Tyranny in Phlan

Gilwen

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for Tyranny in Phlan

The balance in the adventure is off and can easily end up in a TPK in the first encounter. That being said it was a blast to play and that first encounter set the pucker factor high and we worked through the rest of it carefully. I think the intent for the Expedition was to be deadly and hard with some minor tweaking you can keep that feel without killing everyone in the first encounter.

Kroad

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Tyranny in Phlan

Played at winter fantasy as my first tier 2 scenario. Had a great DM and great table which always promotes a good time, but even still this adventure was very fun on its own. It is very much tied into the overall storyline and you definately feel like you are contributing to events.In terms of action the first fight was a bit of a nail biter for us as we were very surprised at how much incoming damage there was to deal with but we managed to all survive and move on (I later learned we played on max difficulty). There is (at least) one critical choice to make in the adventure which may impact how it all plays out but the tough fights continue throughout as there is no long rest available. Overall this is probably tied with outlaws of the iron route for favorite adventure so far.

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
4 out of 5 rating for Tyranny in Phlan

I ran this scenario several times at Winter Fantasy and had a blast each time. Reading through it beforehand I was struck by the jump in difficulty and scale from the Tier 1 scenarios (DDEX 1 through 9) - Tyranny in Phlan definitely takes it to the next level, which is required as the characters are getting more experienced as well. As it is, the scenario breaks down to three to five difficult combat encounters against a pretty epic background, so for players or groups that don't gel in tactical combat this can come across as a bit of a slog. The secret missions are fun and really let some of the players make some tough decisions about how to go about the scenario, but there aren't secret missions for all of the factions so some players may feel a bit left out. All in all a lot of fun and a lot of room for player tactics, but honestly not a heck of a lot of RP opportunity (unlike 1 through 9).

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
5 out of 5 rating for Tyranny in Phlan

Five small adventures, each displaying a different aspect of role-playing and the Tyranny of Dragons season, very well written.

Remove ads