D&D 5E Hoard of the Dragon Queen - Chapter 1

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Mirtul 4, DR 1373, Evening

After a filling lunch of rabbit and vegetable stew, augmented by just a touch of magic, you continue on your way to Greenest. The journey is uneventful apart from the occasional bickering of the two gnomes, at least until James falls asleep after an hour or so of travelling.

The sun is just beginning to set as you emerge from the woods, and in the distance you see a moderate sized settlement - and a moment later, you all see the smoke rising from several of the buildings. Jenna seems concerned, and goads their pony into a faster trot, eager to arrive in Greenest and see what the commotion is. James remains fast asleep.

A few minutes pass, and you reach the outskirts of the town of Greenest. The buildings on the edge of the settlement seem to have been abandoned in a hurry - doors left open, windows swinging in the breeze. You can spot smoke and the occasional lick of flame from the buildings towards the centre of the town. In the distance you can see a large keep or castle of some sort, with a single large tower.

Jenna stops the wagon abruptly, gives James a hard prod in the side, and then points her finger to the right. Following Jenna's finger, you see a large upright stone - 'Greenest' has been carved into it, written in the common tongue. Rolen and Erevan immediately recognise this scene from their dreams, but with one major difference - in your dreams, the sign for Greenest wasn't slaked with blood from the corpse that lay slumped in front of it.

James dismounts the wagon, and cautiously prods the body with a short stick. It looks like a human farmer or other commoner, simply dressed. A few flies buzz around the body but the kill seems to be recent. Very recent.

"Well... this looks bad..." says James.

mips42

Adventurer
Such an odd feeling. I thought I knew how I'd feel, seeing Greenest in the flesh after all the visions but this is nothing like what I thought it'd be.
'Finally. I'm glad to finally be here.'

industrygothica

Adventurer
"What happened here?" Renestrae asks no one in particular. She hops out of the wagon and tries to get a better view of the scene, including a cursory inspection of the body and surrounding area.

OOC: Perception +6. You'll have to do the rolling, IC is down at the moment.

Brother Dave

First Post
Rolen gasps in recognition at the sight of the sign. I...I saw this...but not like this...not exactly. What is happening here?

He also hops down from the cart and moves over to the sign - and the corpse - to get a closer look, then turns and looks towards the burning town. "W..we...I...have to go there...find out what is going on...I do not know what we can do...but...maybe we can...can help?" He shakes his head. "I do not know. But whatever is happening here is...important. A..and there are p..people dying."

epicbob

Explorer
Robert Weaving

"Well, that escalated quickly..." As he looks towards the tower, he asks : "I wonder if the people responsible are in there?"

Li Shenron

Legend
Miri goes investigating the corpse to get an insight on the time of death, and perhaps what kind of weapon caused the farmer's death.

[If necessary: Medicine +4]

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Miri and Rolen move closer to investigate the corpse. The body was slain maybe a few hours ago at most - blood is still oozing from a sizeable wound to the back of the head where the skull has been partially caved in.. There are also several shallow wounds on the body's back and legs.

Miri - if you had to guess, you'd say that perhaps the unfortunate victim was mobbed by several enemies with blades, attempted to flee, but was brought down by a crushing blow to the head. The blood on the town sign makes you think maybe the corpse was propped up against it after death, and has slowly slid down the stone.

Your attention is diverted form the gruesome scene as you hear voices from the town.

"Run! Don't worry about me - just go!"
cries a female voice.

You see an exhausted human staggering towards you, stumbling and holding his side with one arm. Two small children are close behind, fleeing with a look of terror in their eyes. Behind them, a woman is holding a spear and rough wooden shield, facing towards the town.

"Come on then... come and get me!"
she screams, but there's a definite note of fear in her voice. Her defiant call is answered by a series of harsh barks, yaps and shrieks as six diminutive scaled creatures emerge from behind a building and charge at her - kobolds!

Roll for initiative everyone!

mips42

Adventurer
'Kobolds! Separate them or they'll swarm you under!'
OOC: Invisible Castle seems to be down so I used https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm. It doesn't have a copy to link feature. If you'd rather roll on your own, go ahead but, there, it was:
Roll(1d20)+3:
15,+3
Total:18
If someone finds a better option, let me know.

Remove ads