[December] What Are You Reading?

Jhaelen

First Post
I'm currently reading Kim Stanley Robinsons's '2312'. So far I didn't find it as intriguing as his Mars trilogy. The story just doesn't seem to flow. There's lots of interesting tidbits, but they're only very loosely linked. It's a bit like an overly long coda to the trilogy.

delericho

Legend
I'm currently reading Dickens' "A Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Writings". Which, at the moment, actually means reading "The Haunted Man" - I'm leaving ACC until last in this collection. Thus far, it's quite interesting, though it's funny how often the same types of characters recur in his writing.

I'm also reading through the latest Pathfinder AP, "The Valley of the Brain Collectors". As is my wont, I read the supplementary material first and the adventure last, so thus far I've tackled the new monsters and the fiction. It's okay.

Those two will take me to my target of 60 books for the year. Which is nice.

Later this month, I'm hoping to read "The City" by Stella Gemmell. And then, if there's any of the year left, I'm going to make a start on "Gone With the Wind".

Collected works of Keats.

But after I took the Indiana bar exam this past July, I confess I read nothing other than Hermione and Severus M-rated "stories" on fanfiction.net for a solid month. Moderation. Or something. :)

Nellisir

Hero
Angela's Ashes. Which is pretty much awesome as advertised and just goes and goes and goes.

I also finished up Tigana (again). I'm not sure I liked it quite as much as before, but it's still a fabulous book.

I just moved some stuff and uncovered a few piles of books I read earlier this year, so I want to think about making some kind of recap post to highlight the best stuff. That makes me happy.

AuroraGyps

First Post
I've been reading the Odd Thomas books my Dean Koontz and just finished Odd Hours & Odd Apocalypse. I'm really enjoying them a lot. I do tend to like stories with characters that can see the dead, but I wasn't sure about reading them with the passing of my parents this Spring. However, the character Odd has some very wise things to say about people, time, and death, so I think the series is actually being a help to me instead of upsetting. Whatever the case, I'll be getting the next book out of the library asap and reserving the final books in the series for when it comes out.

FYI: I enjoyed the movie Odd Thomas and saw it before I started the series, but I have had the first two books for years and just hadn't started them yet. I think the movie is pretty good too and they did a good job of translating it and not making it as wordy as the book was.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Side Jobs, short stories by Jim Butcher on the Dresden files series.

This is the first reading I have done since the induced coma i went through in 2011.

Richards

Legend
FYI: I enjoyed the movie Odd Thomas and saw it before I started the series, but I have had the first two books for years and just hadn't started them yet. I think the movie is pretty good too and they did a good job of translating it and not making it as wordy as the book was.
I agree - it was a well-done movie.

I just finished Inherit the Stars by James Hogan, and am about to start the next book in that series, The Gentle Giants of Ganymede.

Johnathan

Nellisir

Hero
I didn't know there were books. I really liked the movie.

Remove ads