"Realistic" alternative to Build Robot?

takyris

First Post
There's been some talk about an improved Jury Rig feature, like a ship's engineer might use to keep his ship together when flying faster than parameters indicate is possible. You could also consider some kind of improved hacking ability, like adding your Techie level to Computer Use checks if you have a minute to look over the schematics of your target.

Basically, if you base it as much as possible on existing abilities -- the Field Scientist's ability to McGyver tools or the Dedicated Hero's ability to add his class level to a check being the two examples I used -- you'll probably end up with something balanced.

You could also take it in a different direction and give the Techie something like an increasing save bonus against mechanical traps...

-Tacky

jonrog1

First Post
I replaced "Build Robot" with "THAT MAGIC TOUCH":

"THAT MAGIC TOUCH": by spending an action point, the Techie can "take 20" on one skill check for Repair, Computer Use, Disable Device (or any other technology-oriented skill they already have ranks in), but this use still only takes as much time as the standard skill check.

The Techie can use this ability once per game-day.

This represents the famous "whack it and it works" or "I need Warp Drive in two minutes or we're all dead" or "I need to get acces to those launch codes NOW" moments in action cinema and literature.

If you do that, don't use the term 'Take 20.' Take 20 means you do it over and over again. It would be clearer if you just said: "By spending an action point, the Techie can treat a technical skill check as if he had rolled a natural 20."

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Is there anything that unrealistic about build robot?? Putting together something like the book describes isn't THAT difficult... Although I would have liked some more options (where's the 'flying' locomotion ability??)

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Saeviomagy said:
Is there anything that unrealistic about build robot?? Putting together something like the book describes isn't THAT difficult... Although I would have liked some more options (where's the 'flying' locomotion ability??)

My thoughts exactly. It's got to be easier to put a helicopter rotor or even a propellor on a robot than legs. Bipedal robots are, AFAIK just about the hardest kind to make. Mostly because it has to balance. And yet a remote with a 300 foot range adds +5 to the DC and making something bipedal (which has to have a built in balancing system) is a paltry +4

I'm horrible at making up rules and I'm no robotics expert, but I would think a list from least to most difficult would look like this:

Remote 100 feet - Wheels
audio/visual sensor - Remote 200 feet
Treads - Remote 300 feet
Helicopter Rotor
Propeller
Manipulators
quadrupedal
bipedal

But that may just be my ignorance of the subject talking. >^_^<

Pagan priest

First Post
Remote 100 feet - Wheels
Treads - Remote 300 feet
Helicopter Rotor
Propeller
Manipulators
quadrupedal
bipedal

I would have to disagree with this ranking.

First, I can think of no reason for a remote of range 300 feet would really be much harder than a remote of 100 feet. I would prefer to see it advance logarithmicaly: 10 feet, 100 feet, 1000 feet, 10,000 feet, 100, 000 feet each giving an increase in the difficulty.

Second, treads might be easier than wheels, but I'm not positive on that.

Third, managing flight via helecopter roters is increadibly difficult, far more difficult than bipedal walking. Please note that the UAV's in use today are fixed wing aircraft, usually with jet engines.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now, back to the original question of the post (sort of). I am planning a 1930's era pulp modern... robots just don't fit. If it were going to run something in the here and now, I'd leave the build robots in place (OK, maybe I'd allow an alternative if the player really wanted one...). Any good suggestions for an alternative?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Bran Blackbyrd said:

Remote 100 feet - Wheels
Treads - Remote 300 feet
Helicopter Rotor
Propeller
Manipulators
quadrupedal
bipedal
1. The complexity of the remote has little to do with operating range, and is mostly going to be factored into other systems.

2. Treads and wheels are at the same level of difficulty, there is little to no difference in implementing one over the other.

3. Helicopter rotor is more complex than propeller, but certainly less difficult than true bipedal walking (as opposed to the fake stuff, where it only works on flat ground - which is effectively wheels). Before the current crop of UAV's, there were quite a few which used rotors to fly. Furthermore, you can buy remote-control helicopters at model stores, but I've yet to see remote control bipedal walkers.

4. Quadrupedal walking is less difficult than manipulators which are capable of simulating a human level of manipulation (which would be required for disable device for instance).

Next up: for a 1930's pulp campaign, have you looked at the rules in the Adventure mini-game? The inventor in those rules effectively created wands from the D&D spellbook, only far bulkier and with a different explanation. It might be worthwile seeing if you can alter that class into an advanced class.

Last edited:

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Well, I was mostly being generous to WotC with my ratings. I'm with you on most of that, Saeviomagy.

Pagan priest, remote range may advance like that (hell, I don't know) but I was simply using the distances listed in the book.

Indeed, remote control helicopters can even be bought in the Sears catalog's toy section. Learning to fly a helicopter is very difficult, but building a small one is not. There probably isn't a whole lot of difference in the difficulty of building a model heli and a model plane.

Edit: Remote only has one 'r'. I should get more sleep before writing anything.

Last edited:

jonrog1

First Post
RangerWickett said:
If you do that, don't use the term 'Take 20.' Take 20 means you do it over and over again. It would be clearer if you just said: "By spending an action point, the Techie can treat a technical skill check as if he had rolled a natural 20."

Ah, thanks. Tricky, not using colloquiallisms in rules. I appreciate the fix, as its probably one of the things I'llbe posting over at my upcoming website.

Thanks again.

Remove ads