Shadow on the Moonsea

fr2itus

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Shadow on the Moonsea

Good plot device and better NPCs but way too many unnecessary NPCs involved to do basic investigation. The island folk are good and could use more development. Overall much better than previous adventures.

daringdirk1

First Post

Overall, playing or running this adventure is a great experience. There are some particularly memorable NPCs who can really make the adventure in the hands of the right DM. Plot-wise, however, the story requires a ton of buy-in from the PCs just to get it moving and it's very linear. But for the right group with the right DM, it can be a lot of fun.

2 out of 5 rating for Shadow on the Moonsea

After the debacle that was a total party kill in Secrets of Sokol Keep, I was committed to playing my dwarf cleric Tobias as an aggressive type. Fortunately, this go round I had a set of four experienced players and another player on his own like myself who was eager to work together. We had two clerics, two fighters, a rogue, and a wizard. But like the other scenario this one seemed unbalanced -- in this case, a little too easy.

Alphastream

Adventurer

Shadows Over the Moonsea was a lot of fun when I played it at Gen Con 2014. We had a mix of new and established players at the table, and they all had a great time. The adventure had some very fun combats (one was particularly challenging) and some neat locations and NPCs with compelling interactions.

greekramos

Villager
5 out of 5 rating for Shadow on the Moonsea

I really liked this one, an evocative setting and a good mystery to solve. The story got bogged down a bit in the middle, but once that passed the ending was really a shocker! Lots of fun and excitement.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
2 out of 5 rating for Shadow on the Moonsea

I didnt realize this was for levels 1-4. We played at Gencon 2014 and the whole party was level 1. Th main adventure was ok, but it gets the low rating as when we got to the ship, the head NPC wiped out the entire party in consecutive rounds. It had 3 attacks per round, any one of them enough to kill a 1st level PC. Not that great of a first experience with 5e, especially at its launch event.

DiscerningDM

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Shadow on the Moonsea

This adventure is a little divisive, which I understand. You travel to an island of strange, backwards fishing people, who have a terrible secret.The investigation of these people, and the uncovering of a surprising past and plot are great.In Elisande, a 12 year old girl with "no sense of right or wrong", Tyranny of Dragons found its first breakout NPC star. She steals the show and was one of the highlights.The ending, a gigantic multipart battle with a planning phase, execution, and chase, along with a surprise twist, is extremely memorable, and decently lethal.From other review I can see that the ending boss (the true ending boss) has quite a few kills. I'm glad to hear it.

Remove ads