Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle

Rhenny

Adventurer
4 out of 5 rating for Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle

I am currently running a campaign using Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle updated for 5e. I like it. There is a lot to work with although the actual adventure is pretty linear. It is easy enough to add in some outside encounters or side treks to make it more like a dynamic world thought. I'm also finding (at least through the 3rd part of the adventure) that keeping PCs 1 level below what is suggested (i.e., run them at 5th level instead of at 6th) is more to our liking.

Spoiler: One thing I don't like and would change if I ran it again is the whole idea of the crossbreading of Orcs and Dwarves. I'd just make the orcs and half-orcs allies to the Red Wizards and the Dwarves more neutral, basically dominated/cowed by the others.

Last edited:

bjmorga

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle

My group played through this during the playtest phase of 5e (D&D Next). We played this adventure weekly for nearly a year. In fact, we kind of rushed the ending of this adventure just so we could start fresh with Tyranny of the Dragons. The module is split up into four distinct adventures each offering enough side quests and starters for adventures that any group can run with and flesh out. The cards can appear to be stacked against the adventurers, but a savvy DM can navigate this railroad tracks with ease. The price can seem pretty steep for a pdf adventure where essentially two-thirds of the book are playtest rules that were even outdated at the time of its release. However, groups can get a ton of mileage out of this adventure.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter

Enjoyed this book as I was beginning my delve into all things 5e. I'm really impressed with the quality of the products for D&D next / 5e. Needless to say, WoTC has me back in their camp after I left during the 4e that I didn't enjoy and didn't play.

Greyson

Explorer

My group of players and I loved Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle. It's a compelling adventure with great theme and story. Daggerford makes for a great home base for players. The adventure presents myriad challenges and unique creatures to face-off against PCs, from Red Wizards, to green dragons. As a DM, I loke how the adventure explores many locales in the Daggerford area. It sets a great ground work for further adventures like Scourge of the Sword Coast and Dead in Thay. Excellent adventure.

Remove ads