Slaying a vampire...

RigaMortus

Explorer
It states in the MM that "Driving a stake through a vampire's heart instantly slays the monster." but it does not give any game mechanic as how to accomplish this. Since there are no called shots, how does one attempt this feat? Only on the roll of a nat 20? Can they only be staked if they are asleep in their coffins? Are there any further rules that explain this better?

DM_Matt

First Post
This is the domain of house rules...I use....

1. Damage with a stake or other wooden weapon that can be wielded in a piercing manner that would bring the vampire below 0 hp is considered a staking.

2. Grapple and pin the vampire or somehow render it helpless, then stake it. The staking otherwise functions as a CDG, except that it applies to pinned targets, too

Oni

First Post
I would think that you could only do this when you would be able to perform a coup de grace. Such as a hold undead spell or when they are in their coffin during the day.

Caliber

Explorer
My house rule is incidently the d20 Modern rule (or so someone told me)

Any critical hit (ignoring the fact that undead are immune) with a piercing wooden weapon is considered through the heart.

Defintely makes archers pretty nasty against vampires.

hong

WotC's bitch
RigaMortus said:
No staking unless they are helpless? I think Buffy might have something to say about that :)

Yes, but vampires in Buffy generally have two hit points and explode if you so much as say rude things to them.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
hong said:

Yes, but vampires in Buffy generally have two hit points and explode if you so much as say rude things to them.

Yea, those are wimps. Even the most effiminate Toreador laughs about them! (In fact, I always try to convince my Vampire Storyteller that he brings Buffy into our game, for my Toreador Gigolo to play with. Some enchantments on her, and we see who does the staking ;) :D )

Remove ads