Final Fantasy Basic (Recruiting)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
A great darkness shrouded the world. The wind died. The sea raged. The earth began to decay. Only a prophecy kept hope alive in people's hearts.

"When a darkness veils the world, four warriors of light shall come."

And after journeying far, four young warriors did at last appear. In the hands of each, a mysterious crystal.

This will be an experiment in running a campaign based on the original Final Fantasy video game, using the Rules Cyclopedia version of D&D. Player characters will take on the roles of the Warriors of Light, prophecied to save the world from Chaos. We will be using Final Fantasy as the basis for the plot and general structure of the game, but also using elements from RC D&D as well, such as intertwining the elements with the Spheres of Power. More on that later.

I'd like to have at least four players to take on each of the four "Warrior of Light" roles - Air (Thief), Earth (Fighter), Fire (Magic-User), and Water (Cleric). Any characters after that can double up on one of the classic four classes or play an elf, dwarf, halfling, or mystic.

If you aren't familiar with the BECMI/RC version of D&D, don't sweat it. Character creation is a snap and I will guide you through it. For those who are familiar with it...

Roll 4d6, drop the lowest for ability scores and arrange as desired.
Max HP at 1st level.
We will be using Weapon Mastery optional rules, but not General Skills.
All characters get 120 gold pieces with which to buy armor, weapons, and gear. Potions of Healing and Antidote (3 HD or less) can be purchased for 50 gp each.

There are some house rules in effect but we can go over those later.

I update my PbPs once a week and this one, if there's enough interest to get it started, will update on Sundays. Let me know if you have any questions.

Pregenerated Characters

[sblock=Cleric]

You and three others awoke on a beach one afternoon with no memories, though you know your name and that you are a Cleric of Light, the ancient religion of the Sky People. You have an affinity for Elemental Water and the Time Sphere of Power and you carry a darkened crystal with a greenish-blue coloring to it.

Class: Cleric
Level: 1
Element: Water
Sphere: Time
Alignment: Neutral

XP: 0 (+10% bonus)
XP for next level: 1500

Str: 14 (+1)
Int: 12 (+0)
Wis: 16 (+2)
Dex: 10 (+0)
Con: 15 (+1)
Cha: 13 (+1)

HP: 7
AC: 2

War Hammer - +1 to hit, 1d6+1 damage
Sling + 30 pellets - +0 to hit, 1d4 damage, range: 40 (+1 to hit)/80 (no adjustment to hit)/160 (-1 to hit)

Saves

Death Ray/Poison: 11
Magic Wands: 12
Paralysis/Turn to Stone: 14
Dragon Breath: 16
Rod/Staff/Spell: 15

Turning Undead

Roll 2d6 to determine success then roll 2d6 to determine number of hit dice of undead affected.

Skeleton: 7
Zombie: 9
Ghoul: 11

Spells

Gained at 2nd level.

Equipment

Warhammer
Sling + 30 pellets
Plate Armor
Shield
Holy Symbol
17 Gold Pieces

Weapon Mastery

War Hammer - Basic
Sling - Basic[/sblock]

[sblock=Fighter]

You and three others awoke on a beach one afternoon with no memories, though you know your name and that you are a capable warrior. You have an affinity for Elemental Earth and the Matter Sphere of Power and you carry a darkened crystal with a brownish coloring to it.

Class: Fighter
Element: Earth
Sphere: Matter
Alignment: Lawful

XP for next level: 2000

Str: 16 (+2)
Int: 10 (+0)
Wis: 12 (+0)
Dex: 14 (+1)
Cha: 13 (+1)

HP: 9
AC: 3

Normal Sword - +2 to hit, 1d8+2 damage
Long Bow + 20 Arrows - +1 to hit, 1d6 damage, range: 70 (+1 to hit)/140 (no adjustment to hit)/210 (-1 to hit)
Dagger - +2 to hit (+1 to hit when thrown), 1d4+2 damage, range: 10 (+1 to hit)/20 (no adjustment to hit)/30 (-1 to hit)
Spear - +2 to hit (+1 to hit when thrown), 1d6+2 damage, range: 20 (+1 to hit)/40 (no adjustment to hit)/60 (-1 to hit)

Saves

Death Ray/Poison: 12
Magic Wands: 13
Paralysis/Turn to Stone: 14
Dragon Breath: 15
Rod/Staff/Spell: 16

Combat Options

Lance Attack - Double damage dice with a lance when attacking from a charging mount (mount must move at least 20 yards.

Set Spear vs. Charge - Double damage dice with a spear, pike, sword shield, or lance vs. a charging opponent (opponent must move at least 20 yards before reaching the character). Spear attack interrupts opponent's attack and prevents it if the opponent is killed. Set Spear vs. Charge may only be used when the character has initiative and usually only in the first round of combat.

(More combat options are gained at 9th level.)

