Defiance in Phlan

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
4 out of 5 rating for Defiance in Phlan

Defiance in Phlan is a collection of five mini-scenarios designed to be run in an hour block each, and they each can be done in that allotment - but just barely. If you've got the time to expand out each of them, they get that much better. I've ran all five of the scenarios many times at cons, and there is one that I do not enjoy running (#4) at a con. The setup is weak, and while roleplaying the various characters can be fun, it forces its hand a bit too much even for a short scenario. The first and fifth are blasts, second is great, and the the third is a bit long. I highly encourage playing all of them if you can, and if you're a first time DM make sure you've got more than an hour to run each of them.

Gilwen

Explorer

These are great short introductions to DnD 5e. Basically each of the five will play out in about an hour depending on your group and the choices they make. The adventures themselves are pretty one dimensional but I feel they do the job of making it an easy entry point for people just picking up RPG's and 5e specifically.

Raddu

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for Defiance in Phlan

Shawn Merwin has written a great introduction adventure, both for those who've never played D&D and for those just coming into 5th editions from prior editions. The series of 1 hour adventures each highlight a different style of adventure, all the while introduction players and characters to the Tyranny of Dragons storyline in the D&D Adventurers League.

greekramos

Villager
3 out of 5 rating for Defiance in Phlan

There's not too much here, basically just a few turns to learn the ropes of D&D. The episodes are vaguely linked, but even together they don't make for anything too compelling. I'd only run this with absolute beginners.

Riley37

First Post

My group did two of the stories, since we had PCs with links to two of the factions; though we did also, during downtime investigation, make a contact with another faction (no PC is a member of that faction) leading towards "Trees Tales Tell". Those two stories had flexible potential to spend LOTS of time investigating background, exploring Phlan, and preparing for the dangerous part of the mission, if that's what the players are up for, and/or if the DM wants to nudge the players towards "we have a real setting, please appreciate it". It even got me motivated to read the description of Phlan in the Forgotten Realms wiki, outside of our group's meeting time; and to write a political parody song about the Daoran dynasty, for my Bard PC to perform in a tavern. On another hand, if your group prefers to cut to the action scenes, that's also reasonably available.*One of the missions can be resolved without any combat at all. One stubborn PC managed to get himself into a solo fight against some ruffians, and the other PCs bailed him out of trouble. That's a mission for a faction which prefers to keep a low profile, so it's entirely appropriate. My PC spent almost the entire encounter Invisible. (Tactic of the day: setting up caltrops doesn't break Invisibility. Caltrops awaiting your pursuers, on the other side of a door, in darkness, are great preparation for a clean get-away.)*Another of the missions is for the "We Fight Against Evil" faction, and it has room to start with some investigation and exploration, but it pretty quickly moves into horror. Underground, darkness, under an old temple, check. Corrupt abuse of civic authority, check. Mundane evil human minions followed by supernatural/divine evil, check. An encounter venue which inspires caution, followed by actual magical fear effects imposed on PCs (make that WIS save!), check. NPCs whose sanity has already been damaged, check. Unpleasant moral choices - do you free all the prisoners, including the criminals and cultists? - check. Innocent in peril, horrible monster, check. The monster even has resistance to normal weapons in a way which reminded me of similar abilities of "Call of Cthulhu" monsters.*On the downside, our DM did not adequately increase the challenge. We figured out where the monster would emerge, it did so more or less on cue, and we finished it off in one round before all the PCs got an action. Which is too bad - since the PC who was last on the initiative count was a Warlock with a Great Old One pact, and he could have used eldritch magic against our horrible eldritch foe. The monster should perhaps have had a mate, which emerges for revenge; also, since we're in the Cult of Dragons storyline, perhaps it could have had a draconic breath weapon, as the result of unnatural crossbreeding/tinkering/grafting. (If you run this story against strong PCs, maybe have it first appear by using that breath, without even fully emerging from its hole... who wants to go in after it, there's only room for one at a time, as in the first "Alien" movie.)*Meta-review: Michael J Tresca said "I was not impressed with this one hour scenario. They're best played by experienced players working together as a team." Um, could Mr. Tresca point me to any scenarios, in any game system or setting, for which that is *not* true? Yeah, impulsive non-cooperative players could get their PCs in trouble, and fail any or all of the missions. I'm totally OK with that. (shrug) We each have our gaming styles!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter

Defiance in Phlan is five short adventures that introduce the main factions and storylines for the first season of D&D Expeditions. They're ingenious adventures, displaying a good range of experiences.

frupton

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Defiance in Phlan

This adventure is designed to serve as an intro to 5e and it does it exceptionally well. Very easy for new players to take a pregen character and play for an hour or two or four or however much they like and kick the tires on 5e to see if they like it. Meanwhile it crisply introduces the Tyranny of Dragons narrative and the various factions which the PCs might want to take up with. The plot isn't spectacular, but that's not what this adventure is here for. It's intended for new players to be able to sit down and have something they can accomplish in an hour. And for that, it's beautifully done.Also very easy for fledgling DMs to prep an encounter or two of this and then run it. Less intimidating than trying to prepare a full-length adventure. Have had several new people willing to try their hand behind the DM screen thanks to this one, which is very appreciated.

Chimpy

First Post

I DM a group after work at my office and this module is actually perfect because it's 5 1-hour mini adventures. The adventures seem to have a surprising amount of story behind them and there is quite a lot of detail on aspects of the scenario. I would recommend a look for introducing players to D&D or for some short session "1 shots".

Remove ads