscription for just what you use. It's stand alone, meaning no need to load it in a web browser, and the rules it includes do all the work for you which means faster combats and more time role-playing. This product sets the bar for Virtual Tabletop play. Don't settle for less.

See for yourself in our complete play through of The Lost Mine of Phandelver... (spoilers and language)

[video=youtube;4YyGfv-oa1M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YyGfv-oa1M&list=PLBW-SmHnjnPE4At_n9a0lrpbOLg1K-F4t[/video]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases