Rokugan D20: The Winds of Blood (Chapter 1)

Tokiwong

First Post
The Winds Assemble in the East

The Hour of the Hare, the 15th day of the Hare in the year 1152 IC

Shiro Hanzo, on the southeastern coast of the Crab Lands, home to the Province Daimyo Hiruma Akio

The Courtyard

The sun had just slid into the sky, and the night was banished, but that was not the concern of Kaiu Takane, more immediate to his mind was the drilling of Gunso-Sensei Basho, the harsh taskmaster in charge.

Gunso-Sensei Basho was not a large figure by Crab standards, he stood not much taller then most Rokugani but had thick shoulders and stern face, that always wore a permanent scowl, the man never seemed happy. He prowled up and down the line, and made sure that the young Crab bushi were properly disciplined for poor show of skill, or a lack of proper motivation. His favorite form of motivation was a stern slap from his bamboo bokken. Which at the current moment he held firmly in his hand, many bushi and ashigaru had already sting of motivation.

Further down the line, Kaiu Kyuzo was relaxing form the sting of Gunso-Sensei Basho’s instructions. A gentle reminder that his form was sloppy, and that any proper Crab would be ashamed to see the display that these given soldiers were showing. But thankfully the end of the morning training as drawing to a close, and the usual berating by Gunso-Sensei Basho began, though it was not as venomous or as hateful as it usually sounded.

Gunso-Sensei Basho dismissed the gathered bushi and ashigaru and barked out two names in his gruff voice, “Kyuzo-san, Takane-san, get cleaned up you two, and meet me in one hour’s time, here, and be quick, do not be late!”

Gunso Sensei-Basho
kage4.jpg

The Temple

The soft sound of breathing was all that Kaiji could make out in the candlelit darkness of the inner chamber of the temple. His sensei, Iuchi Gemmei, though not related by blood, had been in meditation for nearly two days now. The incense that filled the room was intoxicatingly sweet, and the shrine of the Unicorn ancestors sat at the focus of the room.

Gemmei spoke without turning, Kaiji was her student after all, “Kaiji-san, I am pleased that you could tear yourself away from your studies, you show great promise, you know,” she paused before continuing a slight breath to gain her composure, “Hiruma-sama has made a request of me, he wishes for you to accompany some his bushi to the west, there is trouble with a village. Their tribute has not come this month, and neither has the tax collector. He believes it is a simple matter of bandits, or even a minor peasant revolt. Nonetheless, the bushi may need your spiritual guidance, as will the people. I have faith that the Kami will see your path through.”

She finally stood and turned, “You are my first student, and I am honored to have one as talented as you, I know you shall not fail me.”

Iuchi Gemmei
attachment.php

The Audience Chamber

Both Toritaka Fan and Tsuruchi Michiba sat in the small chamber, both visitors to the small Province of Strong Winds. The young Toritaka a monk hailing from his ancestral lands, he had been sent to Hiruma-sama as a repayment of debt by his respective family. While Michiba was a distant cousin to Hiruma-sama, and his own family had hoped that the young Wasp samurai would gain glory in the service of an experienced Crab samurai. Perhaps even spend time on the Kaiu Wall defending Rokugan from the onslaught of the oni hordes.

Though at the moment they were in the presence of the hatamoto, Yasuki Tenchi as he reviewed their travel papers and the respective letters from their families. Along with the considerable gifts sent to prove their good faith in Hiruma-sama. The hatamoto looked up from his reading, “Welcome to both of you, Lord Hiruma-sama extends his welcome to both of you, and I as well welcome you. I have decided to place you in the service of Gunso-Sensei Basho, he should be along shortly, he will see to all your needs,” he stands and bows, “please remain here till he arrives.”

Yasuki Tenchi leaves, servants gathering the gifts up, and leaving the two visitors to their own devices. Tea is served for the two, by young servants, as they wait for the arrival of Gunso-Sensei Basho.

Yasuki Tenchi
sam1_10.jpg

The game begins, have fun, and lets rock and roll.

Last edited:

Douane

First Post
Silently chiding himself for his temporary lack of concentration, Kyuzo kept wondering at the unusual summons. The one possible reason for this interruption of the usual daily routine that immediately came to his mind was another incursion from the Shadowlands, however, the Crab Clan would never act so timidly and react with less than its full might.

So there had to be another reason, but what?

Kyuzo hastened to his quarters to change his outfit, remembering well that Gunso-Sensei Basho considered punctuality the eighth virtue of Bushido.

GWolf

First Post
Fan sat in his chair calmy, and quietly. The man to come was Gunso Sensei-Basho, and no matter how deadly thay say that man is, he is just a man.

While thinking of his, Fan looks around trying to get as much info abotu his surroundings as possible.

Tokiwong

First Post
GWolf said:
Fan sat in his chair calmy, and quietly. The man to come was Gunso Sensei-Basho, and no matter how deadly thay say that man is, he is just a man.

While thinking of his, Fan looks around trying to get as much info abotu his surroundings as possible.

The room is of a spartan nature, not much for shoy effects but purely functional. Lord Hiruma-sama does not flaunt his wealth, the walls have large wall-scrolls of the rolling countryside of the Crab, and a peculiar depiction of a battle taking place in the vicinity of the Kaiu Wall, there look to be hundreds of samurai drawn, with an equal if not larger number of shadowlands denizens in the large wall-spanning scroll.

The tea is bitter, and not sweet, and a cask of sake sits beside it for more discerning guests, particularly Crab bushi. Outside there is the sound of gulls flying overhead, and the constant sounds of the sea rise up from the distance, bringing the salty smell of brine on the air. If one were to listen closely they could hear, the sounds of the bonge working in the rice paddies, and tending to the fields.

Tokiwong

First Post
Douane said:
Silently chiding himself for his temporary lack of concentration, Kyuzo kept wondering at the unusual summons. The one possible reason for this interruption of the usual daily routine that immediately came to his mind was another incursion from the Shadowlands, however, the Crab Clan would never act so timidly and react with less than its full might.

So there had to be another reason, but what?

Kyuzo hastened to his quarters to change his outfit, remembering well that Gunso-Sensei Basho considered punctuality the eighth virtue of Bushido.

As Kyozo finished getting himself dressed, he heard the door to his quarters open and the familiar voice of Tadashi, a very Crab bushi from the Hida family speak, "Oy Kyozo-san, the day is fresh, friend, why you hurrying for? Must have known ol Tadashi-sama was coming eh?! Heard about a new giesha house Kyozo-san, very pretty ladies!"

Tadashi smiles, quite satisfied with himself.

Hida Tadashi
owl12.jpg

Last edited:

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Michiba smiled as he watched the young monk next to him glance nervously about the room. He was in the same boat as the young man, sent to repay a debit of honor by serving the Crab. Oh and they would learn from their hosts as well. To know your ally or your enemy is the key to victory, and a year or so fighting by the side of the Crab on the Wall would be glorious indeed. I must get this young man's mind off of the situation thought Michiba.
"I didn't think the Crab even drank tea and if this is a sample. I can see why." Michiba said to the young man. "I am Tsuruchi Michiba of the Wasp Clan." with a short bow.

Tsuruchi Michiba
leg_dev5.jpg

Last edited:

Douane

First Post
Shaking his head and smiling inwardly, Kyuzo turns around and adresses his fellow samurai:
"Oh, Tadashi-san, you should really know how to pronounce my name by now. It's Kyuzo, not Kyozo.
I advise you once again to be more dilligent in your speech, otherwise some day someone will take offense."

Sighing, he adds: "Also, you do know that my need for entertainment is small. While I do not begrudge you the time spent in such establishments, I believe spending the same time in meditation would prove to be far more beneficial to your eventual enlightenment."

"As to your question, whether you will believe it or not, Gunso-Sensei Basho has ordered Kaiu Takane and me to meet him in the courtyard, a quite uncommon occurence.
You haven't heard of a possible reason for this in your pursuit of entertainment, do you? Such talk usually travels fast."

Tokiwong

First Post
Douane said:
"As to your question, whether you will believe it or not, Gunso-Sensei Basho has ordered Kaiu Takane and me to meet him in the courtyard, a quite uncommon occurence.
You haven't heard of a possible reason for this in your pursuit of entertainment, do you? Such talk usually travels fast."

"Oy Kyozo, your so touchy, always meditating, acting more like a Dragon, then a proper Crab!" Tadashi smirked.

"I can see all that holing up you do, as wadded yer ears, word is Hiruma-sama has two visitors, a Mantis bushi and some Toritaka monk, though I don't know much about what could be going on."

Tadashi sighs, "You worry me Kyozo-san, you sure you don't need to take a visit to the geisha house? Great new place!"

Lichtenhart

First Post
Kaiji bows respectfully bows to her beatiful sensei, smiling "I thank you for the trust you show in me, sensei. I promise I won't fail you. Am I supposed to Hiruma-sama or his bushi are already waiting for me?"

Iuchi Kaiji
tiger13.jpg

Tokiwong

First Post
Lichtenhart said:
Kaiji bows respectfully bows to her beatiful sensei, smiling "I thank you for the trust you show in me, sensei. I promise I won't fail you. Am I supposed to Hiruma-sama or his bushi are already waiting for me?"

Gemmei smiles, "They are being assembled, it will not be a large group, but you will have your hands full, I assure you. Crab bushi like the Moto have a tendency to run into touble."

She places a hand on his shoulder, "You will do well."

Last edited:

Remove ads