Equipment

Normal Sword
Long Bow + 20 Arrows
Dagger
Spear
Chain Mail
Shield
9 Gold Pieces

Weapon Mastery

Normal Sword - Basic
Long Bow - Basic
Dagger - Basic
Spear - Basic[/sblock]

[sblock=Magic-User]

You and three others awoke on a beach one afternoon with no memories, though you know your name and that you are a capable wizard. You have an affinity for Elemental Fire and the Energy Sphere of Power and you carry a darkened crystal with a reddish coloring to it.

Class: Magic-User
Element: Fire
Sphere: Energy
Alignment: Chaotic

XP for next level: 2500

Str: 10 (+0)
Int: 16 (+2)
Wis: 14 (+1)
Dex: 13 (+1)
Cha: 12 (+0)

HP: 5
AC: 8

Dagger - +0 to hit (+1 to hit when thrown), 1d4 damage, range: 10 (+1 to hit)/20 (no adjustment to hit)/30 (-1 to hit)
Staff - +0 to hit, 1d6 damage

Saves

Death Ray/Poison: 13
Magic Wands: 14
Paralysis/Turn to Stone: 13

Spells

You can memorize and cast one 1st level spell per day. You will gain more spells per level as you advance.

1st Level Spells Memorized: Sleep

Spellbook

Your spellbook contains all of the spells you know and may be added to anytime you acquire a new spell by finding a scroll or spellbook in an adventure, or by studying at an arcane library available in most towns.

1st Level Spells: Read Magic, Sleep

Equipment

Dagger
Staff
Spellbook
112 Gold Pieces

Weapon Mastery

Dagger - Basic
Staff - Basic[/sblock]

[sblock=Thief]

You and three others awoke on a beach one afternoon with no memories, though you know your name and that you are a skilled thief. You have an affinity for Elemental Air and the Thought Sphere of Power and you carry a darkened crystal with a whitish blue coloring to it.

Class: Thief
Element: Air
Sphere: Thought
Alignment: Neutral

XP for next level: 1200

Str: 14 (+1)
Int: 12 (+0)
Wis: 10 (+0)
Dex: 16 (+2)
Con: 13 (+1)
Cha: 15 (+1)

HP:5
AC: 5

Normal Sword - +1 to hit, 1d8+1 damage
Long Bow +20 Arrows +2 to hit, 1d6 damage, range: 70 (+1 to hit)/140 (no adjustment to hit)/210 (-1 to hit)

Saves

Death Ray/Poison: 13
Magic Wands: 14
Paralysis/Turn to Stone: 13

Thief Abilities

Open Locks: 15%
Find Traps: 10%
Remove Traps: 10%
Climb Walls: 87%
Move Silently: 20%
Hide in Shadows: 10%
Pick Pockets: 20%
Hear Noise: 30%

Back Stab: If the thief is undetected, a special backstab attack may be performed with a +4 to hit and double damage dice.

Equipment

Normal Sword
Long Bow + 20 Arrows
Leather Armor
Thieves' Tools
20 Gold Pieces

Weapon Mastery

Normal Sword - Basic
Long Bow - Basic[/sblock]

Last edited:

Imperialus

Explorer
I'd be interested for sure. Fighter would probably be my first choice, although I'd also be interested in playing a Mystic reskinned as the Black Belt.

Last edited:

Imperialus

Explorer
Oh, I'm also very well acquainted with BECMI (or at least B/X which is close enough for horseshoes). The B/X game I've been playing in has been going on for over 6 years now.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Good deal. :) I have a small list of house rules, mostly additional material to help flesh out characters at later levels (+1 ability score every 6th level, or +2 to a Prime Requisite, max 18 as well as additional options at 9th level for all classes).

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I'm in. BECMI is my favorite version of DnD. I also love the weapon mastery rules.

I rolled:
Str: 13
Int: 13
Wis: 15
Dex: 13
Con: 11
Cha: 12

Looks like a Cleric to me.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
But I'm fine with the cleric. Since no one else except for Imperialus was sure what they wanted to play, I figured I'd let the dice fall where they will. Besides, the limitations of a 1st level cleric in BECMI might be confusing for others not used to the system. I like how this Final Fantasy system of yours matches perfectly with the Immortal set spheres later on. Although we won't be ever playing that high a campaign...

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Realizing that PbP takes a looooooooooooooong time, I do have a campaign outline planned out that takes characters all the way to level 36 by the time you face the big bad.

If you mean attaining immortality, well...not this game. I would like to explore those rules some day with a full mega-campaign (Level 1 mortal to level 36 immortal hierarch) but I don't think PbP is the best way to do that, precisely because it takes so looooooooooooooooong.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
People may be frightened off because they are intimidated about a system they do not know. Do you think you would have more volunteers if you offered several pre-made character options for people to play?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases