The Scroll Thief

tjf

Explorer
3 out of 5 rating for The Scroll Thief

I had fun running this adventure, although it was a little confusing to figure out in a few spots and required several reads.As this will be a DM review there will be minor spoilers.There are some inconsistencies with this module and DDEX1-5 The Courting of Fire with regards to Lord Sage. In 1-5 he is said to be a half-elf who is quite old yet still retains a bit of youthful vigor. In 1-6 he is described as an an older human with a bright shock of red hair. That, and the way he is alternately referred to as Lord Sage and Master Opanrael in this mod, had me thinking they were different people at first.The adventure itself had a good mix of investigation, interaction and combat. The Lords Alliance character in the group was properly horrified at the false nobility issue and enjoyed that little sidebar. The Marten Foss encounter wasn't the greatest and seemed a little forced in order to point to the proper section in the archives.It was a good mix of monsters for the group to deal with as well, although it could get a little dangerous for low level parties. The pacing was pretty good and the party enjoyed it. I would recommend running this before running 1-5 though, as this appears to introduce the group to Lord Sage, whereas 1-6 plays like you have already met him.

3 out of 5 rating for The Scroll Thief

OK and memorable but not very engaging. I don't know if it was the mod or the DM but the party was lost and needed DM guidance to complete the tale.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
4 out of 5 rating for The Scroll Thief

An investigative adventure set in troubled Phlan, the Scroll Thief opens with the PCs being (t)asked by the Black Fist to investigate a series of scroll thefts around the city. The trail of the thief will lead the characters from the ivory towers of Scholars' Square, to the depths of the sewers, to a forgotten tomb hidden in the middle of the city. The final confrontation will take the party out of the city proper into the swamps, and to one final surprise!

koga305

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for The Scroll Thief

I ran this adventure for a group of three.

As the characters solve a mystery, the adventure features several different opportunities for different sorts of characters to interact, then breaks up the investigation with some action. Then it's on to more investigation, where characters who are paying attention (and who have done a good job finding clues early on) will be able to pick out the vital elements of the situation and put themselves ahead.

The adventure's finale is particularly great and features opportunities for characters who are playing smart to make things easier for themselves. It also features an iconic D&D monster in a role where that monster makes sense, and gives the DM an opportunity to ham it up. Rewards are great here is well - there are opportunities for numerous different types of characters to earn something meaningful.

I'd recommend that DMs running this get familiar with the adventure's various NPCs along with the progression of events concerning the "Scroll Thief." A little preparation will really make this adventure come to life!

gweinel

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for The Scroll Thief

(minor spoilers)
Rate: 3.5/5
A diverse investigative adventure. As the other adventures of the Adventure Guild needs polishing.

As a minus: It is a rail road adventure with a weak link between the first and second chapter. As presented, the investigation part of the PCs isn't actually mandatory for the story. They learn the infos to proceed from the random encounter at the second part.

As a plus: Rich in role playing opportunities and quite good end encounter.

Last edited:

Remove ads