CB's Grim Frequencies AP OOC -- COMPLETE

RG
IC

[sblock=Bat Cave]
2w35h0z.jpg

Credit: Conklin Presbyterian Church, available at www.conklinpres.org
[/sblock]
[sblock=House Rules]
[sblock=Wealth]We are not using Wealth checks in this game. Instead, each ex-con member of the FCC team will receive a $3,000 per month stipend out of which you are expected to purchase your own supplies and equipment. Please make use of Google to search for costs, discuss with the DM when you are unsure what something should cost, and keep your character sheet reasonably up to date with how much you've spent on a per-month basis. Special items may be requisitioned on your behalf by Marks through the FCC.[/sblock]
[sblock=Hit Points]When you level up, you may either take "average" hit points, rounding up at odd levels and rounding down at even levels, or you may roll your character's hit points. If the latter, provide a link to your roll. Average hit points means this for odd levels beyond 1st level:

1d4 = 3 hit points
1d6 = 4 hit points
1d8 = 5 hit points
1d10 = 6 hit points
1d12 = 7 hit points

and this for even levels:

1d4 = 2 hit points
1d6 = 3 hit points
1d8 = 4 hit points
1d10 = 5 hit points
1d12 = 6 hit points[/sblock][/sblock]
[sblock=Loot]
Personal Firearms Proficiency
Guns, ammunition, and concealed carry permit -- Hancock County Sheriff's Department, courtesy of FCC
[sblock=Acidpus Venom]THRALL. This thin clear liquid dissolves organic and inorganic material on contact. The venom is semi-sentient; it is attracted to movement (and possible food source). On a failed Fortitude DC 18 saving throw, the venom deals 1d6 Constitution damage per round while it devours organic tissue, and simultaneously deals 2d8 acid damage to its victim. A successful save permits the victim to avoid the Constitution damage. A humanoid with 1 or more hit points remaining whose Constitution score becomes 0 as a result of the venom's damage becomes a thrall. The transformation from humanoid to thrall takes 1d3 days, and requires a cocoon of water-based liquid.

On the first round of contact, the venom can be scraped off a creature (most likely destroying the scraping device), but after that it must be frozen, burned, or cut away (dealing damage to the victim as well). Against wood, metal, or inorganic material, the venom deals 3d8 points of acid damage per round, ignoring hardness. Finally, the venom acts as a universal solvent. Due to its corrosivity, applying the venom is a full-round action.

Cost: $15,000 per dose. Unavailable.[/sblock]
[sblock=Titanium Tin]PROFESSOR CHARLES BUKOWSKI, IU / SETI. The outer shell of this tin is made of titantium, and the interior is lined with industrial grade non-reactive polymer. The tin holds a quarter cup by volume of any liquid or solid, regardless of density, reactivity, or radioactivity. The tin itself is inert, and protects its contents from chemical reaction, combustion, leaks, and contamination.

Cost: $1500, available from Sinochem Group and sold only to research institutions or government entities.[/sblock][/sblock]

The metal door clanged shut, followed by the sound of keys jingling in the lock. Footsteps echoed down the concrete flooring of the chamber, growing fainter. Somewhere to the left, another door slammed. The quiet crept in, punctuated occasionally by the low tones of cellmate conversation, the flush of a toilet, the hum of florescent overhead lights.

Yours blinks. Your florescent light, that is. It blinks. Incessantly. Or, at least, it did. The first four days, it came on at odd hours. Two in the morning. And then off at 9 a.m. Inexplicably. Now, the sixth day, the flickering light wrestles with death, mostly dark but sporadically mustering enough energy to flare before sputtering once again. The passage of time matters in prison. If there was a pattern to the bulb's sputtering, it would be another way to mark the slow march of time. Hours bleed into days, weeks into months, until finally months bleed into freedom.

Not you, though. You're in for good. Expendable. You are expendable. And you know it. Another prisoner, another day closer to repaying their debt to society.

The bulb arcs sometime after midnight in the small hours of the seventh day. Green sparks cascade onto your thin mattress. A tinny sort of buzz reverberates in your cell. Or maybe from the corridor. It's hard to tell. In the quiet, a radio advert set to music plays. It plays once, a distant message in the darkness, then repeats. And then repeats a third time before fizzing out entirely.

You must [STATIC] the Wee Bee Toys store
[WHINE] Broad Ripple and acquire a BunBun
electronic rabbit within [BUZZ] hour. You must go
to that [WHINE] store. You must [STATIC] this
task within the next hour. You may go with as
many people [BUZZ]. You must not fail!​

Probably just some cop's radio transmission firing erratically, right? Right?

alley_by_joakimolofsson-d4ibvuw.jpg

This Adventure Path will consist of four short vignettes designed to carry PCs from 1st through 4th level. If we like the game and agree to continue, I may end up running the group through to 8th or 9th level. For levels 1-4, we will be using the Shadow Chaser campaign model detailed by the d20 Modern Core Rulebook (and the SRD). For those of you unfamiliar with d20 Modern, the Shadow Chaser campaign model is a relatively low-magic, low-"FX" model. If we make it to level 5, I will begin shifting the campaign model to Urban Arcana (higher magic, more fantasy elements). My concept for this game is that gritty real life as you and I currently live it steadily yields to accommodate the intrusion of magic, monsters, and supernatural horror.

If you've never played d20 Modern, no problem. I haven't either. I've owned the book forever, re-read it again recently, and decided to take it for a whirl.

[sblock=Shadow Chaser]Supernatural monsters prowl the modern world. Heroes, sometimes called Shadow Chasers, fight these monsters and offer some small measure of hope in the face of overwhelming horror. In this setting, the monsters of a million horror stories prowl the streets of Indianapolis. They stalk the fog-shrouded night beneath the moon swollen full and hanging ominously above an unsuspecting city. Shadow, the dark realm that disgorges monsters into our reality, obscures their horrific nature. Its properties work in conjunction with the natural defenses of the human mind to shield the fragile psyche of humanity from a reality that could shatter it. You will start gameplay with no knowledge of the Shadow, or monsters, or magic. Credit: d20 Modern Core Rulebook. Not my words.[/sblock]

[sblock=Prison]First-level PCs begin the game in Federal prison, with no equipment other than dark blue prison coveralls, a comb, a ballpoint pen, three pieces of paper, two postage stamps, two envelopes, toothpaste, a toothbrush, deodorant, foot powder, a pair of flip flops, a pair of work boots, a blanket, a 2" mattress pad, and one roll of toilet paper. You have been in prison for two years. No one visits you. I do not care why you are in prison, nor do I care what crime the U.S. Attorney's Office charged and convicted you of. Make up whatever you like. Guilty or innocent, it does not matter to me. If you want help using the United States Code to look up statutory provisions for Federal crimes, let me know, I can help you with that. Or you can Google it.[/sblock]

prison_by_joakimolofsson-d4ibr41.jpg

Last edited:

Character Creation

This game will accommodate 4-5 PCs. Character submission deadline: December 18.

Level: 1st
Action Points: All PCs begin play with 3 action points
Wealth: None. You're prison inmates* (but make sure you read and understand how Wealth works in d20 Modern)
Ability Scores: 25 point buy, no raw score lower than 8 or higher than 18
Hit Points: Max at 1st level
Race: Human only. All PCs may assign +2 to one ability score of their choice.
Alignment: Irrelevant. We will not be incorporating alignment.
Skills: Replace Listen and Spot with Perception. Replace Hide and Move Silently with Stealth. If you are not sure whether Perception and Stealth are class skills for your PC, ask.
Equipment: Dark blue prison coveralls, a comb, a ballpoint pen, three pieces of paper, two postage stamps, two envelopes, toothpaste, a toothbrush, deodorant, foot powder, a pair of flip flops, a pair of work boots, a blanket, a 2" mattress pad, and one roll of toilet paper.

Approved sources: d20 Modern Core Rulebook, d20 Modern SRD.

Approved Advanced Classes: Acolyte, battle mind, bodyguard, daredevil, field medic, field scientist, gunslinger, infiltrator, investigator, mage, martial artist, negotiator, occultist, personality, shadow slayer, soldier, techie, telepath.

*PCs begin play at FCI Terre Haute, a medium security Federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana. PCs may be either male or female. Please note that in these days of budget cuts, even a medium security prison houses violent felons. Feel free to have your PC have been convicted of any crime, even murder or DUI offenses (which are normally state crimes and thus convicts serve their sentence in a state, not a Federal, prison). Willing suspension of disbelief, and all that.

[sblock=d20 Modern Point Buy System]
Code:
[B][U]Score[/U][/B]     [U][B]Cost[/B][/U]
8           0
9           1
10          2
11          3
12          4
13          5
14          6
15          8
16          10
17          13
18          16
[/sblock]

[sblock=Equipment Notes]
Please use these updated Wealth DCs and sizes when determining whether your PC can afford the following Computer and Consumer Electronics:

Camera, 35 mm: DC 10
Digital camera, Nikon D7000: small, 2 lb, DC 17
Digital camera, Sony Cybershot: tiny, 0.5 lb, DC 10
Film: DC 7
Film, developing: DC 7
iPhone / Galaxy: dim, DC 15
Tracphone: dim, DC 4
iPad: small, DC 16
Desktop: large, 10 lb, DC 14
Laptop: med, DC 14
Chromebook: small, DC 12
Digital audio recorder: tiny, --, DC 3
Digital video camera: small, 2 lb, DC 12
Printer: DC 8
Scanner DC 10
Walkie talkie: DC 5
Walkie talkie, professional: DC 15
[/sblock]

[sblock=Character Sheet Format]
Player Name:

Character Name:
Weight:
Appearance: No more than two sentences, please.

Background: Please include a minimum of three sentences, up to a maximum of three paragraphs. If you are stumped for what to write, suggestions include what your PC did for her profession before being charged with a crime, whether your PC is guilty or innocent, how your PC has spent her time the last two years she has been in jail, or the attitude your PC currently maintains about law enforcement or the government.

Str 14 (4 points, +2 human)
Dex
Con
Int
Wis
Cha

Initiative:
Perception:
Defense: 12 (+2 Dex, + 0 class bonus, + 0 equipment bonus)
hp:

Fort 6 (Base 2, +4 Con)
Refl
Will

BAB:

Basic Class: Strong, Fast, Tough, Smart, Dedicated, or Charismatic
Starting Occupation:
Reputation Bonus:
Action Points: 3

Weapons:
Beretta 92F: Atk +1, 2d6, 20/x2, 40', Size: Small
Club: Atk +2, d6+2, 20/x2, 10', Size: Med

Skills:
Balance +5 (1 rank, +4 Dex)
Bluff +3 (3 ranks, +0 Cha)
Climb +8 (4 ranks, +4 Str)

Talents:

Feats: PCs may take the Windfall feat, but access to any Wealth gained as a result of this feat will be restricted until approved by the DM. If you spend a feat on Windfall, I will make sure you benefit from it. Just not right away while you are still in prison.

Class Features:

Equipment: Please provide a wish list of no more than five non-magical items, ranked in order of urgency needed.

Languages:
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Characters Approved:
Shayuri, D3@tH 0tT3R (Otter), Smart Criminal w/ Computer Use Savant talent
Kiraya_TiDrekan, Feral Li, Tough Athlete w/ Remain Conscious talent + martial artist/unarmed strike
Rubberneck, J.R. Lockwood, Fast Military w/ Evasion talent
Forged Fury, Cyril F. Kennedy, Esq., Charismatic White Collar w/ Fast Talk talent
Gribble, Thomas "T-dawg" Jeffries, Tough Criminal w/ Unbreakable talent

Character Sheet Status:
D3@tH OtT3R, waiting to be vetted by DM
Feral Li, waiting to be vetted by DM
J.R. Lockwood, waiting to be vetted by DM
Cyril F. Kennedy, Esq., waiting to be vetted by DM
Thomas "T-dawg" Jeffries, waiting to be vetted by DM

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Ahhhahahahaha! I am posting prematurely because WIN.

Also, d20 Modern, dang. That brings me back. :) I don't know what the game is yet, but I loves me some modern/near future gaming.

Good question.

Your choice. PCs may be either male or female. I will wait to see what party composition looks like before committing to a co-ed prison. As you will not be housed in the prison very long, PC gender is not important.

Shayuri

First Post
Alrighty...considering options. My first thought is a crazy anarchist hacker, but I will let it percolate a bit before I settle in on something.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases