Eyes of the Stone Thief

5 out of 5 rating for Eyes of the Stone Thief

I bought it recently to kickstart a new campaign, and I started reading it. I am not a huge fan of "megadungeons" but this is so much more. It's a very dynamic meta-environment, which the GM can adapt and shape to his own ideas. I can't wait to run it for my group!

Yaztromo

Explorer
2 out of 5 rating for Eyes of the Stone Thief

The challenge of this book is how to write (again) about dungeons from a fresh and novel point of view.
I appreciate a lot the courage of the authors that decided to face this very interesting self-challenge, but I think they didn't succeed.
At the end, what is left by this book is a kind of repository of dungeon ideas from which you can quickly pick a piece of a pre-cooked dungeon when you are in a hurry and (perhaps) low on inspiration. Well... I think there are a lot of available resources (on line, other printed adventures,...) for that.
I don't think "another" dungeon book was so sorely needed and the twist that they triad to put on this fails to cast a really different light, making it fresh and novel.

Jhaelen

First Post

I'm not fond of excessively large dungeons, so I shouldn't have been interested in this at all, right?
Luckily I've been reading a few reviews about this, so it soon became clear that it's not your typical mega-dungeon, at all.

While a considerable amount of the page count is taken up by a description of about a dozen quite distinct dungeon levels,
the real focus is on providing context and motivations for PCs to delve into the dungeon repeatedly.

What I liked best about it is that thanks to the excuse of the Stone Thief being a living dungeon, the maps aren't fixed.
The dungeon's layout is fluid and each of the described locations contains suggestions on how it may change between visits.
And this is in a word _brilliant_! It also happens to match my preferred GMing approach to a tee.

The layout and organization of the book is also outstanding: everything's cross-referenced, and there's a big index with additional information.

It's telling that I found myself wishing there was even more content (extending it to cover the heroic and epic tier).

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer

The system-seller for 13th Age.
This is one of the best adventures I have played and the best Megadungeon I know of.
First of all, the adventure is not linear or railroaded at all; the writer has provided a number of hooks and paths and opportunities; the campaign can be run in a number of different ways.
In a similar way, the DM can freely connect the sub-levels (each of superb quality) for maximum flexibility in telling a unique story, PLUS he can add other published material with no effort, because of the nature of the dungeon.
This adventure is a staple inasmuch it uses in a very conscious way the specific features of the 13th Age system, in particular the Icon Relationships system.
The creativity of the writer shows in a number of ways. The plethora of new fantastic magic items is stunning. The villains are many, and every one is very well designed. Easter Eggs everywhere. But first and foremost, the witty style in which this Moby Dick of an adventure is written makes the DM willing to read it for the pure fun of it.
A Masterpiece. If you play 13th age, YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS ONE UNIQUE THING!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases