Is Dr. Who Kid-Friendly? [possible spoilers]

Janx

Hero
Doctor Who when it was originally started was a "Saturday Tea-Time" show. Translation: meant for the whole family. Over time it changed and matured. And changed more. And Matured more. Since the current producer took over, it has devolved down to a mostly kids show. It was always family "safe", but now it is targeted at kids (mores the pity), to the detriment of the long-time fans. Season 5 of the new show was so bad (plot holes, general illogic, piss-poor stories) that I almost abandoned the (new) show entirely (and I've been watching for almost 30 years, so yeah, it was really, really, really bad).
Watch a few episodes and decide for yourself.
If you like it, and want more, there are also audio programs (full stories--all original with original cast--done as radio-type plays) by Big Finish Productions that are frequently superior to the new show.

yes, but remember you don't like anything*. :)

*except Babylon 5 :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I pre-watched an episode. I loved it. It was not, however, something I would permit my children to watch before they hit high school. C'est la vie.

Which episode?

One thing about the show is that every episode is different. Different genre, different setting. Some are dark, some light, some dramatic, some comedic. Earlier this year there was a Robin Hood episode so aimed at kids that I struggled to watch it.

Bagpuss

Legend
Curious as it is pre watershed in the UK, ie generally considered suitable for family viewing. No swearing, limited violence... What violence there is being bloodless, no nudity, etc.

What put you off?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
As a fan in the show more in its first incarnation, I can say that that one is much more kid friendly.

It's not that the new episodes are "adult," it's just that the focus changed to be more adult orientated than kids. I'd say the original show would be very kid appropriate (as I watched it as a kid with very strict parents) but perhaps not as much in the modern one.

As an example, as a kid my favorite of the Doctor's companions with Sarah Jane. I think pretty much everyone my age thought so. In the new show, they brought her back, and had a conversation about what the heck was up with their relationship the whole time. It was very touching and sweet, but recognized that they were both adults. Something like that would NEVER happen in the original show: in fact Elizabeth Sladen (who played Sarah Jane) said many times that the rule of the show was "no hanky-panky in the TARDIS."

The problem with the older show is the effects are terrible. I can watch the old episodes but I don't know if people who have only seen decent effects could handle it. Try it out and see!

For the new show, if you're really conservative with what your kids watch, I'd hold off a bit. I think my folks would have put up a PG-13 rating on it, but they were pretty strict.

Bagpuss

Legend
You might want to try the "Sarah Jane Adventures" assuming you are getting Doctor Who through Netflix. If Doctor Who is PG, then Sarah Jane is U certificate.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I do not know if this has been mentioned @CanadienneBacon , but the episodes with John Hurt are some of the bit on the dark side. Just so you know.

There's only one episode with John Hurt and it was the 50th anniversary episode. Mainly a fun romp with three Doctors. I didn't find it dark at all. It was very light-hearted.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases