Secrets of Sokol Keep

Waller

Legend
2 out of 5 rating for Secrets of Sokol Keep

This adventure is generally just confusing. Our group didn't enjoy it much.

3 out of 5 rating for Secrets of Sokol Keep

I played this during GenCon, hoping for this to be my introduction to Dungeons & Dragons 5E. The group was fun, but the adventure was average. I'm not sure if it's the format of organized play or the adventure, but my character didn't have any motivation to help anyone.

Timothy McNeil

First Post

While there is a small amount of RP opportunity built into the scenario, it does not amount to much. It feels like it is very much from the mold of 'go there, make a check, move on to the next encounter' instead of being open to player creativity. Having written that, it is up to the DM to sculpt the adventure into something that satisfies both the players and the campaign. I just don't feel that the way it is constructed that it gives the DM much aid in that endeavor. Secrets of Sokol Keep feels like a placeholder adventure. It does foreshadow events for future adventures (when played in order), but not in a manner that really helps fill in the blanks for the setting. It is not terrible, but it is probably the weakest of the first season Expeditions I have seen.

koga305

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Secrets of Sokol Keep

I enjoyed running this as an investigative adventure. It gives the players opportunities to be creative as they solve the mysteries surrounding Sokol Keep, and the handout with clues was a big hit with my players. The climax is also pretty neat, featuring a battle with cool aesthetics and giving your PCs an opportunity to decide the fate of the bad guys.

My only complaint is that the adventure requires some DM prep work to smooth connections between different parts of the adventure and to make the conclusion more clear. An inexperienced DM or someone running this without prepping it could leave the players confused as to what actually happened at Sokol Keep and why.

Last edited:

gweinel

Explorer

Rate 2,5/5

I was player in this adventure.

The Secrets of Sokol Keep has interesting main story but is has a very poorly written/envisioned 1st part that makes me wonder if someone reviewed the adventure before it get published. Many things mentioned from other reviewers about how difficult is someone to be involved in the story or about some things that make no sense: why the ships can not sail during day? why the black fist doesn't investigate? noone went to change the guard and the keep? and probably other things.
It is pity because the plot is really good.

Last edited:

Remove ads