Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster’s Forgotten Realms

Product information... View for more details

Neuroglyph

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster’s Forgotten Realms

Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster’s Forgotten Realms is an absolute delight for fantasy fans, whether you enjoyed the novels generated from this world, or had experienced it as a setting for fantasy role-playing games! For fans and scholars of Realmslore, this book represents a massive unveiling of information about the Forgotten Realms Setting which adds depth and detail to almost every facet of that world. The content in this book is completely edition neutral, and is, in fact, game neutral as well, which means it can be used and enjoyed by the fantasy gaming community at large regardless of which role-playing game they choose to play. The choice to include actual pages of notes from Ed Greenwood’s extensive files on Faerûn was an inspired one, and adds great insight into the mind and heart of one of the great fantasy authors of our time. So whether you are Player or a Dungeon Master, Elminster’s Forgotten Realms has something to offer you which is certain to enhance your gaming experience now and for years to come!

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter

"Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster’s Forgotten Realms" (EGP:EFR) is one part history book, one part introduction and one part update. It reveals something of the early design work on the first iteration of the Forgotten Realms as published by TSR, and it attempts to weave together the modern, post-Spellplague era of the Realms with the pre-Spellplague version so many fans are familiar with. There are no game stats, but plenty of nuts and bolts world information that serves a a suitable introduction to those not familiar with the Realms, as well as answers to questions every DM asks at some point (such as why goodly kingdoms like Cormyr tolerate the presence of [some] evil faiths). There are hooks throughout that a DM can hang adventure NPC and encounter ideas on. I've been a fan of the Realms from the start, and find this book excites my imagination like so many other Realms books before it. I reference it frequently for ideas and inspiration. That said, this book needs a follow up: preferably a book filled with dungeons that spends as many pages discussing what makes a dungeon tick as it spends in the providing of layouts and dungeon keys.

bjmorga

First Post

This edition-neutral book on the Forgotten Realms is absolutely essential for any DM or player currently adventuring in the Realms. Focusing on more of the social aspects of the Realms, this guide offers unique insights into the world that one cannot find elsewhere. As a DM, I have used several ideas from the book to enhance campaigns and create adventures. Highly recommended!

RichGreen

Adventurer

I wasn't sure what to expect when I saw this on the release schedule towards the end of the 4e era, but it's a fantastic collection of flavourful information on the Realms written by the man who knows it best. Brings the setting to life and is a joy to read.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad

Caveat emptor: Munchkins, dont buy this book, you'll be sore disappointed. This book is a compendium of what life is like in the Iconic D&D world of the Forgotten Realms. Are those postules from the Spotted Plague your henchman has contagious? Need to score some Belarris to poison your meddlesome mistress? Will 'side-dagger' sideburns ever be back in fashion? Need a bottle of Darkdew for your girlfriend's Name Day? This book has you covered. It covers what life is actually like in the Realms, the day to day, cotidian life. Waterclocks, perfumery, mongery of all sorts, tattoos to impress, mistresses to undress; herein you'll find these tidbits. Looking for new Feats for your Dragonborn Fighter-Monk-Warlock?? Then pass on this book. This book is a compendium of materials that have been gathered from the illustrous pages of Dragon magazine and new added content. You'll not find maps, adventures, stat blocks or other mechanical rules. This book is for fans of the Realms, or intrepid DM's who really want their Realms to come alive and not be a generic setting. I can only say that this book is indispensible if you plan on telling stories in the Realms, and even has side bars of how the Realms evolved from the pages (and imagination) of Ed of the Greenwood. Enjoy!!

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer

One of the things I have appreciated about FR since we first caught glimpses of it in the pages of Dragon magazine in the 1980s was that it oozed flavour. This book is very much in that vein and can really help bring the world alive.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous

A must for every Faerun fan.

Remove ads