Pathfinder 1E Wondering which are the best Paizo APs?

Starfox

Hero
One more consideration: Did those rating a particular AP just read it?

Playing an AP generally takes a year or more. That's a little late to review. Currently, you can't go back to expand upon/change your reviews. That means any actual play experiences are likely to get lost.

Brandegoris

First Post
I have played through quite a few. in my Opinion ( and only for the ones I have PLAYED because I have READ all of them but haven't played all of them), the best AP's are in order:

1.) Rise of the Runelords ( the 1st and the best!)
2.) Carrion Crown ( Almost a tie with Rise of The Runelords for me! I LOVE the mood of the game!)
3.) Curse of the Crimson throne ( Also a Nice Setting a great mood, though not as good as Carrion crown in regards to mood)
4.)Reign Of winter ( Didn't love the 1st book of the six too well, But when you travel to Earth and meet Rasputin sh*t all comes together. A lot of fun!)
5.) Kingmaker: A Very solid and very nice AP. Faeries you say? yes Please! LOL Its a lot of fun and pretty well done
6.) Serpents Skull: Fun! Pirates etc.. That's the thing, but if you dig pirates and island hopping exploration then its pretty awesome
7.) Council of Thieves (Didn't like this obne much. It was hard to justify why a group would stay together and also there really wasn't much to do with THIEVERY as the name might suggest.
Also some of the Books have you sneaking into very improbable places ( Such as the Mayors mansion DURING a gathering of the Most powerful people in the city) That is where we lost the AP, had a
TPK and just quit. It was poorly set up and silly)

I haven't played any of the other paths though.

Last edited:

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
The GREAT, must-play Adventure Paths were, in my opinion:

1) AGE OF WORMS
2) SAVAGE TIDE

3) Reign of Winter
4) Curse of the Crimson Throne
5) Kingmaker
6) Strange Aeons
7) Skulls & Shackles
8) Shattered Star

As a GM, I've run Curse of the Crimson Throne (back in 3.5), Second Darkness (converting from 3.5 to PF) and Skull & Shackles. All are excellent, though some people have certain problems with the middle of CotCT and others don't like the initial set up for Second Darkness. A good GM should be able to adapt as needed.
If I can be forgiven for quoting you three years later ...

I love adapting adventure paths as needed, and I'm currently having a lot of fun running Second Darkness (just finished the second part).

However, my high opinion of Second Darkness isn't going to be much use to someone who buys adventure paths to run more or less "as is". Also, the "goblins as a core race" debate on Pathfinder2 has reminded me how much I loathe the initial set-up of Jade Regent - but for me that's a good thing, because it inspires me to come with an alternative start that suits me better.

I'd much prefer an adventure path with some great moments and some terrible bits to one which is consistently mediocre.

wakedown

Explorer
Paizo APs come down to the actual adventures that compromise the six, and then who wrote them.

If they tapped Richard Pett, Nick Logue or Greg Vaughan .. or James Jacobs himself penned it, odds are it'll be great, especially if it was a work they were passionate about.

DocShoveller

First Post
Playing an AP generally takes a year or more. That's a little late to review. Currently, you can't go back to expand upon/change your reviews. That means any actual play experiences are likely to get lost.
For reference, I've only reviewed APs that I've played or run.

Starfox

Hero
Meh. Its nice, but i have to take it with alot of salt. Giantslayer ranked higher then Kingmaker? Dont see it

Kingmaker is a sandbox. People have strong opinions on sandboxes - good and bad. That will result in a mediocre average rating. The best-rated item in any ranking is not the one some people love, but the one most people like.

Jharet

Explorer
Out of the Adventure Paths that I've played, I'd say Iron Gods, Kingmaker and Curse of the Crimson Throne are the best.

Out of the Adventure Paths that I've run, I'd say Ironfang Invasion and Rise of the Runelords and Shattered Star are great.

Remove ads