Rogue/Wizard or Rogue/Sorceror

JohnClark

First Post
I'm starting in a 1st level Forgotten Realms campaign soon, and I've decided to play a gnome rogue spellcaster, with the idea being he uses illusions and such to enhance his rogue abilities. My question is two fold: Is wizard or sorceror a better choice, and what sort of ratio is good, 1:1, more rogue or more spellcaster? Any personal experience with this class would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
So do you want to be a sneaky spellcaster, or a rogue with some arcane abilities? It sounds like the latter. If you're going to be a Gnome Rogue/Illusionist, you'll have to be a Wizard -- Gnomes have as their Favored Class Illusionist.

However, if what you want is a sneaky Rogue with some mild spellcasting abilities, why not go for a Bard with perhaps 2-3 levels of Rogue? You'll get a great class skill list, access to many great spells and some unique Bardic features.

IMHO, a Halfling Rogue2/BardX would be loads of fun.

-- Nifft

Taluron

If you've chosen Gnome for sure as you're race you'll be better off with wizard/Illusionist sinceit'sthe Gnome's favored class.

Forrester

First Post
It all depends on what *you* want to do with the character. Do you feel more like a rogue, or more like a spellcaster?

Also, are you going for Arcane Trickster? The requirements are specific enough that your path is pretty much laid out for you in a lot of ways.

Only experience I have playing something like that is the one time I played a RogueX/Sorcerer1. Quarter-kobold, of course. The Sorcerer part was there for Change Self and the occasional Silent Ghost Sound. Fun!

I think that in general, unless you're using the Monte Cook sorcerer (which has some good bennies), if you plan on having more than one spellcasting level you want to go wizard. Sorcerers get their next-highest spell one level later. That's bad in general, and for a long-term multiclass character, it's even worse.

Assuming you don't want to go Arcane Trickster, but want more than one level of spellcaster, I'd go Rogue/Wizard. Won't be powergamey, but could be fun. Your attack bonus is going to suck, though :).

JohnClark

First Post
Taluron said:
If you've chosen Gnome for sure as you're race you'll be better off with wizard/Illusionist sinceit'sthe Gnome's favored class.

True. The reason I chose gnome was because I also want him to be a gunsmith :) and in the FRCS gnome's start with a gun as part of their regional equipment (so do people from Lantan I believe). I may look at the bard idea, that's not a bad one at all.

JohnClark

First Post
Forrester said:
It all depends on what *you* want to do with the character. Do you feel more like a rogue, or more like a spellcaster?

Also, are you going for Arcane Trickster? The requirements are specific enough that your path is pretty much laid out for you in a lot of ways.

Only experience I have playing something like that is the one time I played a RogueX/Sorcerer1. Quarter-kobold, of course. The Sorcerer part was there for Change Self and the occasional Silent Ghost Sound. Fun!

I think that in general, unless you're using the Monte Cook sorcerer (which has some good bennies), if you plan on having more than one spellcasting level you want to go wizard. Sorcerers get their next-highest spell one level later. That's bad in general, and for a long-term multiclass character, it's even worse.

Assuming you don't want to go Arcane Trickster, but want more than one level of spellcaster, I'd go Rogue/Wizard. Won't be powergamey, but could be fun. Your attack bonus is going to suck, though :).

Defenitely don't want arcane trickster, I don't know what it is but I've never really liked that class. I think the wizard over sorceror thing is a good point, especially like you said with multi-classing, also their is going to be a full wizard in the part so I can use it as a roleplaying thing to learn from him. And how needs an attack bonus when you've got a gun! :D

kengar

First Post
I ran a Rogue/Illusionist in the last campaign I played in. It was a kobold though since it was a homebrew world with no Sorcerers and no Gnomes. It's loads of fun and requires more cleverness since your spells tend toward misdirection and less towards combat.

Though being a rogue who can cast Invisibility doesn't stink in the Sneak Attack department! ;)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Wizard gives a good INT synergy with your skill selection.

Sorcerer is best if you just want 1 level of arcane caster to supplment being a rogue for the rest of the way. If you are going to take several levels of the arcane class, definitely go wizard... the slower sorcerer spell level progression will really hurt you

(I speak from experience - my pal2/sor4 was a 6th level character who had *only just* got his first 2nd level spell...)

Remove ads