Defiance in Phlan

fr2itus

First Post
3 out of 5 rating for Defiance in Phlan

The plot forces PCs into a oneway-fits-all narrative. The NPC's are very one dimensional and if the DM doesn't spell out very explicit directions then the entire hook is lost or moot. Some minor stat and spelling mistakes but it's a start.

Spykes

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Defiance in Phlan

I DMd this more times than I could count. I did several slot zero runs before GenCon, DMd it at GenCon until I lost my voice and then ran it as an Expedition event twice at my FLGS. This collection is fantastic for what it meant to be. I've seen others say that it's "railroady" and attempt to rate it based on criteria of a 4 hour Expeditions adventure. This is not that kind of adventure. It is a collection of 1 hour adventures. The 3rd and 5th adventures are prone to run long, but they are doable within the 50 mins. that we had to run them. 1. Could be roleplay heavy, could be combat. Definitely negotiating involved. Perfect for players that are timid to take on speaking roles in the party.2. Straight up combat, but offers opportunities for strategy and stealthy types.3. Exploration and fun problems to solve with a time element.4. Non-Combat and fantastic story. Super fun opportunity roleplay improvising.5. More combat, but great choices mixed in. DM pacing is crucial if on a schedule. Each adventure features a faction contact and all start from the same location at different times of the day. Super cool tie-in with the chromatic dragons and Madam Fiona's daughters. Very flexible for different strength parties. Very easy to remember mechanics. Great NPCs and clear challenging goals. A+ in my book.

daringdirk1

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Defiance in Phlan

As a delve, this mod is great. Introduces all of the pillars of roleplaying in a creative way and serves as a great first experience for new players. Yes, it railroads players. That's not a bad thing when the adventure is only an hour and you've got lots of people who are new to the system, D&D or even roleplaying.

mflayermonk

First Post
3 out of 5 rating for Defiance in Phlan

This module was released at the same time as the 5e PHB. It is an introduction to the 5e system and is appropriate for new players or people learning the 5e rules.
The Good: The short format of each episode makes this easy to fit into many people's schedules.
The Bad: The plots are uninteresting and the factions do not come alive during the module.

Last edited:

2 out of 5 rating for Defiance in Phlan

I was not impressed with this one hour scenario. They're best played by experienced players working together as a team. Newbies don't know the game, don't know the characters, and are so new to everything that they have difficulty working together. As a result, advanced concepts like stealth, an attack plan, or anything other than attempting to slaughter anything in sight are beyond most groups. In some ways it reminds me of first-person shooters -- the teams who do the best are the players who practice together and learn to designate leaders. The teams that are worse off look out only for their own interests.

Blackwarder

Adventurer

As a player I love the format of the adventures, short concise and sweet, highly recommended if you are in a con and want to check 5e.Warder

Alphastream

Adventurer

This is an exemplary adventure - so good it should be mandatory reading for every organized play author who is writing an introductory scenario. The task behind this adventure was supremely challenging for an author: write five 45-minute adventures, each introducing an aspect of the town or environs of Phlan and featuring one of the five Factions used in the campaign... and they should work well together or stand alone independently. That is a very tough task to execute well, but it ran to phenomenal acclaim at Gen Con 2014, PAX 2014, and in countless small conventions and gaming stores since then. I first played all of it at Gen Con, then ran it at PAX, then ran it for my kids, then ran it in a gaming store. Here's what it does incredibly well:1. Simple solid hooks with interesting characters, resolved quickly.45 minutes is incredibly challenging. Just the fight portion is tough, but every adventure scenario features an intro in a tavern, meeting up with an NPC, and helping them with a conflict. The scenarios feature the three pillars of exploration/roleplaying/combat, including one scenario that usually features no combat at all. There are opportunities for PCs to be very clever and formulate quick but significant approaches to the presented problems. NPCs include a crafty gnome, a threat that turns out to be a faction representative, a surprise visit by members of a resistance group, a hysterical mother, and a mysterious dealer with whom the PCs have to negotiate. These scenes all work in the allotted time (though barely), but really work amazingly with an hour of time or more. Away from a time pressure I've seen players really dig into the presented concepts and enjoy resolving the situations greatly. 2. Action is placed in the PCs' handsMost of the scenarios place important tactics in the players' PCs' hands. Their actions have direct consequences. Examples include how they deal with a trap, the plan they create for a spy-style exchange of money for stolen goods, how they go about exploring a situation or speaking to NPCs, choosing to fight the enemy with keys before they unlock reinforcements, or just solving a puzzle. Players feel rewarded for their actions. 3. New players blossomI've been blown away by how the scenarios draw in completely new players. I've seen players that don't know which die is the d20 come up with great plans, role-play their way through situations, and do things that aren't optimal for in-character reasons... all because the scenario promotes this behavior in very subtle ways.4. Fast and fun combats, generally easyMost of the combats are great for new players, with a nice balance of slight danger and ease, plus a touch of unpredictability. This is especially impressive, as these adventures were written before the published Monster Manual was complete.Overall, I'm blown away by this adventure. This is a fine example of a writer taking a challenging assignment and absolutely rocking it. Shawn Merwin even managed to put in a few Easter eggs... but I won't spoil them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases