Roll20

TRDG

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for Roll20

This brought me back to the RPG scene, compared to just running Play by post games in forums. Currently on Roll20 I am running PF's Rise of the Runelords Campaign, Dungeon Command, Pathfinder Runelords card game, Flames of War (WW II miniature tabletop game) and a few others, as well as playing in some RPG's (including D&D 5th Ed). Roll20 is updating all the time with good things, base (free) account can get you going with most RPG games as a GM/DM as well as a player. One can run almost anything and there are a huge number of potential players there pretty much 24/7 every day and night (and more than a few GM/DM's)!! It is almost like playing an RPG face to face, no kidding, one tip though is to use either Skype or Google Hangouts (for voice) as there are still some small problems for some with Roll20's voice app. There are also specific PC sheets one can pop in your game for most common game systems. It takes a little while to get familiar with their system but once on board, you can do almost anything there one can do in face to face games quite quickly and simply.There are paid options, more space for map/tokem library, developer forum access and get to try out up and coming changes and updates. You also get to use dynamic lighting which is much better than the base "fog of War" to do our "GM stuff" on maps. Much more but feel free to PM me as needed here at the big EN here for further Q & A.Cheers, can't recommend this enough peopleTom

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
4 out of 5 rating for Roll20

Tthey do not accept Pay Pal for subscribing, but there is a perfectly logical reasons for it. So I am unable to use cool features like making every PC only see what they can see with their own darkvision. Even if you are not much into scripting (like me) and mainly need a table and maybe a turn tracker (like me most of the time) it helps you out a lot. The fog of war function is easy to use, too, and you can add more than one GM to your campaign as well. It also allows for card sets and board game play, and the basic use is free. My only real woe is the totally impractical, confusing image library. I would give this a 4.5 star if I could, but as this is really a big problem to me and others, as well as the impossibility of sharing a library with a co-GM, I rather grade it down to 4.

Psyga315

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for Roll20

I use this tool when playing out my solo RPGs, and I absolutely love it. You can even have custom character sheets that make running your game easier. However, there's a catch. First off, the community is just getting started on making the sheets, so you might make waiting suck, especially if your game isn't as popular as say, Pathfinder or D&D.

Talysian

Explorer
2 out of 5 rating for Roll20

I've tried several VTT's out there and this one seems to be the one that I find that has the hardest prep/learning curve. The chat system is also my least favorite the box is small and not aesthetically pleasing.Pro's the ability to search art etc on the fly. Free..

Agamon

Adventurer

Many of the players in my original group have moved away and playing online is the only option to keep the band together. After trying a few different options, Roll20 came out on top. There were some hiccups in the early days, but games run really slick these days, and they continue to add more and more to it. Great VTT!

Crb31

Explorer

Roll 20 is not the same thing as sitting around that old card table you keep in the garage- but it is the closest thing I have experience in a very long time. And it provides a very refreshing experience for myself and several of the people I've met online there.I started with a free option which was great as a player, but as soon as I wanted to GM I upgraded my account to the 'Supporter' level- $4.99 a month at this time. I find this reasonable and considering the added storage space you get for the price, well worth it- worth it to the point where I am seriously considering upgrading my account to the mentor status.What it does is provide a virtual table top on the computer screen where we can roll dice, pass pictures, look at maps and most of the same things that RPGers do around a table top. We communicate to each other via SKYPE or Google HANGOUTs, but it does have its own communication interface. Another great thing is the ease at which you can either access players or access games you want to play in.Overall, just check it out.

jprepo1

Explorer

Roll20 is a remarkably simple, but quite powerful, VTT that can be used with just about any system out there. It currently sees the most use for DnD 5e, Pathfinder, and 3.5, but one can find just about any actively played RPG being run on the site.It is a browser based VTT, meaning that many of the issues associated with installation based platforms are not present, and it even has an android and iOS app for use on tablets.Overall, the interface is very clean and efficient, leaving room to focus on the game board itself. it has very powerful editing tool,s however, for paid users, allowing you to digitize the game process as much or as little as you want, leading to unparalled flexibility in VTT field.The community is enourmous, literally dwarfing that of its nearest competitor, with a very robust and active LFG section, as well as community forums. It is actively being devloped, so new updates are constantly on the horizon, as more and more cool features are being added.There are 2 levels aof paid usership, each with increasing functionaility, but even the top end $9.99 a month is very reasonably prices, and comes with a lot of useful features, such as more storage, API support, and dynamic lighting. This is recommended for DM's, but players are quite capable of using the free version to fantastic effect.The API system itself is very robust, with drag and drop API ability that makes adding scripts to the game a breeze.Roll20 has great features, a clean interface, a fantastic LFG and great community, built in art and token support, built in music, and built in voice chat.taken together, this leads Roll20 to leave d20pro, FG, and Maptools in the proverbial dust, and is the clear choice for anyone looking to use a VTT program for their games.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases